IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...

Hi Wlowes,

I replaced all simple diodes/TO-220 diodes with LT4320; Can I hear the difference?
...not really. I don't remember that I have a "wow" feeling.

I have heard a lot of praise of LT4320 in power amps; why not try it in digital?
It does eliminate ringing/spikes from the rectification and I believe it is a good tech to embrace.

The FET I used is: IPP029N06NAKSA1 by Infineon.
I read the posts on the "LT4320 rectifier" and get the recommended list of FETs.

Do not want the pie

I would be interested in building an 8ch version with a MiniSHARC in front of it all. Have some decent PSUs, a few nice opamps laying around etc.

This would be a standalone box with AES in and 8 Analog out. Not music player but more of a speaker management system.

1, Is this even possible to build this without RPi?

2, How would I deal with clock distribution form the MiniSHARC? McFifo PIFifo seem to have 1 set for each output.

3, Could use the controller to just set and forget registers? (one by one for each, then unplug).

4, Could I somehow have simultaneous volume control of 4 DACs ? (IR and hope I get lucky?) Perhaps I do need 4 controllers after all, but is there a way to "sync" volume for 4 dacs?

On the IV board.

5, Is it safe to assume that U3 is not needed if only balanced out is used?

6, What R values do I modify if I would like to adjust the gain a bit here and there.

Thanks

I put my little stack of IanCanada goodness in a too-large enclosure that I got from ebay. I wanted a Roon endpoint but also able to do airplay. So I settled on RoPieee for the software side of things (although I also have a Volumio SD card as well). I found a case that fits the rPi 7" touch screen nicely, and machined out a suitable pocket in the front panel and machined some cutouts on the back. There has got to be a market for cases like this.

I made a basic power supply to get me rolling (to be improved later).

The output from the I/V board goes to a Hypex nCore OEM module. I've adjusted the i/v resistors slightly to set the gain for my speakers in a nice midpoint.

This system is currently running with a set of Quad 2805's in my shop. The digital front end combined with the nCore amp and Quads is super transparent and revealing without being harsh. It's go the precision of a schalpel for music.

Here's a few pictures:

http://quadesl.com/diyaudio/streamer/IMG_6592.jpg
http://quadesl.com/diyaudio/streamer/IMG_6596.jpg
http://quadesl.com/diyaudio/streamer/IMG_6601.jpg
http://quadesl.com/diyaudio/streamer/IMG_6608.jpg
http://quadesl.com/diyaudio/streamer/IMG_6610.jpg
http://quadesl.com/diyaudio/streamer/IMG_6611.jpg

Sheldon

Hi,

Which capacitors do you use?
Did you already tried this mod?

Thanks,
Ad.

Just 2pcs of 3F supercaps in series. Yes there was a big improvement.
However, It rendered my RPi Unbootable so I took them off.
Instead, I put a 10,000uF low ESR cap in; both my friend and I agree it Still makes a Very positive sonic improvement. ( and I have already taken away all SMD e-caps from Fifopi).
I will put a second 10K cap in later.

I put my little stack of IanCanada goodness in a too-large enclosure that I got from ebay. I wanted a Roon endpoint but also able to do airplay. So I settled on RoPieee for the software side of things (although I also have a Volumio SD card as well). I found a case that fits the rPi 7" touch screen nicely, and machined out a suitable pocket in the front panel and machined some cutouts on the back. There has got to be a market for cases like this.

I made a basic power supply to get me rolling (to be improved later).

The output from the I/V board goes to a Hypex nCore OEM module. I've adjusted the i/v resistors slightly to set the gain for my speakers in a nice midpoint.

This system is currently running with a set of Quad 2805's in my shop. The digital front end combined with the nCore amp and Quads is super transparent and revealing without being harsh. It's go the precision of a schalpel for music.

Sheldon

Hey Sheldon,
It looks fantastic! Just like a commercially released product!
What kind of 7” screen are you using?
It seems to Always have compatibility issue when it comes to matching the led screen with the music app. Do you need to update software driver to make the screen work?

Hey Sheldon,
It looks fantastic! Just like a commercially released product!
What kind of 7” screen are you using?
It seems to Always have compatibility issue when it comes to matching the led screen with the music app. Do you need to update software driver to make the screen work?

I'm using the official raspberry pi 7" touchscreen. It doesn't use the HDMI port, but rather the ribbon cable at the end of the rPi. It's about twice the price of the pi ($75) but works with everything I've thrown at it. I have tried it with Raspbian, and with Volumio, and RoPieee. In fact with RoPieee it's the only screen that is compatable. Both volumio and RoPiee didn't need anything more than to be configured for the screen using their web interface.

Roon and RoPieee let you drop these screens anywhere you'd like and point them to any zone in your network for info and control. The control is limited to volume, play pause, and ffw/rew.

Sheldon

Just 2pcs of 3F supercaps in series. Yes there was a big improvement.

However, It rendered my RPi Unbootable so I took them off.

Instead, I put a 10,000uF low ESR cap in; both my friend and I agree it Still makes a Very positive sonic improvement. ( and I have already taken away all SMD e-caps from Fifopi).

I will put a second 10K cap in later.

Thanks for the reply, do you have some pictures? [emoji4]

Why taking away the smd e-caps?

Thanks for the reply, do you have some pictures? [emoji4]

Why taking away the smd e-caps?

The idea came from post #1382 where Umacus took away all SMD caps and claimed it sounded much better.

I simply followed his bold modding and I was extremely pleased with the result.
I told my friend to do the same and he was surprised with the improvement.

I told my friend it would be even better to have a 10,000uF decoupling cap in place of SMD cap (Panasonic low esr type). He did and very happy with these two mods.

I now added the second cap there....
So much fun and surprise!

Attachments

• 7AA407D5-CBDA-40FA-A55D-2009CAA73333.jpg
    7AA407D5-CBDA-40FA-A55D-2009CAA73333.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 547
The idea came from post #1382 where Umacus took away all SMD caps and claimed it sounded much better.

I simply followed his bold modding and I was extremely pleased with the result.
I told my friend to do the same and he was surprised with the improvement.

I told my friend it would be even better to have a 10,000uF decoupling cap in place of SMD cap (Panasonic low esr type). He did and very happy with these two mods.

I now added the second cap there....
So much fun and surprise!

Just need to supply the clocks their own supply now..:lickface: