New Markaudio Drivers

Stefan,

Possible typo on your website - it says "CHN-50 Paper" - aren't these metal cone drivers?

Still can't quite decide what to do with my pair. They are a really nice looking driver though. I might just make a small pair of PC speakers. I might even do a really cheap MDF kit with 12mm that the students can afford, maybe even some sort of Bluetooth thingymabob

Done with assembling my 7MS pensils, as I mentioned earlier, I also have A7.3 pensils to compare. So here's the comparison:

Definitely these are different drivers, tuned for different tastes. In comparison, tone balance is on the brighter side for 7.3 while 7MS is definitely darker. There is more body and warmth in vocals in 7MS and more meat in bass drums. I did not perform any measurements but subjectively 7MS digs noticably lower. Highs are considerably brighter (not saying harsh) on 7.3, they sound much more lively and airy, perceived amont of details is bigger. But on the other hand that makes vocals sound tad dry and unnatural by accenting the sibilants. I'd say there are more details in 7MS but with highs being a bit recessed relative to 7.3 it's hard to recognize that right away. Imaging is probably slightly better on 7MS (no complains on 7.3 though).

I have noticed no even slightest signs of distortion mentioned earlier in the topic. In fact, 7MS is the smoothest dynamic driver I ever heard, it is more refined compared to 7.3, and that's probably expected. I have no real preference among these but it pressed hard to stay with one pair I'd probably go for 7MS, I'd say they were tuned for serious listening. But I'd definitely choose 7.3 (or P7.2HD) for multi-room ceiling mount.

Last edited:
Hi, brand new member here. Joined up just prior taking my first stab at DIY (not counting all in one kits).

Can anyone comment on the Pluvia 7 HD which seems to be superseding the Alpair 7? Whilst the ability to surface mount the Pluvia 7 HD is handy, it looks like there's increased treble response above 10K. At least, that's what I infer when comparing the two extremely compressed 0-100dB graphs... it's a bit hard to tell.

Am I interpreting this correctly, and is this noticeable in use versus the Alpair 7? I'm adverse to exaggerated treble.

Thanks.

Hi,

I think those just start selling, so it might take a while till someone with real experience with them will chime in.

But based on my experience with Alpair 7.3, those tend to be quite directional, so you can tame top end by listening to them off axis.

Or you can consider 7MS which were described as darker by Yuri in post #929.
I'm also still undecided for my upcoming WAW project.

Last edited:
Done with assembling my 7MS pensils, as I mentioned earlier, I also have A7.3 pensils to compare. So here's the comparison:

Definitely these are different drivers, tuned for different tastes. In comparison, tone balance is on the brighter side for 7.3 while 7MS is definitely darker. There is more body and warmth in vocals in 7MS and more meat in bass drums. I did not perform any measurements but subjectively 7MS digs noticably lower. Highs are considerably brighter (not saying harsh) on 7.3, they sound much more lively and airy, perceived amont of details is bigger. But on the other hand that makes vocals sound tad dry and unnatural by accenting the sibilants. I'd say there are more details in 7MS but with highs being a bit recessed relative to 7.3 it's hard to recognize that right away. Imaging is probably slightly better on 7MS (no complains on 7.3 though).

I have noticed no even slightest signs of distortion mentioned earlier in the topic. In fact, 7MS is the smoothest dynamic driver I ever heard, it is more refined compared to 7.3, and that's probably expected. I have no real preference among these but it pressed hard to stay with one pair I'd probably go for 7MS, I'd say they were tuned for serious listening. But I'd definitely choose 7.3 (or P7.2HD) for multi-room ceiling mount.
Thanks for the review. Could you make some simple gated (0-60 degrees) measurements? I've only seen manufacturer on-axis response so far, and MarkAudio datasheets usually are quite imprecise.

/Anton

Thanks for the review. Could you make some simple gated (0-60 degrees) measurements? I've only seen manufacturer on-axis response so far, and MarkAudio datasheets usually are quite imprecise.

/Anton

You're welcome, I'm glad you guys found it useful. In fact, I do not have any proper measurement setup within reach currently as it's just a hobby. I have found some decent free sw options to try (but still short on time for that) and had some Dayton mic somewhere so eventually I would come up with this... but not right now sorry :(. What I could do though is to subjectively compare them with 7.3 in that regard. But personally I wouldn't use them at non-zero angle anyway as thier highs are just too valuable resource to waste (hence my comment about ceiling mount).

Hi, brand new member here. Joined up just prior taking my first stab at DIY (not counting all in one kits).

Can anyone comment on the Pluvia 7 HD which seems to be superseding the Alpair 7? Whilst the ability to surface mount the Pluvia 7 HD is handy, it looks like there's increased treble response above 10K. At least, that's what I infer when comparing the two extremely compressed 0-100dB graphs... it's a bit hard to tell.

Am I interpreting this correctly, and is this noticeable in use versus the Alpair 7? I'm adverse to exaggerated treble.

Thanks.

Welcome aboard:) Yep, way too early. But from well-established I'd suggest A10P (sorry for off-topic ;)), it's an awesome driver, very smooth and balanced, treble amount is just right. I've built A10P Pensils for/with my dad and really enjoyed them. Too bad WAF is preventing me from having all sorts of MA speakers at home... but still I got the ceiling :D... not too obtrusive setup is yet to figure :D...

And you don't really need to worry much about flush mounting. I mean, for older Alpair units you can make nice snap-on grills from included outer rings and acoustic cloth. Never heard any difference (maybe haven't tried hard enough :D

I think those just start selling, so it might take a while till someone with real experience with them will chime in.

Hopefully not too long as they could use existing A7.3 box AFAIK (just different screws positions). It's also smaller on outside so looks would be compromised but at least sound should be there.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have ordered a Pluvia 7HD metal coned, and also a CHN-50 to test.

Does anyone have optimum sealed cabinet sizes for these?

I have a very run in pair of the 7.3's to test against.

I now have two mics, ubs & Xlr. Will hopefully learn to take measurements.

Last edited:
Overlaid/scaled the two Pluvia models' FRs as best I could, 0-100 dB, 20-20kHz.
Blue = HD, Red = PHD. Apologies for the grim level of blur due to image scaling.

What's the MOQ to get Pluvias in grey-silver? Both these bronzy metallic colours clash with natural wood tones.

As mentioned yesterday, I am just starting out with this DIY speaker stuff. So I'll start off with full-range with foam core board designs.

So it looks like I can order either the HD or the PHD from Evan, as I'm based in Asia. So I am trying to decide between the two. I'm coming from the headphone world, where I have established that I have an aversion to bright signatures- if it helps calibrate, I cannot listen to something like the Sennheiser HD800S without equalising down after the 5KHz mark. Tonally, I prefer the HD650 with no EQ.

Based on the graph comparisons, the HD looks like the treble just shoots up past 10K, considerably more that what the Alpair 7 does which nobody seems to have found noteworth so far.

The PHD rolls down after about 5KHz and there is talk of compensating with supertweeters, which I don't intend to install.

Based on the above, would anyone be able to suggest one over the other?