Keantoken's Aurum-X 300w Amp with LatFETs

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Vunce,
I think a 50v trafo will work fine as that is good for 70vdc on the FE stage and that should be enough of a difference for a 63v (200w) power stage. The place that it will matter is when playing full power as it is meant to drive the outputs without itself hitting clip.

Speaking of FE’s - the revised v002 FE PCBs just arrived today. These have the layout connection error fixed.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 241CBDA2-DEAF-46DD-94CC-AA877D72DDC6.jpeg
    241CBDA2-DEAF-46DD-94CC-AA877D72DDC6.jpeg
    799.1 KB · Views: 1,155
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This is going to be fun. I wonder if I should invest in a Variac for first start up to avoid magic smoke from blowing out of those expensive latFETs? I usually use a series 10ohm 10W resistor on the rails between the PSU and the amp, but here, the PSU rails are integrated with the amp and there is no separate place other than to change the R in the CRC it a big 10ohm. Or use a light bulb tester setup.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Yeah, I always use a variac for first power up, It’s a handy tool to have.
Even with your monster donut (trafo) collection there are times you just don’t have the “right” one, use the variac to dial in the voltage needed to test your circuit ;)

Do you think the FE psu would benefit from being regulated?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
A case of regulitus I see. :)

I suppose regulated is not as important as ripple free. The front end probably has a very high PSRR already, but it never hurts to smooth it as much as possible. However, the built in PSU won’t let you do that unless you bypass it and send it your own regulated +/-70v supply. Another way is to use a small MHz DC-DC isolated output switching supply. Those usually have regulation to provide a set voltage.

I am going to see how quiet the standard configuration is before messing with it.

@Keantoken, what do we need to do to run the front end stand-alone today test it out first? Besides providing PSU rails, do we need to connect output to feedback node etc? I want to get this thing to run as a stand-alone preamp capable of +/-70v swings into a 10k load before I use it with the power stage.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
My two 600VA Antek AN-6458 trafos just arrived today. That’s a lot of iron/copper. Heaveee!

I vote for a regulated front end because the bias and off set "circuits" will always stay stable and not vary with possible power supply variations.

I wonder if the 150v regulator I used on my RTR SSR speaker protection can work here. No, up to 15v output only on the NCP781BMN150TAG.

Last edited:
This is going to be fun. I wonder if I should invest in a Variac for first start up to avoid magic smoke from blowing out of those expensive latFETs? I usually use a series 10ohm 10W resistor on the rails between the PSU and the amp, but here, the PSU rails are integrated with the amp and there is no separate place other than to change the R in the CRC it a big 10ohm. Or use a light bulb tester setup.

You could at least make a dim bulb tester for almost nothing as a precaution for anything you turn on the first time. Both is nice.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The trafo's are here. One never fully appreciates the sheer size and weight of a 600VA trafo. This is AN-6458.

attachment.php

I placed my order to Mouser for the BOM for the FE. $36/ch - not bad at all. I am thinking that the FE board might make a very nice and powerful preamp board for driving 0dB gain amps that need lots of swing.

Attachments

• AurumX-build-trafos-01.jpg
    AurumX-build-trafos-01.jpg
    503.7 KB · Views: 2,741
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I made some progress in October assembling the FE boards but my work has gotten so busy the project has stalled.

Here are the assembled FE boards:
885634d1603086205-aurum-300w-class-ab-amp-gb-aurum-fe-build-01-jpg

885636d1603086205-aurum-300w-class-ab-amp-gb-aurum-fe-build-03-jpg

885637d1603086205-aurum-300w-class-ab-amp-gb-aurum-fe-build-04-jpg

885638d1603086205-aurum-300w-class-ab-amp-gb-aurum-fe-build-05-jpg

I was considering this for a chassis and the color is fitting. The question is will it be big enough to hold the MB's on the heatsink with the FE boards sticking into the main cavity with dual 600VA trafos? Seems tight.
Full aluminum amplifier chassis / Class A amplifier / After class / tube AMP / AMP Enclosure / case / DIY box (430*200*375mm)|Amplifier| - AliExpress

Luckily, I was able to ask Vunce and he agreed to help me assemble the verification build. Now, I need to ship him 28lbs of trafos and the FE boards and all the Exicons.

Thank you Vunce! We will see progress once again as soon as his bench clears of the current preamp project.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have some good news: after a long hiatus, the Aurum-X project is finally going to get some TLC as a member has volunteered to be a verification builder. I am simply too busy lately with commercial projects to work on a complex project like this. This person has already put together a Mouser order, ordered the trafo, and about to order the lateral MOSFETs from Profusion. Anyhow, good to see this very interesting project back on the saddle. :)