New Markaudio Drivers

What is the frequency the vent is optimized in this case? Is it smth ~90Hz?

If you look at the graphs in post 1493 above, system tuning (Fb) is 45Hz. The second plot shows the nominal driver and enclosure outputs -the latter is the dotted blue line. The third plot shows the LF system impedance; Fb is the minimum between the two peaks.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what kind of bass extension can be expected from the Ibelin Reflex enclosure for the 7ms (on page 10 of this thread)? Was hoping to use these nearfield crossed over to a sub in a small room (approx 3m x 3m)

Here's a plot in WinISD. So approx. 10L volume tuned to 62Hz.

jeff

Attachments

• MA7ms BR.png
    MA7ms BR.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 518
Won’t be the first time I’ve said this, but “work” in the most technical sense of the word - ie, could it be made to fit in the enclosure and deliver some output from both direct radiation and through the back loaded horn pathway - almost certainly yes. But would it deliver the same performance as the drivers for which the enclosure was specifically designed - not so likely.
Quite possibly a reason they are offered at such a bargain price.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Can I ask the opinion of the members of this thread? I would like to build my first pair of speakers, a pair of bass reflex bookshelves using a Mark Audio driver. They will be paired with a low-wattage SET amplifier in my bedroom for low-to-moderate listening volumes, nothing over 80dB at roughly 3 meters. The speakers will be built first, then the SET amplifier will be designed and built to match them. I am experienced with SET designs, so the exact build is TBD depending on the speakers. It seems the two most sensitive drivers from the Alpair line are the 10P and the 12P, please correct me if I am wrong.

Right now, my most likely option is to use the "simple reflex" cabinets for the Alpair 10P designed by Scott Lindgren. The front port is desirable as these will be quite close to a wall.

http://wodendesign.com/downloads/simpleReflex-103-10p-plan-100214.pdf

My question is this: being someone who aspires to design my own speakers some day, do you think it is worth taking a stab at designing my own cabinets, or should I go with something vetted by an experienced engineer like Scott the first time around? Thanks.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You can probably expect that that particular design was done assumming a voltage amplifier with a modicum of series impedance to account for wire and connectors. If doing a BR for a high output impedance amplifier you will get the best results if you take the same kind of care Scott has shown with the King of Swingers design(s).

http://wodendesign.com/downloads/King-of-Swingers.pdf

Done for the P11 the same sorts of things apply with the A10p, which is a favorite of the small SET crowd.

dave

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Thanks Dave, I will look into it. I see Scott has done the same type of output impedance optimization for the newer driver, the 11MS, so perhaps it is worth considering as well. I think I will dip my toe into the waters of cabinet design with his work as a guide, if it is too much for a newbie, I will fall back on his cabinet dimensions. Unlikely I could design anything close to as good, but we have to start somewhere after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, I have a A5.2 that works well but are a bit anemic in sound.In a not so full range fashion, I''''''''''''''''''''m planning on adding a larger speaker to have a fuller sound.
Ignoring the enclosure, which one would pair well with the A5.2 ? the 11MS or 7MS or pluvia eleven.
thanks

Last edited: