Joined 2005
Paid Member
I'm back.

I put in new JFets N [Idss 7.03] and P [Idss 6.93]

Double checked all resistors.

PSU measures 24.30 +/- V [This suggests no current going to board]

Trim pots are set in middle range [12 turns from end]

Currently get no reading on P1 and -18.57 V on P2

Turning the pots doesn't get any change.

I suspect something is blocking current from entering the circuit board? Enough current is getting to board to fire up LED.

This is a new one for me.

Attachments

• New left channel.jpg
    New left channel.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Can you take a measurement and tell me what the voltage is from pin 1 on an N channel MOSFET to pin 1 on a P channel MOSFET? If this looks like a TL431 problem, I have a couple (known good) I could throw in an envelope and send to you if there's a chance it might get you going.

Pin 1 is the gate? If so, my reading is 0.005V

I have a supply of TL431 to run through. thanks

Without the board in front of me I cant give other advise than to either look closely at the board, follow the PCB traces from P1 on each side, and once you end you at the next resistor/joint (following the traces from P1), attach your DMM to the joints/solder islands/resistor legs after P1 on either side/polarity, and measure the drop. Another way would be to dismount the board from the sink,and measure at the pins under P1, but… a bit more work…

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Chip,

Measure Vref of the TL431. See attached image of board. One meter probe at D2 and other probe at R9. If the TL431 is functioning properly it should read 2.5Vdc.

To measure voltage at MOSFET gate, probe at Ground and probe at R10 for N channel and at R13 for P channel. Should read around 4.4Vdc or so.

Attachments

• TL431 Vref.jpg
    TL431 Vref.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 132
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sorry, I was thinking of the AJ board which has some pads which would make it easy.

In any case, your gate-to-gate measurement looks funny since it should be basically
the voltage across R8, R9 and P1. Please confirm you did measure across the gates
of mosfets of different polarities (for example, between Q3 and Q6).

If P1 is working then voltage across R9 and P1 should be about 2.5V.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Chip,

Measure Vref of the TL431. See attached image of board. One meter probe at D2 and other probe at R9. If the TL431 is functioning properly it should read 2.5Vdc.

To measure voltage at MOSFET gate, probe at Ground and probe at R10 for N channel and at R13 for P channel. Should read around 4.4Vdc or so.

D2/R9 reading = -2.127Vdc VS. 2.5Vdc

R10 = -15.3 Vdc vs. 4.4 Vdc

R13 = -20.79 Vdc vs. 4.4 Vdc

So Mosfet gate measures are bonkers.