IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...

hello. Is there a large improvement from doing this ?
Using Ian's LiFePO4 supply, I don't think I have a way to supply three separate 3.3v to the dac while also supplying 13.2v to the IV board. Are folks doing these 3 separate supplies to the dac all using transformer output?
Sorry for ignorance, I'm really just a solder slinger who likes to play along while the smart guys lead the way :)

Serious replay clicks and pops

Apologies for this long-winded post, but I hope that someone amongst my peers can offer any suggestions or insights into a problem I am having with a newly purchased Ian Canada FiFoPi and Transport Pi, which I want to use as a music streamer?
First of all I have to say that SQ is excellent, which is why I would like to get to the bottom of this and the DAC it is feeding into is an Esoteric D-05. I do not have any problems with my normal streamer, which is a Soundaware D100, I am not using Wi-Fi connections, just ethernet from a Synology NAS.
The problem, at is best, is a click sound through the speakers when starting or changing a track, but sometimes it can be so violent, it actually trips the dc protection system on 2 different power amps. If I allow the playlist to proceed from track to track, it is much better, or even absent.

I have tried the following;
OS – Volumio and Moode, no difference, although slightly better on the latter when setting the SOX up sampling to 32bit/*, but not a cure. Can happen when changing from 16 to 24-bit tracks, but also going from say FLAC to WAV at same bitrate.
Raspberry Pi variants – Pi Zero (+ ethernet HAT), Pi 3 model B+ and Pi 2 model B, no difference, even tried a Sparky SBC, but no suitable driver in Volumio for FoFoPi
Power supplies – toroidal and E core transformers, with and without snubbers, both shunt and LDO series regs, no difference.
Casework – metal earthed and insulated, no difference
Various SPDIF Cables from Transport Pi to DAC, no difference
BNC and RCA SPDIF outputs from Transport Pi, no difference

So, the only conclusions that I can come to are that there is either a fundamental problem with Raspberry Pi boards, a problem with one of the Ian Canada boards, or some incompatibility with my DAC?

Ian has suggested that it may be an issue with the Raspberry Pi stopping signal between tracks?

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I am far from totally clued up here but please allow me to reply.

@sfleming.
Yes separating the 3 3.3volt rails on the dac has SQ benefits. Granted this is harder with Ian's battery supply as I dont believe you have enough 3v3 rails. I am using an op amp based AVCC supply and LDO for the other 3 rails.

Disclaimer.....I haven't yet listened to my 3 rail modded dac.

@druid.....I did suffer with some nasty pops when changing tracks. Have you tried different sample rates. Or indeed played with the auto mute setting....assuming you have Ian's ESS controller.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
What is the clock situation. ? I am not familiar with the transport pi. I do have a ReceiverPi /fifo and dac.

Do you feed an external MCLK from fifo to transport?

Could you try ASYC versus SYNC modes?

Maybe set in software to one particular group of sample rates and remove the other clock as another test?

Hopefully someone with better knowledge will chime in. I kind of lucked my way out of the pops but dont really remember how...my system is in bits being rebuilt into a chassis so I cant even look into it for you unfortunately.

re clicks on track change

FWIW, I too have a small click/snap when starting and stopping play. It is very small and not so intrusive that it concerned me. What is interesting is I have only recently noticed it and nothing else has changed.
I run Rpi 3b with FifoPi. It feeds Ians I2StoPCM to an external DAC. (TDA1541a)
I do run only one 45mHz clock which is in its own chassis with its own PS. Moode is using I2S to convert all music to redbook. 99% of my music is redbook. I found that with one clock converting hires to redbook yields my best sound.
My guess is the little snap sound relates to the clock start because it snaps at the instant the LED lights signaling clock start.

I realize none of this provides a solution, just some more data to help isolate and fix it.

I will put some supercaps in.
Here is the diagram I like to confirm with you all.
Hope it is correct.

Attachments

• FIFOPI CAP.jpg
    FIFOPI CAP.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 661
Hi! I want to clarify something that is not clear for many of us, and it is not explained elsewhere.
When using i2s signal from a SBC you will have some limitations, because of the main SoC.

Raspberry Pi 3: max. i2s PCM 384kHz 32bit
Raspberry Pi 4: max. i2s PCM 384kHz 32bit
Odroid C2: max. i2s PCM 192kHz 24bit
Odroid C4: max. i2s PCM 384kHz 32bit

For DoP (DSD over PCM) you will have to use a capable driver. The generic driver in Volumio / Moode Audio is capable of DSD64. The Audiophonics ESS9028/ESS9038 driver is capable of DSD128. To my knowledge there is no driver capable of DSD256 available.

If you want more than that you will have to use another source, like a XMOS USB to i2s interface capable of PCM768kHz and DSD512.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Thought I'd update with my build. Squeezing this all into a small chassis has been really testing.
Problem I will have is that I have bought some Maxwell UCs and also have a Salas Ubib for the IVSTD that I'd like to try but space is going to be a real issue. Dont really fancy another chassis as this has taken me forever, so we will see!

Working up, ReceiverPi is powered by it's own winding and rectification feeding one of XRKs CapMx CapMx boards at 5v.
Fifo ultimate has a 3v3 from Ebay LT1963 board. I added a 1.5F supercap across the 45Mhz Crystek.
5v from Salas L adapter on it's own 12v winding feeds through Fifo to power Rpi3b. 1.5F SC there too.
Dual mono dac has 3 separate rails. AVCC powered by a chinese psu with opamp based regulation...as Mikett reported on. This has it's own winding of 9v.
Rest of dac powered by the other LT1963 board. 1.5F caps on the DVCC and VCCA rails.
IV stage powered by it's own 18v trafo feeding the chinese opamp boards dual rail section.
I actually cut this board in 2 so the 3v3 AVCC section can remain whilst I try different psus on the IVSTD or indeed try a passive transformer output stage.

