A 4-way Horn speaker

- Hi Joe , Thanks for the link , I actually saw your 2 videos about 3 or 4 weeks ago! I like watching Steve's videos , I think we are pretty much on the same page on many audio topics. I ended up watching the very cool video on your basement workshop 1st -- I've had to go back and watch it several times - AMAZING doesn't begin to cover it ...... And I Really enjoyed your Horn System Too! I think your in another league when it comes to machining , building , problem solving and creative thinking! - And I am very jealous that you got to live next to such an wonderful mentor. --

-- Thank You for sharing your home and very inspirational Audio Projects with us !

Best Regards,
Dean

Last edited:
- Hi Barry, did you see the other video about his basement workshop and the audio projects down there? To cool.

I don't know if you have seen this other website or not - - - let me know what you think.

Product Comparison Guide – Analog-Precision

Best Regards,
Dean

Attachments

• Ultimate_Processor(Rev-C).png
    Ultimate_Processor(Rev-C).png
    598.8 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
Hi Barry, I just realized that I had somehow missed this post -

"There's a huge choice of horns / drivers to choose from. If I was starting again, I would do mine differently. I'm impressed with the range of new drivers available and would build a 3 way instead of a 4 way. It also makes the crossover easier. Have you seen this one - E-250 Dual Planar Front Horn (Autumn Series) – Joseph Crowe"

___ Very interesting speaker... I like it a lot ... and I bet it sounds good too -- it is a little expensive at $ 2,000 for the top horn... and it's only 98 db ... I would rather stay above 100 db, I think - 105-110 db would be better. for what I want to do.
-- So if you were starting over what drivers do you think you would use?

Best Regards,
Dean

- Hi Barry, did you see the other video about his basement workshop and the audio projects down there? To cool.

I don't know if you have seen this other website or not - - - let me know what you think.

Product Comparison Guide – Analog-Precision

Best Regards,
Dean
Hi Dean,
Yes, I saw the other video. It would be great to have that amount of space, equipment & knowledge of how to use it all. I have a shed in the garden & some basic power tools, but it's too cold in the winter to make anything.
Analog-precision
I have seen your link before, but the products are outside of my budget.
Kind regards
Barry

Hi Barry, I just realized that I had somehow missed this post -

"There's a huge choice of horns / drivers to choose from. If I was starting again, I would do mine differently. I'm impressed with the range of new drivers available and would build a 3 way instead of a 4 way. It also makes the crossover easier. Have you seen this one - E-250 Dual Planar Front Horn (Autumn Series) – Joseph Crowe"

___ Very interesting speaker... I like it a lot ... and I bet it sounds good too -- it is a little expensive at $ 2,000 for the top horn... and it's only 98 db ... I would rather stay above 100 db, I think - 105-110 db would be better. for what I want to do.
-- So if you were starting over what drivers do you think you would use?

Best Regards,
Dean
Hi Dean,
I would probably stay with my vertical horn, but then use something like celestion axi2050 + unsure above that.
Following your link to klipsch forum, I found a great article about REW and time alignment, etc. I need to have another play with my behringer to fine tune my horns further.
We're away this weekend for my sister in law's birthday so no real work until next weekend.
Kind regards
Barry

Hi Barry, I was out and about .... and found a website with some interesting reading. It was mostly about a guy dealing with the bass in his room - but the fun part was he uses an active filter he created in conjunction with a MiniDSP HD unit ... (and shows the schematics for the active part) ... he combines them in a nice little project box. - I don't know if you have had a chance to actually hear a MiniDSP HD unit or not - we hear everyone giving their opinion about the units - and it's easy to get jaded, at least for me .... I had forgotten about a recent experience with one until reading that web page. I actually did get to hear a speaker at the last LoneStar Audio Fest here in Texas about 9 months ago that was ran off the relatively the Benchmark amplifier and a MiniDSP unit -- the Benchmark amplifiers is a small little thing for it's power - and not class-d either, not that i have anything against Class-D .... (some of my best friends are Class-D -- :D -- LOL) - sorry couldn't help the joke ... Actually I bought a Class-D amp - and do like it a lot - it's a Temple Audio Bantam One Amplifier... bought off Ebay at less than half the cost of new - :) ---- Back to my Original thought - the Benchmark amp with the MiniDSP unit as the crossover really sounded REALLY Nice together. I couldn't hear any artifacts and the speaker sounded Great ....of coarse the speakers were unfamiliar to me and it was at an audio show in hotel rooms ,but it just made me think that the MiniDSP unit might be okay - the new miniSHARK unit is 32 bit Floating Point w- downloads for 48 and 96 available .... I think I might just have to try one for myself if the Aurora Project doesn't improve, or anything else doesn't show up on the horizon, if you buy just the boards it's pretty inexpensive .

- here is the website -

SE1 / SubDSP Subwoofer Equalizer – RStAudio.de .

PS -- I don't know if you have read anything about the Benchmark amp - it's actually a very innovative circuit ... ( here's the link just in case, to a review of it -

Benchmark Media Systems AHB2 power amplifier | Stereophile.com

Best Regards,
Dean

Last edited:
I have the Minidsp 4x10Hd in 2.1 horn system. I liked the minidsp in the beginning, but I know there are possibly better solutions out there. To start with, the dacs are not great, and I only have one pair of digital out. You need a PC to set things up, and then you should unplug the noisy USB cable. I wonder if they have considered ground loops because I am getting a lot of hum in my two amps. Not so much in the third amp for subwoofer, but it is essentially a class D monoblock with a low sensitivity subwoofer driver.
I would consider this project before minidsp: Najda: a new DSP board for loudspeaker applications -

Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Hi Dean,
Thanks for your continuing ideas. Min8dsp have stopped selling kits and you can only buy finished products. I have reservations, but this is based on comments from friends who's ears I trust rather than direct experience. I can be patient, because I'm still tweaking / finishing the speakers. I spent several hours trying to time align the drivers yesterday, with mixed results. I came to the conclusion that measuring @ 1m distance is too close. I'll have another play and post results for comments.
I'm using 2 class D amps for the lower frequency so can see merit in them.
Kind rgds
Barry

Last edited:
I have the Minidsp 4x10Hd in 2.1 horn system. I liked the minidsp in the beginning, but I know there are possibly better solutions out there. To start with, the dacs are not great, and I only have one pair of digital out. You need a PC to set things up, and then you should unplug the noisy USB cable. I wonder if they have considered ground loops because I am getting a lot of hum in my two amps. Not so much in the third amp for subwoofer, but it is essentially a class D monoblock with a low sensitivity subwoofer driver.
I would consider this project before minidsp: Najda: a new DSP board for loudspeaker applications -

Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Hi,
Unfortunately najda is no longer available and there are concerns re nick, see DSP Xover project (part 2)
He tried to sell his business, but could not reach agreement & then went on his motorcycle trip.

Do you have any other ideas for similar products?

Last edited:
Hi Barry - It will be interesting to see how your measurements change with distance change . --- That's strange about miniDSP - I was just there a day or two ago and put three kits in my cart... I decided to wait a couple more weeks so i didn't finish paying for them - but I was at the pay button and it sure looked like they were going to let me buy them -- :)

Dean

minidsp - Focusing our R&D efforts

Hi Barry - It will be interesting to see how your measurements change with distance change . --- That's strange about miniDSP - I was just there a day or two ago and put three kits in my cart... I decided to wait a couple more weeks so i didn't finish paying for them - but I was at the pay button and it sure looked like they were going to let me buy them -- :)

Dean

Hi Dean,
After an email question to them re miniSHARC kit, I got an email :-

Focusing our R&D efforts
miniDSP's portfolio and community keep growing and we can't thank everybody enough for all your support!

As you may have noticed, our platforms aren't "mini" anymore and the rising engineering complexity requires our full focus. Combine it with our dedication to a high level of support for our customers and we concluded that it was time for a change and refocus of our core markets.

Our management team therefore decided to focus our energy on boxed DSP platforms as they represent the bulk of our customers these days. Starting from mid of Q2 2019, we will slowly stop the sale of the DIY DSP kits (miniSHARC kit/nanoSHARC kit/2x8 kit etc) till we run out of stock. All boxed versions will remain active. Also note that our USB platforms (E.g. USBstreamer/ MCHStreamer/UMA series) aren't affected by this decision as they remain a key part of our portfolio.

Rest assured that miniDSP remains committed to building innovative platforms and will always be available to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Scroll down this page to see miniDSP Q1 - 2019 Newsletter

It could be that the ones you're after will still continue to be available. I would send them an email seeking clarification.:)

rgds Barry

4-way + a subwoofer is necessary, I think.
1. Midwoofer will most likely be an efficient 12-15", which will not play much bass.
2. A large horn that is crossed at 400Hz will not sound as good as a smaller horn at 2000Hz.
3. And a smaller horn will not sound as good at 5000Hz and up as a dedicated supertweeter with almost no horn.

Why would a large horn sound worse than a small horn, never heard this before?

