VituixCAD

The Y-axis in the SPL window is scaled and shifted with the mouse. But I was talking about the X axis. The frequency axis. On the possibility of scaling the frequency axis.

Attachments

• Scaling.PNG
    Scaling.PNG
    79.1 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
HI guys....I just noticed the microphone distance function does do anything but move spl up and down....IRL bass starts to attenuate as distance is increased.....is there something I am doing wrong? I took my measurements at the mouth of the horn....I guess I need to take a measurement at listening distance instead...

^I was just teasing. Program is freeware so no need to donate a dime for personal use.
Nevertheless many DIY enthusiasts are willing to pay also for software as they pay for drivers, enclosure materials, cables, filter components, measurement gear and energy. The rest are very poor or selfish predators and let stupids use thousands of hours to please the others. Try to guess how this affects to feature requests, lifetime and availability as freeware.

I'm actually surprised that is has been freeware for all this time instead of taking on a more "shareware" approach like ARTA, where it is free to use but with some limitations that require a paid license, like saving project files.

VCAD was protected shareware before version 1.0: from 0.1.0.21 (2014-12-31) to 0.1.4.18 (2016-09-06). Main reasons for freeware:
- Software protection (as individual builds) requires extra work especially with daily...weekly upgrades.
- Some ideas and parts are open source or received from diy community. See credits in About box.
- This wouldn't be profitable business as a daytime job so I try to avoid excessive income and starting a company.
- Less responsibilities.
- Many diy enthusiast and professionals are willing to donate/pay voluntarily so protection is not mandatory.

I have two ideas, nothing big, but I just post it.

1. It would be nice if "ctrl+tab" would switch between crossover Variants in order of last used rather than "driver, crossover, room" tabs. It would make comparison between variants faster. I rarely use those tabs above in comparison to switching between crossover variants.
2. I rather see units for all values on the crossover schema as they appear in the table below. Everything in one unit (uF, mH, ohm) instead of lower units for small values (nF, mOhm, uH).

Greetings !

Thanks for the excellent software!

I've just started using the new minimum phase feature, which I reckon is the same as deriving phase from frequency response with Hilbert transform? (as you can do in XSim)

But I get vastly different results in VituixCAD compared to XSim for some reason. One would expect some differences since you define tails manually in XSim (and automatically in VituixCAD it seems?), but not this large of a discrepancy:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-29 at 18.36.07.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-29 at 18.36.07.png
    909.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Screenshot 2021-03-29 at 18.35.52.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-29 at 18.35.52.png
    808.7 KB · Views: 205
Thanks for the excellent software!

I've just started using the new minimum phase feature, which I reckon is the same as deriving phase from frequency response with Hilbert transform? (as you can do in XSim)

But I get vastly different results in VituixCAD compared to XSim for some reason. One would expect some differences since you define tails manually in XSim (and automatically in VituixCAD it seems?), but not this large of a discrepancy:

Is this coaxial speaker? If not enter driver location.

Last edited:
My guess is that you've inverted both measurement data in Drivers tab and driver instance in XO so polarities are the same.

That was my first hunch as well, but nope. Only inverted in driver instance in XO. Woofer delay is set to the same 1.4 inches in XSim and 35 mm in VituixCAD:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 16.11.01.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 16.11.01.png
    913.3 KB · Views: 169
  • Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 16.10.37.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 16.10.37.png
    648 KB · Views: 177