All the chassis is homemade from bits of repurposed wood/aluminium/acrylic.

Back panel yet to wire up but I got impatient last night and rigged up quickly directly to test if all was working. I just fed it into my AVR. Normally it will be into my Salas DCG3 and tpa3255. I managed to short the AVCC rail as seen by smoke from the 3v3 psu....sorted it out and all seems well...no damage.

Didnt get chance to listen properly. It has been out of the system being built for nearly 6 months now so I am looking forward to hearing it......only thing now I have to go through it all again to build my brother one!

Attachments

• 20200531_185509.jpg
    20200531_185509.jpg
    941.9 KB · Views: 1,021
  • 20200606_144645.jpg
    20200606_144645.jpg
    678.4 KB · Views: 1,016
  • 20200606_144650.jpg
    20200606_144650.jpg
    749.7 KB · Views: 1,015
  • 20200606_144657.jpg
    20200606_144657.jpg
    963.4 KB · Views: 1,034
  • 20200606_181427.jpg
    20200606_181427.jpg
    835.9 KB · Views: 971
  • 20200606_190053.jpg
    20200606_190053.jpg
    730.3 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
I have just got myself a RPi3 and I am really impressed. I did a headless setup, flashing Raspbian and Volumio to a 32gb sD card and sticking it in the the Pi. I also plugged in a sD card reader with a 128gb of music and a Khadas Tone Card DAC. Everything just worked including airplay from my Mac Mini which I hadn’t even planned on! I have the Volumio app which is only as good as the web based control. My amp is a 3eAUDIO TPA3255 that I put together myself. I am getting an Analog to Digital converter with a coax out which I will use to connect my TV to the DAC. The DAC will switch to coax if it has a signal and I plan to rebuild my amp without a volume or an input selector switch. I will also be putting a 5vdc psu, RPi3, and the Analog to Digital Converter inside the amp The DAC is already inside the amp. I will also need to change the RCA sockets to female to female on the back of the amp for the TV input and make a new wooden face with just a power switch. I can’t believe how it all worked and I did not need plug in a keyboard or monitor to configure anything.

@jimk04 your amp looks great and I’m sorry you had a short. Is that oak? I have a Zebrano face on my amp at the moment but my new one will be oak.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Yes it is oak...well oak veneers MDF. They're place mats from Poundstretcher.! 4 for £5.! Veneered on both sides. I cut one down lengthways. Originally bought as possible small speaker baffles.

I managed the short yet again. It is the AVCC connections shorting on the clocks. I had to space the dac up a bit and not allow it to sit right down onto the gpio socket. A bit of a nuisance.
Second time I did it the little 3v3 AVCC board got so hot the SMD transistor 'floated ' away....so it got pretty warm to melt the solder! I put it back into place and all is well.....tough little psu!

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I have ordered these output transformers from Aliexpress. The pin outs and lead spacing are compatible with Ian's trafo output pcb according to my measurements. I have been interested to try a passive IV and it will save me space on a psu trafo and pcb....making way for Maxwells possibly!

#Aliexpress £28.52 | 2PCS / 600:10K permalloy audio audio amplifier audio transformer isolator
2PCS / 600:10K permalloy audio audio amplifier audio transformer isolator|transformer isolation|audio transformerisolation audio transformer - AliExpress

Which rails would be better off being 'Maxwelled'? VCCA/DVCC and the Fifo?

Thought I'd update with my build. Squeezing this all into a small chassis has been really testing.
Problem I will have is that I have bought some Maxwell UCs and also have a Salas Ubib for the IVSTD that I'd like to try but space is going to be a real issue. Dont really fancy another chassis as this has taken me forever, so we will see!

Working up, ReceiverPi is powered by it's own winding and rectification feeding one of XRKs CapMx CapMx boards at 5v.
Fifo ultimate has a 3v3 from Ebay LT1963 board. I added a 1.5F supercap across the 45Mhz Crystek.
5v from Salas L adapter on it's own 12v winding feeds through Fifo to power Rpi3b. 1.5F SC there too.
Dual mono dac has 3 separate rails. AVCC powered by a chinese psu with opamp based regulation...as Mikett reported on. This has it's own winding of 9v.
Rest of dac powered by the other LT1963 board. 1.5F caps on the DVCC and VCCA rails.
IV stage powered by it's own 18v trafo feeding the chinese opamp boards dual rail section.
I actually cut this board in 2 so the 3v3 AVCC section can remain whilst I try different psus on the IVSTD or indeed try a passive transformer output stage.

All the chassis is homemade from bits of repurposed wood/aluminium/acrylic.

Back panel yet to wire up but I got impatient last night and rigged up quickly directly to test if all was working. I just fed it into my AVR. Normally it will be into my Salas DCG3 and tpa3255. I managed to short the AVCC rail as seen by smoke from the 3v3 psu....sorted it out and all seems well...no damage.

Didnt get chance to listen properly. It has been out of the system being built for nearly 6 months now so I am looking forward to hearing it......only thing now I have to go through it all again to build my brother one!
Nice work Jim. Very neatly done.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Cheers guys....appreciate the feedback.

Interested to see if I can implement some supercaps to some rails. I wasn't going to 'go there's but as you know curiosity of what may be gets the better....and then I found some Maxwells at a good price....the rest is history.!
I bought 10 of these for 50gbp....see how big sparks I can make!

And see how the output stage trafos sound

Attachments

• 20200610_162814.jpg
    20200610_162814.jpg
    618.9 KB · Views: 310