2stageEF high performance class AB power amp / 200W8R / 400W4R

Joined 2011
Paid Member
SA2015 - 4 channel - active cooling - finished and running

SA2015 V-MOSFET up and running all 4 channels! :)
Absolutely clear and perfect sound as expected! :)

Cooling doesn't need any extra fans, extra plastic helpers. It just works perfectly and there are no temperature hotspots detectable using my IR difference thermometer and for deeper inspection using the bimetal probe.

BR, Toni

P.S.: some cables are without extra isolation - this will be changed the next days of course! :)

Attachments

• sa2015_running_10v_div.jpg
    sa2015_running_10v_div.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 747
  • sa2015_ready_assembled_and_running_perfectly.jpg
    sa2015_ready_assembled_and_running_perfectly.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 746
Joined 2011
Paid Member
You must be preparing for Atmos 12-16 channels with all these builds! Well done. Now if only Modu would get a move on with my enclosure....

Thx! Since 2011 I have successfully built:

1. SA2011-AB2: 2 channel LME49830, 2 pairs V-MOSFET, 2 x 120W@8R
  2. SA2012-AB4-GC800: 4 channel bridged LM3886, 4 x 100W@8R
  3. SA2012-AB4-1000: 4 channel LME49830, 3 pairs V-MOSFET, 4 x 180W@8R
  4. SA2013-AB2-800: 2 channel 8 pairs BJT, 2 x 220W@8R, 2 x 440W@4R
  5. SA2014-AB4-1200: 4 channel 8 pairs BJT, 4 x 220W@8R, 2 x 440W@4R (cont. 4R only 2 channels)
  6. SA2015-D4-800: 4 channel bridged Class-D LiteAmp, 4 x 180W@8R
  7. SA2015-AB4-300: 4 channel 3 pairs V-MOSFET, 4x 70W@8R, 4 x 140W@4R
(continuous RMS output power at very low THD levels)

A total of 24 channels ... ;) ... built just 4 fun ...

In between my Class AB and Class-D builds I have made the electronics for a friend of mine for his 2 channel class A 50W@8R and 2 monoblock Class A 100W@8R amps...

BR, Toni

P.S.: As you can see, I'm no a fan of Class A amplifiers... ;).

Last edited:
SA2015 V-MOSFET up and running all 4 channels! :)
Absolutely clear and perfect sound as expected! :)

Cooling doesn't need any extra fans, extra plastic helpers. It just works perfectly and there are no temperature hotspots detectable using my IR difference thermometer and for deeper inspection using the bimetal probe.

BR, Toni

P.S.: some cables are without extra isolation - this will be changed the next days of course! :)
Great!!!
A piece of art!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The usual way is that the finger guard is outside of the box, and the fan is mounted on the back panel of the box. Your way is more complicated.

Sajti

For PC style optic this may be OK and if you own a finger guard which fits perfectly. This recycled finger guard was for 70mm fan and I need to bend the mounting wires. Hence the mounting inside.

BR, Toni

Joined 2011
Paid Member
housekeeping circuits - final hardware version 4.3

... my new programmer arrived. Now there is no more need for a parallel port. I'm glad that It works native under Linux using the MPLAP IPE tool ... :)

Software for housekeeping hardware version v4.3 is finished - only need some more days to be tested... ;)

BR, Toni

Attachments

• programming_housekeeping.jpg
    programming_housekeeping.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 1,483
Joined 2011
Paid Member

Updated schematics and BOM for the 115VAC / 230VAC version controller board. Mains inrush control board will follow ...

NOTE: Schematics and/or pcb gerber files are free to use only for non commercial DIY projects.

WARNING: this circuit provides very high AC voltages and is therefore very dangerous and can be lethal. I am not responsible for any costs, damage and/or injury using these schematics. Do not use this schematics if you do not have the necessary experience and knowledge.

