3 Transistor HP Amplifier with low dist

My right ear is slightly worse than the other so I use a balance potmeter at the front to compensate for that. B.t.w. listening to some recordings I suspect I am not the only one...

Agreed. And volume pot secions don't track either other perfectly, either. I like this option better than adding a separate balance control with associated high-impedance circuitry:
Bourns RK097221005C

A concentric dual-shaft 10k audio taper pot.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_20210706_202650.jpg
    IMG_20210706_202650.jpg
    988.6 KB · Views: 270
Finally I got time to finish the amplifier...
That´s a really nice build and DIY spirit though and through.
Goes to show that you don´t necessarily need a PCB when you know what you´re doing and with PCB its too easy anyway ;-)
Like that little enclosure too; reminds me that I have to drill a couple of holes in my chassis because it gets pretty hot after a while in a sealed enclosure!

That´s a really nice build and DIY spirit though and through.
Goes to show that you don´t necessarily need a PCB when you know what you´re doing and with PCB its too easy anyway ;-)
Like that little enclosure too; reminds me that I have to drill a couple of holes in my chassis because it gets pretty hot after a while in a sealed enclosure!
Thanks Joensd!

I do have a lot of patience to think through the way I want to have it look and how to fit everything in the small enclosure but not the extra patience to design a PCB and waiting for it to return from the factory. I hoped for the amplifier to function properly but did not know for sure, modifying it is a lot easier with a piece of perfboard.

The components I used like the BC550C and BC560C I had in a box for many years and finally I got a chance to use them. Other components I just recycled. And the components I did not have I got from the only electronics shop left in the city where I live and from China like the perfboard. Example, the on/off switch at the front is very old and the 'housing' of the switch looks like it is made of bakelite plastic...
Anyway, this way I keep the costs fairly low and it stays a hobby.

So, for me thinking how to fit everything is fun, actually making it is the challenge and listening when all is done is the reward...

When you're about to drill holes I advice you to use light oil or WD40 as a lubricant for the drill.
Use a template (like an old piece of perfboard) and preferably new drill bits. And take your time.