A 4-way Horn speaker

Thanks Rewind , my prognoses wasn't good , they did a test to find exactly what type of cancer I have... and I am forgetting the name at the moment , but it was a VERY aggressive form cancer! - After the recommended surgery and radiation / and or chemo - i still only had about a 30 percent chance of making it --- the news was a shock - after all I felt fine , but after wandering around in a daze for a couple of days , and after finding out some of the side effects of that surgery and treatment ..... I decided I needed more time than a week or two to decide on what to do! I talked to my regular Physician who is the best doctor I have ever had and asked what he would do if it was him and he said that he agreed with me -- that the information that I had found about how long that the cancer had probably been in my body - (It could have taken up to 10 years to get to the point that it was big enough to be found ) was probably good enough reason to take more time - and I probably could take 4 to 6 weeks to figure out what I wanted to do without vastly affecting the outcome. -- I did research - I talked to friends and relatives , then I talked to close friends who's father had just been told 2 years before - out of the blue, you have Mesothelioma cancer and there was nothing they could do for him and he had 4 to 8 weeks probably to live -- Our friends said they went into high gear, did tons of research from around the world and then put him on a exercise program and a strict Whole Food Organic Plant Based Diet with a lot of fresh juices added in .... in 3 months he was feeling the best he had in years , he went in for check ups every month and at about 10 months the doctor said he couldn't find any cancer on the scans! So the Oncologist said to schedule an appointment for 6 months down the road! -- Unfortunately he was a career Marine and just a little head strong and was not enjoying the diet and decided that the doctor meant he was cured ... so he went back to his old life style of fast food and little exercise ... and very sadly died in 3 months .... There of coarse was no way to know exactly what would have happened to him if he stayed on the diet exercise program ..... but he was in a recovery that the Oncologists could not explain why he was still alive ....
--- So I really went to work learning all I could about my options and how cancer is dealt with in other parts of the world and what our latest research was saying too. Boy am I glad that I didn't just listen to that oncologist --- ( who talked like the Grim Reaper) and didn't just schedule surgery immediately.

I assume they have taken a cell sample of your prostate and sent it to a histology lab? In my lab in Norway we receive needle biopsies (15x1x1mm) or larger pieces (25x4x3 mm), and complete prostates.

I would still consider surgery, it could be life or death. Go to several experienced doctors, and ask their opinions. Not all doctors should be working as doctors. :p

That they could not find cancer in the Marine after drinking juice, could just be because you don't always get positive results. The fact that he died 3 months later would suggest he was not cured. Important to stay real to make the right decisions, but also to think positive. Positive thinking can help the body to heal itself to a certain degree.

But, yes, horns. Anyone found an affordable 3.1 analog crossover? I have three pairs of channels and a sub. I was hoping the LX mini crossover would be the solution, but I don't have time or knowledge to rebuild a 2-way into a 3-way + sub. The sub has its own crossover, btw.

Last edited:
Hi Dean,
Prior to my surgery, the surgeon advised the potential downsides, similar to what to you said - incontinence, impotence, colostomy bag, etc. together with the %. I asked for his / team recommendation and it was to have the surgery, hence went ahead with it.
Luckily we have the NHS here, so no medical bills.
Onto hi-fi stuff, I have a Voyd 3 motor turntable (I was involved with the early development in Sheffield) Orion tonearm & VdH cart. For digital, I have an external hard drive connected to Rasp Pi c/w IQAudio DAC running Volumio.
At the moment, these go through a Puresound L300 pre-amp - Behringer unit - 2 x class D amps for lower freq horns & 1 x Puresound A10 for > 1k2 with a capacitor to JBL2405 tweeter.
I didn't know all of the music which I listed, it was my friends picking tracks to stretch / test the speakers. As an example, Gregory Porter to hear males vocals and if there was any smearing from vertical horn - it passed.:)
I'll have a look for the tracks you mention.
Kind Regards
Barry