Attachments

• housekeeping_v4.3_bom.pdf
    40.5 KB · Views: 336
  • mains_control_v4_front.png
    mains_control_v4_front.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,474
  • mains_control_v4_back.png
    mains_control_v4_back.png
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,432
  • mains_control_v4_schematic.png
    mains_control_v4_schematic.png
    184.7 KB · Views: 1,609
  • mains_control_v4_schematic.pdf
    58.1 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member

Speaker DC simulation. Note: housekeeping controller can be very fine adjusted in software how long a DC event must be viewable to be recognized as DC on output. In the example you can see a higher power 4Hz output generates a worst case 100ms DC event.

Attachments

• speaker-dc-sim.asc
    8.3 KB · Views: 116
  • housekeeping_speaker_dc_sweep.png
    housekeeping_speaker_dc_sweep.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 348
  • housekeeping_4hz_high_output_power.png
    housekeeping_4hz_high_output_power.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 900
Joined 2011
Paid Member

... attached the relay board.

It is possible to use the PCB also for 115V AC mains:

• resistor R1 - R8 values have to be reduced to 47R - 68R
  • max. 600VA toroids if copper thickness of pcb is 70µ.
  • other relay types are needed with higher current at 115V AC
BOM: see post #1674

NOTE: Schematics and/or pcb gerber files are free to use only for non commercial DIY projects.

WARNING: this circuit provides very high AC voltages and is therefore very dangerous and can be lethal. I am not responsible for any costs, damage and/or injury using these schematics. Do not use this schematics if you do not have the necessary experience and knowledge.

Attachments

• mains_inrush_top.png
    mains_inrush_top.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 473
  • mains_inrush_bottom.png
    mains_inrush_bottom.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 368
  • mains_inrush_schematic.png
    mains_inrush_schematic.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 676
  • mains_inrush_schematic.pdf
    38.9 KB · Views: 293
Joined 2011
Paid Member

USB control and remote power on module:

Attachments

• usb_and_remote_control_schematic.pdf
    37.9 KB · Views: 224
  • usb_and_remote_control_schematic.png
    usb_and_remote_control_schematic.png
    131.8 KB · Views: 498
  • usb_and_remote_control_bottom.png
    usb_and_remote_control_bottom.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 285
  • usb_and_remote_control_top.png
    usb_and_remote_control_top.png
    36 KB · Views: 351
  • usb_and_remote_control_2.jpg
    usb_and_remote_control_2.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 396
  • usb_and_remote_control_1.jpg
    usb_and_remote_control_1.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 661
Astx,
I prefer to use a series set of limiting resistor. eg. 4 off 10r 5W gives an equivalent 40r 20W that uses very thick wire in the wire wound resistor elements.
Using a paralleled arrangement of 4off 160r 5W for the same 40r 20W uses lots of very thin wire for the elements.
I believe that the thick wire is more tolerant of current transients even though it is being asked to pass all the current compared to the paralleled arrangement where each resistor passes only 25% of the current.

The series arrangement also allows Builders to substitute Power Thermistors for the resistors if they prefer.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Astx,
I prefer to use a series set of limiting resistor. eg. 4 off 10r 5W gives an equivalent 40r 20W that uses very thick wire in the wire wound resistor elements.
Using a paralleled arrangement of 4off 160r 5W for the same 40r 20W uses lots of very thin wire for the elements.
I believe that the thick wire is more tolerant of current transients even though it is being asked to pass all the current compared to the paralleled arrangement where each resistor passes only 25% of the current.

The series arrangement also allows Builders to substitute Power Thermistors for the resistors if they prefer.

Maybe you are right. I have taken the decision to go for parallel VITROHM a long time ago due to the high peak power feature. The peak power is very high using VITROHM KH208-8 series mostly not dependent on their wire thickness (datasheet). Up to 500W peak for a short time period for e.g. 200ms. If you allow cooling down (which is controlled in software - cooling time for repowering can be configured in sec steps) you can do this on a regularly basis. One failed resistor in a series arrangement and you need maintenance. Using 4 smaller resistors paralleled is tolerant for up to 2 defective resistors.
The circuit is tolerant for using NTCs instead too. The software controlled delay can help to avoid too early repowering and keep the NTC cool enough to do its work.

BR, Toni

Last edited: