Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

Looking good!

I think my next problem may be justifying to my better half why I need two or three preamps and three or four power amps!

Gary

Easy! Tell her just what I told my wife long time ago. "One for each genre!" Just kidding of course. They already know your addiction. No point in hiding it. Great build by the way. One of the best I have seen here!

Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Ha ha! Well spotted on the diodes.

If you look even closer on the 5V supply to that board you'll notice the red wire is connected to 0V and the white wire to +5V. I had a slight 'moment' when laying out that PCB and misread the data sheet for the relays and so ended up transposing the coil connections. Easily fixed though by turning the diodes around and reversing the 5volt supply connections, and much cheaper than getting a new set of boards fabricated. But it does still bug me that it's not right. It also meant a little logic change in the microcontroller monitoring the input selection.

Hello,

Also, the preamp measures better than any other DIY or commercial preamp I've looked at using a very simplistic RMAA setup. The noise floor is at -107.5 dB, cross talk is at -94 dB, distortion is very low and the spectra looks great. I was originally thinking of putting in an extra UBiB for a dual mono power supply, but I am already using a largely over-specified transformer because it is what was on-hand. Would there be any advantage of a dual mono power supply if I already am using too much transformer for the job?

Thanks,
Alan

Alan, going by measurements alone, I think you've answered your own question. I would expect that most people can't hear the noise / distortion that you're measuring.

If you're motivated, push through the diminishing returns barrier and see whether you can hear an improvement. Assuming that the expectation bias doesn't feature, I'll bet you you won't notice.. :up:

Implementation of a switchable gain

Helo everyone,

I have finished the board for the BA2018 and power supply and find this preamp is really fantastic and enjoyable. But I need a little help as I go forward.

My intention is to have a selectable gain switch and I have a few questions about a proper implementation.

I plan to have 2 gain selections, one will be the stock 3.7 (or thereabouts) and the other one I would like to have as close to 1 as possible. I have built the preamp with the high output option and wonder how low can I make the gain and have it remain stable.

My implementation is to use a small relay, probably an NEC EA2-12NJ, configured between CN2(1) and CN2(2) on the schematic so that it switches between a direct connection or a resister (said resistor being in series with R17). Is this a reasonable way to implement this and will I run into any problems over the long term if I do this.

Thanks in advance for our advice and guidance. This has all been a great learning experience.

Starting my build and looking for a best practice in regard to tapping off some power to feed the Mesmerize input selector. PS is the VRDN. The Mesmerize has option to be powered by either AC or DC, so the question is whether the best practice for this would be to tap AC off of the transformer or tap DC off the VRDN output. Goal is to not introduce any adverse affect to the linestage DC in. Assume that the transformer is adequately sized. Thoughts? Six of one, half dozen of another or is there a best practice?

Stroob

Another BA2018

Hi all,

after finishing my F3 I wanted to gear up the frontend as well.

After challenging the SMD-stuff (SMD? There's a reason I normally prefer tubes ...) the rest was easy going.

My modular pre-amp (WIP since 1997) lost his tube line-stage and the BA2018 went in. PSU +/- 18V with active hum-compensation. See pictures of scope before/after below. Added some copper on the outputs, even if not necessary.

Measures very good, THD 0,007% 1,41V Output 10-30kHz. The pre has a high accuracy relay volume control and a tube-filter (on the right upper corner in the capacitor-box :D) as well as a passive source selector.

Sound is very relaxed and detailed with deep soundstage, first time almost no difference with or without tube-filter. Like it!

Attachments

• BA_2018_2.JPG
    BA_2018_2.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 676
  • BA_2018_3.JPG
    BA_2018_3.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 532
  • BA2018_04.jpg
    BA2018_04.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 561
  • BA2018_05.jpg
    BA2018_05.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 577
  • BA2018_06.jpg
    BA2018_06.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 577
Well, I powered up my pre and when I checked the voltage at the board, I had 36 volts at the board.
I know I should have checked it prior to connecting it to the board and even questioned weather that was correct or not after seeing and checking voltages from the store PSU in my prior builds.
My question is , did I fry anything on the main line stage board.
F$&%

Attachments

• dual-bipolar-lv-reg-9.png
    dual-bipolar-lv-reg-9.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 313