Hi Rewind , thank you for being involved in the medical community and doing your part to keep people healthy!
And - Yes 12 LARGE cores - ( :eek: ) - Ouch - were taken out by the first oncologist that we consulted with ........ We then found another doctor to consult , Then a third oncologist was consulted - he was the best doctor of the ones we talked to , both in attitude and was the most knowledgeable , ( and had much more advanced equipment too) - He then conducted more tests - including the " Polaris Test " to determine the exact type of cancer I had - - - anyway that "test" showed how aggressive the cancer was... and also showed that there was Only a 3% difference in my chance of survival if they immediately cut my whole prostate out - (with all the Bad side effects that would cause! ) or if they didn't cut it out ......
I went to talk to my Primary Care doctor - who is one of the doctors I respect the most and one of the best we have ever found, and asked a lot more questions - He said if it was him he would do as much research as possible into the latest information on cancer treatment - so that's what we did - Months and months of research - you would be surprised how motivated we were - !@!! ------- !@!! --- !@!! - :)
About our Best friend's father, Bob - the marine - he had huge tumors very clearly visible in his lungs , and after a lot of testing... they told him to get his affairs in order and gave him only 2-8 weeks to live. After the radical changes in his lifestyle - (all of his DIET and lifestyle was changed, not just juices..... ) After several months of the lifestyle changes , I believe it was around 6 or 7 months, the Cancer Tumors no longer showed up on ANY scans ---- CT scans , PET scans, or X-ray scans -- And the doctors did a lot of other tests too, because he was supposed to been dead long before this ------ So that's why the oncologist after his last monthly check up - (at about ten months I believe )-- said he didn't need to come in monthly , but to come back in 6 months to get tested again, no test could find anything.
We All have pre- cancerous and cancerous cells in us all the time - and our immune systems are in a constant battle - it's just that most of the time they are destroying the bad guys - winning the battle against viruses, bacteria, and cancer cells.... but in some cases - our immune systems get compromised and start losing the battles - and we end up with colds, flues, diseases - and Cancer - (this is of coarse a Very simplistic explanation, and it's a very complex subject) - but it can take years, sometimes 10 years for the cancer cells to grow into a big enough mass to show up on any of the "standard" tests that are in use today. -------
So, yes Bob was not cured , we are never actually " cured " they just say that - ( actually the Medical Terminology is " Spontaneous Remission " which means somehow, that they cant explain - you got better ) -- because it no longer shows up on tests, and they can't find where the cancer is at , or what it's actually doing. - So it's the easiest way to deal with a scary situation - is to say your cured........... and they want - what We all should want is to keep a positive attitude because in studies it has clearly been shown to make a great difference in who lives and who dies. ------ anyway ,
meanwhile - back to HORNS - I will keep a look out for a better filter solution for your horns and let you know if I come across something!

-- PS. if your interested I can send the link on how and why cancer forms in our bodies , It's very interesting research - there are some Scientist and Doctors who have made amazing discoveries! - I'm not a doc, but I found the lines of research and how they found the links fascinating !

Kind Regards,
Dean

Hi Barry , I've been thinking about going the Raspberry Pi direction as well , how do you like yours - Any recommendations , would you change anything ?

Hi Dean, I would say that my Rpi + iqaudiodac + volume software is on a similar level to £1k CD player. It can be improved by upgrading the psu. I like the convenience & sq. It will play 24 / 192 files if you have any but not DSD.

One of my options for my 4 way speakers was to use Rpi with I2S output to nadia then to 4 amps then drivers, but this is no longer available and I'm struggling to find something equivalent - all suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
Najda (sp)

Hi Barry , I went and saw an interesting video on RasPi and add ons -- by John Darko --

YouTube

--- noob question what is "Nadia" I'm not familiar with what it is, or what it does - :)

Thanks, Dean

Dean,
that's a really good video. I look forward to when they do one for 4 stereo channels & show how to make it work.
Apologies for confusing you, I incorrectly spelt Najda see here - DSP Xover project (part 2) :)

Hi Barry, Wow that's so sad on Many levels - I hope that Nick really is okay, .... but it's been a long time since anyone has heard from him ........... that sure doesn't seem like it will turn out well ...........
- I'm glad i'm not that adventurous - If something bad went down , I can't imagine what that was like for Nick ............. Also feel very sad for his family, don't know if He has partner and children at home ..........
- I don't know which would be worse to know you have no one - as in wife and children to miss you --------- or to be thinking of them alone without you ............
-- The other side is of coarse - The Najda DSP -Xover Boards - what a loss for people like you that really could use one!! -------- Now I want one too!!
-- wish someone who was skilled enough in the right areas would put them into production again - seems like somebody could sell them at a competing price against the current DSP units, And make a profit and do the diy audio community a Big favor too. - Bummer , Ill keep a look out for something that will do the job for you ....
-- I'm sure you've thought about it , but why isn't preamplifier into 4 active xovers into 4 amplifiers a good plan?, is the problem of wanting to correct for timing and phase angles too?

Kind Regards,
Dean

Hi Barry, I am also in the process of trying to find the best way to implement , both an Active crossover and I would like a DSP Room Correction as an option to - my room is both living room and Stereo room and it is not a great size / shape for my stereo set up-- at least not if it is to also do double duty for a living room where my wife is happy enough with it's looks to have company over - :D -
Because of the above I am out looking too - so I will post here what I find ... ( PS. this all might be old hat to you -- but maybe something won't be that could get you thinking in another direction if you are kind of stuck)

-- this first website is maybe something you had already thought of , but I hadn't considered what he shows further down the page - that I could change where in my audio chain I place the dsp unit ---- It is possible to diy a very good Multi- channel Preamp that would fit this scenario - - :)

-- The Case for Active DSP Crossovers | Tortuga Audio

-- This second Idea is a Very interesting option. It looks a little complex at first , but gives a huge amount of audio options , And it also has the very real benefit of using an inexpensive dsp unit , but still having VERY High quality if you can find or design good quality dacs, -- which might be possible these days on diyaudio - -:D

-- Planar Speaker Asylum

Hi Barry, I was wondering how the Horns were coming along , are you still following the "Aurora DSP " project , is it ready for prime time yet?

Hi Dean, it's been slow, doing a few bits to tidy the horns up.

