Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

ResisterClone
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I’m a bit slower....but I got offset to zero.

Attachments

• 8A4DB775-326B-4D94-83AB-B23DE3C27247.jpg
    8A4DB775-326B-4D94-83AB-B23DE3C27247.jpg
    1,018.2 KB · Views: 688
Hello,

I just finished building the preamp (standard version, not high current) using a Salas UltraBiB supply. I would like to check to see that I have enough current for each channel. The UBiB guide says to leave at least 50 mA current over the peak current demand. I only had 5 ohm resistors on hand for the UBiB current limiter, which gives a total of 118 mA per channel. Minus the at-least-50 mA for regulation, that leaves 68 mA per channel for peak current needs of the WBA boards. I thought I read that the boards only use 25 mA per channel, but there was some other figures thrown about as well. Is 68 mA per channel for the board sufficient?

Also, the preamp measures better than any other DIY or commercial preamp I've looked at using a very simplistic RMAA setup. The noise floor is at -107.5 dB, cross talk is at -94 dB, distortion is very low and the spectra looks great. I was originally thinking of putting in an extra UBiB for a dual mono power supply, but I am already using a largely over-specified transformer because it is what was on-hand. Would there be any advantage of a dual mono power supply if I already am using too much transformer for the job?

Thanks,
Alan

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
New board stock is en-route, but will take a few weeks to prep for sale due to COVID related delays at our 3PL. So let's say end of January. There are plenty of parts kits in stock and available for ordering now and should last the next few months.

I just checked and we do have 6 boards in stock but not shown as available on the store front (we always try to leave a few around in case there is a shipping mistake, or two people order at once, etc). If you write to contact@diyaudiostore.com, advise your shipping address, and reference this post (use this link), Elena can make you a custom invoice that bypasses the store front to get you of these "spares" :)

They are connected to the regular inlet...I kept the connection leads very short. I asked Belleson about sense leads and they said a sense lead would not make much difference to the regulation. In fact, I don't think there is provision for a sense lead on a Belleson Regulator. Belleson has a theory on whether or not to have sense leads...and I don't remember what it was.

I built a number of DIY superregs...I connected the sense lead to the device at the power inlet of the device.

I have been using Belleson because they are easy to use, fit on a circuit board where an LM317/LM337 would go and they are pretty good regulation. Not much more expensive than the muss and fuss of building the superregulator board.

I can't express an opinion on how they sound vs no regulation, or lesser regulators...I just use them as a matter of principle. That good DC is important to audio.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yup, switchers are great bang for the buck, when using good ones

I'm finding small ones (handy to incorporate in gadget case) also very interesting, both ones with mains input and so called DC/DC converters

though, call my old brain stubborn, sound-wise nothing can't replace decent made shunt reg, when speaking of anything but amps ..... it squeezes last ounce of performance from anything I'm able to construct and build