New Markaudio Drivers

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Is the 12 PW as "strong" as say any regular "woofer" in the same price range? What I mean is in terms of deeper bass, maximum power and maximum SPL? I have been tempted to try them in the near future for a 2-way; box style undecided. I'm sure the upper ranges are great just a little afraid of the lowest bass not as capable as a "true" mid-woofer.

Thanks!

I will find out soon. Just finished the box glue up. Finishing is next up.

The 12PW doesn't have as high of a power handling capability to some other comparable woofers. Bass will depend on the box design. I am using a Woden folded MLTL box design which should get down to the low 30's bass extension.

Is the 12 PW as "strong" as say any regular "woofer" in the same price range? What I mean is in terms of deeper bass, maximum power and maximum SPL? I have been tempted to try them in the near future for a 2-way; box style undecided. I'm sure the upper ranges are great just a little afraid of the lowest bass not as capable as a "true" mid-woofer.

Thanks!

Hard to say unless you can provide some specific example midbass units of roughly the same size (in terms of Sd) for comparison; without that we're basically just shooting in the dark. We can always find something that will be 'better' in some regards, but not necessarily so in others.

The 12PW was slightly unfortunate in that it was the right driver that arrived at the wrong time. There is an increasing interest in traditional drivers of this type, with a slightly higher Vas than some (as in theory they should be able to track low-level signals more accurately) but when it appeared, it slipped under the radar, and the large box sizes needed weren't in favour. Providing you don't mind those larger box sizes though, it's an interesting option if you want an idea of what the old WE type units could be about. Not saying it's the same or necessarily sounds quite like them, but it leans toward that type in some respects. So power handling isn't sub-woofer territory, but in about 50 litres (regular vented), think tuning in the mid-30s or a touch lower.

Well, you'll need to either wire them in series or parallel, and then design a crossover suitable for the on-baffle / in-box frequency & impedance responses, which will achieve the results you are targeting. The smaller unit will need to be in an acoustically isolated sub-enclosure to prevent the larger driver modulating it.

If I isolate the smaller unit, and wire them in series/parallel, what would the disadvantage of not doing a crossover be ? (since they're both full range drivers?)thanks

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
@planet10 I'm in the USA

A pair of Silver Flute W14 in a Woden ML-TL will produce significantly better.deeper bass, and are cheap. Extention to 5k or so, so getting a good blend is fairly easy. Easing the bass load on the A5.2 improves its midTop.

Basically a variation on Tysen V2 (always my intention to try A5.2/3 instead of FF85wk).

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Is the 12 PW as "strong" as say any regular "woofer" in the same price range?

I don’t know about pricing range, but the A12pw is a tremendous woofer and has vocing that makes melding with A5.2/3 easy. In Woden ML_TL we ar egetting 2 Hz, in the large Mar-Ken, 35 Hz or a bit better.

I would not run another FR in parallel to the A5.2, it is an approach rife with issues.

dave