Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

You are doing it wrong for the other side.
For fully balanced operation you use only IN+ on each side. IN- is grounded on both sides. That is why you don't need to change the resistors values.
I attached connection diagram.

Yes XLR pin 1 goes to chassis ground. Pin 1 of XLR is for shielding only, doesn't carry any return signal. You can experiment by connect it to preamp GND sometimes works better.
And yes both IN- of the preamps are connected to PS ground. First make ground connection between both sides then a wire from this connection to PS ground.

To bounce off mareli's helpful advice, I've taken the liberty of expanding the original sketch in Post #1991 and reflect it back here for comment. I'm finding my way when it comes to wiring up boards for balanced operation. I've scoured the thread and there's a bit of confusion that pops up because Wayne's clever design permits Balanced In->SE Out.

I'm interested in Balanced In->Balanced Out and that is what the sketch seeks to describe from input to output. Subsequently, I'm seeking input from those more knowledgeable with the plan of avoiding frustration, a melt down or a magic smoke party after the solder has cooled and the power gets turned on.

The sketch includes reference to source documents where relevant for clarity and added notes to suit. Hopefully, this will help another person like myself who's dipping their toe in balanced waters.

Constructive thoughts please. Thanks.. :up:

Attachments

• BA2018 Wayne's Linestage Balanced In-to-Out Hookup Sketch_B.pdf
    59.3 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
I don't currently have a BA2018 but simulations show it is unity gain stable.
The feedback resistor and the 10K to ground are both changed to 100K and the 100 Ohm input resistor also. Simulations are pretty trustworthy on this but YMMV

Thank you for the answer Wayne. So that I don't screw this up, can you help me understand how the feedback resister and the input resister map to the schematic please? I assume the 10K to ground is R17.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
To bounce off mareli's helpful advice, I've taken the liberty of expanding the original sketch in Post #1991 and reflect it back here for comment. I'm finding my way when it comes to wiring up boards for balanced operation. I've scoured the thread and there's a bit of confusion that pops up because Wayne's clever design permits Balanced In->SE Out.

I'm interested in Balanced In->Balanced Out and that is what the sketch seeks to describe from input to output. Subsequently, I'm seeking input from those more knowledgeable with the plan of avoiding frustration, a melt down or a magic smoke party after the solder has cooled and the power gets turned on.

The sketch includes reference to source documents where relevant for clarity and added notes to suit. Hopefully, this will help another person like myself who's dipping their toe in balanced waters.

Constructive thoughts please. Thanks.. :up:

I have pin 1 wired to power supply ground, not chassis. On my build wiring it this way eliminated all audible hum.

Power Supply Current Delivery Capacity

While we're discussing power supply, I've never really figured out how to sum current draw based on the components. What's the maximum draw for the circuit? Would 100 mA give enough headroom for safe operation?

Yes.

So, to be clear, then a single stereo board to output SE service would come to double this number ('ish)? Worst case.

Furthermore - for a balanced stereo build, and accounting for this basis, I'd be looking at a supply that can deliver ~400 mA to accommodate probable worst case duty. Sound about right?

Last edited:
ResisterClone
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Just finished two Audiosy.net bipolar supplies dialed in at +\- 18v...fantastic supplies & Gareth was very supportive.

Attachments

• 174BFF85-FB3D-4690-9187-9C43CECBB8EA.jpg
    174BFF85-FB3D-4690-9187-9C43CECBB8EA.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 939
ResisterClone
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Awesome re outputs.
I applied power & it works great...dead silent. Ran for a couple hours on the test system
and delighted by the bass. Adjusted outputs to as close to zero..it’s sensitive for sure...moves around +/- but pretty stable. I can blow on the board and it changes.
I’ll splice into main sys and see what it does...great stuff y’all are sharing here..Thanks

Attachments

• 7CD9E2A8-8528-465C-9689-1E06E73308D9.jpg
    7CD9E2A8-8528-465C-9689-1E06E73308D9.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 633