I'm enjoying listening to them.:)

I'm following still following "Aurora DSP", it's not in a position that I can involved with yet, due to not knowing enough re - programming, etc.

Hi Barry, I am also in the process of trying to find the best way to implement , both an Active crossover and I would like a DSP Room Correction as an option to - my room is both living room and Stereo room and it is not a great size / shape for my stereo set up-- at least not if it is to also do double duty for a living room where my wife is happy enough with it's looks to have company over - :D -
Because of the above I am out looking too - so I will post here what I find ... ( PS. this all might be old hat to you -- but maybe something won't be that could get you thinking in another direction if you are kind of stuck)

-- this first website is maybe something you had already thought of , but I hadn't considered what he shows further down the page - that I could change where in my audio chain I place the dsp unit ---- It is possible to diy a very good Multi- channel Preamp that would fit this scenario - - :)

-- The Case for Active DSP Crossovers | Tortuga Audio

-- This second Idea is a Very interesting option. It looks a little complex at first , but gives a huge amount of audio options , And it also has the very real benefit of using an inexpensive dsp unit , but still having VERY High quality if you can find or design good quality dacs, -- which might be possible these days on diyaudio - -:D

-- Planar Speaker Asylum
Hi Dean,
interesting reading, thanks for some further lines for me to follow. What are you using for speakers? Have you settled on a design?
Rgds
Barry

I am still using my NHT 3.3 SPEAKERS - They will go on sale very soon , they sound great but i really have wanted to have a speaker that is at least 100 db - more like 105 db that would be even better. I have a lot of small tube amp designs that I would really like to try and build & there are some that are anywhere from 1/2 a watt to 4 watts - so the more efficient the better.... that being said , I also want the best sound I can find / build ........ so I have 2 problems , One - there is no " Best " speaker - LOL ... and I don't have the money to build them all to decide .... thus my delay and indecision - :D: - I am still thinking of the designs we talked about but my better half - AKA my wife has suggested that she would really prefer if my design could maybe be smaller -- :) -- It's not a " have to" kind of thing but it's made me slow down and look around some more.

--- So over at the Klipsch forum they are excited about something , they are kind of cloning the Treble/Midrange of the Rainier Speaker that Hawthorn Audio took to a few audio shows and had rave reviews over - basically they are stacking 2 of the large AMT-HEIL tweeters ( currently on sale for $155.00 each : ) --- which when you put in a wave-guide / horn can be crossed at 350 hz - they are still testing... but a few are selling their Horns w- compression drivers and moving to these! so hmmmm

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/ct6a7829.jpg?w=640

https://i.imgur.com/WTNBybY.jpg

https://community.klipsch.com/uploa...humb.jpg.efa6d9b206edbcece06b4578aaa2fe07.jpg

https://community.klipsch.com/uploa...(3D).jpg.28ec52bf6b5a60f425ee502f50f62acc.jpg

--- I am also looking at Synergy type Horn design.... which is said to sound Awesome and save space too! I don't know if you are familiar with the Klipsch K402 Horn - it is made so it can be one of two choices for the top section of the Jubilee Horn System - which is said to be Paul Klipsch / Roy Delgado's best horn system that they ever designed. The K402 Horn is 39.5 x 25.5 x 16.5 inches , which sounds large but it is meant to be a 2- way horn - and it is a hybrid design, part Wave guide / part Tractrix , this is to maintain excellent pattern control from the treble all the way down to the low cut off point to the Bass Horn with one driver. - There are several people who have modified their K402 horns to become - " MEH " horns - Multiple Entry point Horns - similar to a Synergy Horn , but easier to implement - Basically you are adding a couple of woofer injection points in the horn. - The people who have done this say that it may sound better than their large Jubilee Horn System! --

-- https://i.imgur.com/Qe4be2u.jpg

--- https://community.klipsch.com/uploa...00px.jpg.512b5ce9587e6ccfd5c150e50b65214c.jpg

--- https://community.klipsch.com/uploads/monthly_01_2016/post-26262-0-92940000-1452450997.jpg

Best Regards,
Dean

- PS - Also very interested in all the Amazing Reviews that the Pure Audio Project Speakers are getting .... Especially the Quintet and Trio Horn Speakers --- as well as the new ones that they have .... they also have a very interesting crossover set up -- All 1st order, w- nothing soldered you can plug in different caps or resistors to try different ideas out .

Home, Open Baffle Speakers - PureAudioProject

Best Regards, Dean

Here is a Youtube video by Steve Guttenberg about my DIY horn system for those that are interested. Perhaps, some here could use some of the information for building their own horn system.

ps://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=meet+joe+and+his+amazing+diy+horn+speakers

Joe

-- Hi Barry
I found a better picture of the stacked AMT- HEIL Project [

https://community.klipsch.com/uploa...humb.jpg.fd23438a39ad84037a3f81e85856ec29.jpg

There's a huge choice of horns / drivers to choose from. If I was starting again, I would do mine differently. I'm impressed with the range of new drivers available and would build a 3 way instead of a 4 way. It also makes the crossover easier. Have you seen this one - E-250 Dual Planar Front Horn (Autumn Series) – Joseph Crowe
Rgds
Barry