Measurements

Dean

Here are photos of some recent REW measures.
I started measuring on axis with JBL2405 @ 1.3m, then moved to 2.6m, then to listening position. You can see crossover points @ 249 Hz, 1190 Hz. I then applied a couple of time delays in Behringer. I don't know why there are a couple of extra peaks @ 1.2 & 1.4 kHz.Comments / suggestions welcome on how to proceed.

Attachments

• 1602_PA1-3.jpg
    1602_PA1-3.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 525
  • 1602_P1-6.jpg
    1602_P1-6.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 509
  • 1602_P2-15RH.jpg
    1602_P2-15RH.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 518
  • 1602_IMAG2023.jpg
    1602_IMAG2023.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 518
Hi Barry, thanks for the heads up about miniDSP ,,, I Guess I should have bought sooner - LOL .... maybe for the best , but it looked handy for a temporary easy set up to get me close .
-- I found another dsp unit that looks rather Interesting - not sure for your needs - you will have to take a look, seems to be a step above . . . .

--https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/digital-signal-processors-dsp/accuton-dsp-192-4-111-module/

Best Regards,
Dean

Indecision

Hi Barry, thanks for the heads up about miniDSP ,,, I Guess I should have bought sooner - LOL .... maybe for the best , but it looked handy for a temporary easy set up to get me close .
-- I found another dsp unit that looks rather Interesting - not sure for your needs - you will have to take a look, seems to be a step above . . . .

--https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/digital-signal-processors-dsp/accuton-dsp-192-4-111-module/

Best Regards,
Dean

Hi Dean, thanks for the link. Initially I thought it was expensive, but can be bought cheaper in Europe. I still have more work to do finishing the speakers - difference on opinion with my wife.
Kind regards
Barry

Hi Barry , been Busy -- and staying alive - LOL . I decided i wanted to try several different avenues, Iv'e got a lot of iron's in the fire at the moment , trying some crazy OB's, some MEH Horns, and some vintage Wharfedale W70 speakers that I got a great buy on ....
- Also bought into a Group Buy here on diyaudio of a RADICAL New speaker driver that's just been released ... Purifi’s PTT6.5W04-01A woofer -- Purifi's design reduces distortion by tens of dBs while remaining linear to extreme excursion levels. This promises to allow bass depth with low midrange distortion that is normally the providence of large speakers using 12 and 15 inch woofers in jumbo multi-cubic foot boxes , can be had from a ½ cubic foot / 15 liter enclosure 2-way system. , a lot of exciting options with them , with about 50% less distortion and a 6.5 inch driver that will do what some 12 and 15 inch drivers will do -- I want to try them in a FAST design first, and in a MEH Horn too!
-- Next I found a bunch of info on some vintage drivers that were getting Rave reviews on other forums and I got inspired to try them too, they are Zenith 49CZ852's they are Vintage 12 inch speakers that are a Full range driver --
- I haven't been exposed to enough designs so I thought I would give them a try --- I won two separate pair off ebay - In one bidding session a pair went for 512.00 + shipping - I backed out of that one - a little too rich for me .... LOL. I'm going to try some different set ups, including both a Front horn with them and a D'Appolito Open Baffle with the two pair of drivers , I also think I'm going to try another vintage idea and build the Open Baffles with sand between two layers of wood, Like Wharfedale SFB-3's ---- I picked up a bunch of vintage tweeters to try too - bought all at great/cheap prices. I have some ALNICO tweeters to try and horn tweeters too , also going to try adding the GR Research NEO-3 Tweeters in the OB set up ..... And for Bass I picked up several pairs of vintage 12 inch woofers to add to the mix. - I found some Wharfedale Alnico's , also found some 15 inch Sansui woofers too....... were going to have some fun -- :D
- I am running out of cash so got to sell some stuff , picked up some vintage tube amps to restore and sell - my first foray into building my own tube amplifiers... this will also be practice before I tackle my VTL Deluxe 300MB Amps that died - they scare the bejeebers out of me with their Eight- KT88 tubes in each monoblock -- :)
-- I do really plan on trying the Horns as well, but not sure about the Anima design yet -- I'm still not sure what to do for the bass ... I just have that to figure out , I may use a design from Inlow sound for the Bass horn, if I do things right I may be able to try it upright and on the ground. I may have to ask for some help on that idea... from him, well see .... well 5 AM time to get some sleep - LOL ........ I talk to much when I'm this tired.....

Best Regards, Dean

Last edited:
Photos please

Hi Dean,
Yes, we all need to stay safe.
Following our Prime Minister's address on Monday evening we were all told to stay at home until safe working methods could be arranged. We start again on Monday.

Can you show some photos of the different drivers, speakers etc.

Stay safe
Barry