3 Transistor HP Amplifier with low dist

Done :D works perfectly

hsFsGCl.jpg

wJbqOjx.jpg

I8Jibdi.jpg

Thank you! Case doesn't even get warm, very happy with the sound too! Masking tape holding down the input cables is temporary as the switch broke so I just bridged the two pads of the JST connector...will have to replace it at some point and I'll come up with a more permanent solution for cable routing by then.

Last edited:
Original circuit had 1000uF. And this will work.
If you have 2200uF you should use this.
I now recommend 2200uF for 32 Ohms headphones.

This has been on my mind for a while, but I hadn't had a chance to explore it.

I redid the spice sim with the layout that I used for the previous (smaller) version that I made and the sim results were very close to the real deal. (THD% 0.00362 real versus 0.00346 Simulated).

I tried 2200uF and 3300uF for the output capacitors into a 32 ohm load.

Here are the results:

attachment.php

It seems that there is a marked difference when using the larger value for the output capacitors.

Now, it could just be an artefact of the sim, but it is definitely going to be worth testing the real world difference with the output caps.

Attachments

• T3 Cap Sizing.png
    T3 Cap Sizing.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 592
I tried 2200uF and 3300uF for the output capacitors into a 32 ohm load.
At which frequency and input voltage?
Did you give any values for ESR or ESL for the caps?

With 50Ohms load just before clipping I can see a difference in THD between 1000µ and 2200µ but no improvement at 3300µ. (freq.:1k and Vin=1.2Vpp; ideal caps though)

Unfortunately I can´t do THD measurements yet but it would be fun to see any differences.
But why would be make it difference though at 1kHz?
Smaller capacitive reactance? Then I´d guess the type/model/brand of capacitor with its parasitics could make a bigger difference in the end.

Measurements were with a 1khz input and whatever voltage that would give an output of 1v peak.

The output caps in spice were originally selected as Nichicon or Panasonic or something but when I changed the values, it left behind ESR of 0.1 and ESL of 0.

No idea why the difference yet, but I'll be interested to make some measurements when I can get a chance.