New Markaudio Drivers

The screws should only be tightened enuff so that a real or imaginary washer does not spin.

Is the baffle flat? The gasket? Debris?

dave

The baffle is flat with no debris. I can tighten the driver flange down by hand until all the screws are hand tightened, but it seems like I am deforming something. If The rubber surround seems to be rubbing or deforming some. If I back off the top two screws by a turn or two the distortion caused by the rubbing surround goes away. I think when I tighten down the driver flange I am torquing the driver since the back of the driver is fixed in place by the brace. I think the issue will go away if I take a little bit of material off the top part of the brace that rests against the driver.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
look at the surround with a magnifying glass. I had one where the glue was not 100% all around the perimeter. If you remove the driver; you might be able to hold it up to a bright light at various angles; do this while flexing the frame VERY slightly with just bare hands and look for any obvious deformities or warping, etc. The supplier should exchange it for free if so as this would be considered a manufacturing defect.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Do you need extra high output because of loss of high frequency hearing? I am in my mid 60's so I use a very high SPL tweeter. If you don't need this; any decent tweeter would work with the Pluvia 7PHD. Almost ALL Mark Audio FR drivers need a minimum of 100 hours of break in time. The highest frequencies of the P7P do improve after break in. I am using a crossover (1st order LP at about 4400 Hz); you may decide to run it true full range (no X/O at all).

Fostex FT17H Horn Super Tweeter

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/pdf/FT17H_OM_E.pdf

This is a decent enough sounding ST though not nearly as good as the T90A which costs over 4 times as much!

SB Acoustics SB26CDC-C000-4 Alum-Ceram Dome Tweeter

This is a newer tweeter from SB; many people really seem to like it. If you don't need extra high output; this would probably be a good choice. It has a much better control than a standard metal dome tweeter within the same price range. I will use it as my first choice for the next design I do for anyone that doesn't need a ST. (price just under $60 US).

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Pluvia 7PHD runs circles around the MS!

I have been listening to P7PHD and A7.3eN in FH3 for some time.

The A7.3 runs circles around the P7HD and i expect the same can be said of a stock P7PHD. It has much the same voicing as the CHN70. It has good detail, but not near the same level as A7.3. Image/soundstage & overall clarity of the A7.3eN smoke the paper cone driver.

Next up is P7HD and A7ms. Haven’t listened to those yet.

I have excess A7.3 to clear out. Stock, you’d have to wait for a new set of EnABLed ones, availability will dry up soon.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think when I tighten down the driver flange I am torquing the driver since the back of the driver is fixed in place by the brace. I think the issue will go away if I take a little bit of material off the top part of the brace that rests against the driver.

That could well be the issue. Getting a driver brace just right is tricky. But even a turn or 2 too much on the tightening could be it as well.

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I have been listening to P7PHD and A7.3eN in FH3 for some time.

The A7.3 runs circles around the P7HD and i expect the same can be said of a stock P7PHD. It has much the same voicing as the CHN70. It has good detail, but not near the same level as A7.3. Image/soundstage & overall clarity of the A7.3eN smoke the paper cone driver.

Next up is P7HD and A7ms. Haven’t listened to those yet.

I have excess A7.3 to clear out. Stock, you’d have to wait for a new set of EnABLed ones, availability will dry up soon.

dave

What exactly do you like about the A7.3 over the paper cones? I don't care about anything much above 6 KHz as I always have to use a super tweeter for myself. I understand the A7.3eN would be best; maybe second only to the MAOP??? I like the qualities of the P7PHD quite a bit; the micro-detail is certainly there; I find them to be very musical.

One day; I REALLY want a pair of the MAOP 7.

I did send an e mail to Mark Audio months ago inquiring about how much a pair would be and how to go about ordering them. I haven't heard back and doubt I ever will. I realize many say these are unobtainium!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What exactly do you like about the A7.3 over the paper cones?

There is just a lot more there. Lots of little things in the music that are MIA with the P7PHD. Plus the balance is off (as would be exected for a driver specifically tuned for the Japanese taste).

A7.3eN is on par with the A7 MAOP. different, but not much. MAOP perhaps a bit less coloured. I have a set, will EnABL them at some point, i expect them to reach new levels after that.

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Dave at Planet 10 is the MA guru; and others. I have the A7MS, A7P and P7P only. I haven't heard any of the others. Others besides Dave also seem to like the A7.3 best overall. I am very fond of the P7P as I have said many times...BUT; I am using them ONLY as wide-band midrange and not true fullrange. The P7PHD certainly sound better than the A7MS or the A7P to "ME".

(To improve things further; you would step up to the ENABL A7.3eN.)

See post 1571; he has some of the A7.3 stock available (discontinued; most suppliers no longer have any left in inventory to my knowledge)

By now the P7P is on top of my list next the A7P and P7HD.
I have a pair of A10.3 on FH, after your tweeter recomendation I play some music and decided that highs from A10.3 are enough for me and I think I"ll go for FR arangment.
I live in Mexico, Madisound send my A10.3 without a hassle but I think Planet 10 don't send to my country.
Right now Madisound have about 8 diferent MA7, and very similar price so i'am a little confussed. I wish to buy a pair of the:
P7PHD
P7HD
A7P
A7MS
and let my ears decided but import taxes,shipping and my budget make it impossible.
Let say those are my options

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
The FR of the Pluvia 7PHD shows a roll off starting around 5KHz; I haven't measured it but I can hear output WAY past that even with my old ears! I can hear something all the way up to 10 KHz or so (I by-passed my X/O just now as a quick test). I'm guessing but I think they are probably 3 dB down ABOVE 8 KHz, not the 5KHz the OEM spec shows. I wish I could find a 3rd party eval. and test on the P7P.

BTW; my Son lives in Mexico City; he said the mail service is TERRIBLE; months to receive a package! I NEVER mail him anything; I don't trust it!

Maybe someone on this forum in US or Mexico has some MA drivers for sale on the SWAP shop???

Best of luck!

The baffle is flat with no debris. I can tighten the driver flange down by hand until all the screws are hand tightened, but it seems like I am deforming something. If The rubber surround seems to be rubbing or deforming some. If I back off the top two screws by a turn or two the distortion caused by the rubbing surround goes away. I think when I tighten down the driver flange I am torquing the driver since the back of the driver is fixed in place by the brace. I think the issue will go away if I take a little bit of material off the top part of the brace that rests against the driver.

I cut the brace so the wood clears the back of the magnet by about 1/8" and then apply some foam tape to the brace. The magnet snugs up to the brace with the tape in between. I think that helps to keep things from becoming too tight and deforming and still adds the bracing to the driver?