New Markaudio Drivers

Thank you Scott, that is really useful.
When you say Butterworth, is that system Q approx 0.7 ?

Correct.

Gun to your head;) Which driver would you choose for rear surrounds in my situation ?

To be honest, I haven't been reading in depth, just noticed the last couple of posts. It depends what it is you're wanting specifically to do / what you're after from your rear channels -system, room size &c. For HT, on principle I would favour the largest quality speaker I could get away with, but then, I'm a brontosaurus, and rear channels are usually a bit less critical than fronts as they tend to receive a narrower BW. Dispersion is important, as Stefan says, especially if those rears are actually going to be plonked behind you, since human hearing is lousy at picking up directional cues behind the skull. That's one reason, amongst many, that a lot of the 1970s era quadraphonic systems didn't work too well, and why ideally the rear channels in, say, a 4 or 5 channel setup are IMO better placed to the side, about 10 degrees behind your ears. YMMV. Be that as it may (although not all agree and I can hear the lynching mob galloping over the prairie as I type) if it's a small system & you're unlikely to crank it to very high levels, then the 7MS as Stefan suggests, should do OK for rears, especially if your reciever has the option of protecting the drivers from any excess LF. Pluvia 7HD (new one) for a tighter budget. If you want something with a bit more power-handling then the Pluvia 11, although you might find with that unit, a lateral position is increasingly beneficial as it doesn't have the same level of off-axis output.

Attachments

• brontosaurus.jpg
    brontosaurus.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 701
Last edited:
Correct.

To be honest, I haven't been reading in depth, just noticed the last couple of posts. It depends what it is you're wanting specifically to do / what you're after from your rear channels -system, room size &c. For HT, on principle I would favour the largest quality speaker I could get away with, but then, I'm a brontosaurus, and rear channels are usually a bit less critical than fronts as they tend to receive a narrower BW. Dispersion is important, as Stefan says, especially if those rears are actually going to be plonked behind you, since human hearing is lousy at picking up directional cues behind the skull. That's one reason, amongst many, that a lot of the 1970s era quadraphonic systems didn't work too well, and why ideally the rear channels in, say, a 4 or 5 channel setup are IMO better placed to the side, about 10 degrees behind your ears. YMMV. Be that as it may (although not all agree and I can hear the lynching mob galloping over the prairie as I type) if it's a small system & you're unlikely to crank it to very high levels, then the 7MS as Stefan suggests, should do OK for rears, especially if your reciever has the option of protecting the drivers from any excess LF. Pluvia 7HD (new one) for a tighter budget. If you want something with a bit more power-handling then the Pluvia 11, although you might find with that unit, a lateral position is increasingly beneficial as it doesn't have the same level of off-axis output.

Cheers Scott,
Loving the brontosaurus reference:D & yeah, I’m a bit of a dinosaur myself :)
I agree about the surrounds being more to the sides & I have always previously used Di/Bi pole surrounds in that position. I like to listen quite loud but yes, they’ll be bass managed in the av receiver.

I’m also planning to add surround backs in the near future & hence the switch to direct radiating speakers for the full Dolby Atmos experience.

Unless you play really loud A7ms, P7HD, P7, even A6m or A5.2.

Chris has a mix of A10.3eN up front, A5.2eN in back, P7eN for atmos.

dave

Thanks Dave,
I really appreciate the input from all of you guys.
I do listen loud, not quite at Cinema reference levels these days but often -5db master volume.
I’m sure the 7’s would be fine, they are only 6feet from the main listening position & I know lots of people run them full range as main speakers.

I’d love to hear a pair of eN A11MS against a standard pair, I love mine & I’d be extremely impressed if their performance could be further improved.

Alpair Ms jigs

I have been swaying away from CNCing cabinets mainly due to the cost and the pain of logistics. So I am CNCing some jigs instead.

So for me and if anyone else wants some I have made a really simple jig for routing the new rebate and cut through for the ms series. This allows for our super open back design with much less material that a simple hole to disturb the rear sound wave. Pilots holes for the driver in there too.

One for 7ms & 11ms. The small holes on the outside will be cut half way through when the shape is cut out, which should provide a nice easy way of centering the jig to pencil lines on the baffle, and to re-centre the jig for the second cut.

From 12mm Birch ply.
£25 + shipping. I should have a few in the next week/two.
Dm if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• IMG_9616.jpg
    IMG_9616.jpg
    876.3 KB · Views: 579
From an aesthetics point of view, it would grind my gears to have different cone colours. So for that reason alone I would probably stick to one MA sub-brand

Ha ha, yes, I do get that & it would be lovely to go with the A11ms all around for aesthetic & sonic reasons, I will probably make grills for them eventually though, I like the piano string effect used by Steinway Lyngdorf.

Attachments

• EA31E133-AB1C-40D4-902D-0002E1C2A9F3.jpeg
    EA31E133-AB1C-40D4-902D-0002E1C2A9F3.jpeg
    591.2 KB · Views: 567
After thinking long & hard which route to take for my surround speakers, I ended up going for the Pluvia 11 & when funds allow, I’ll demote them from side surround to back surround duty & go with another pair of A11MS for sides.

Arrived in perfect condition, big thanks to KJFaudio & all who shared their very valuable experience/expertise :cheers:

Attachments

• 3B3B6020-414A-4129-A7C6-716DBD9B5C0B.jpg
    3B3B6020-414A-4129-A7C6-716DBD9B5C0B.jpg
    848.7 KB · Views: 629
I haven’t looked at the gaskets on the new MS drivers, but all the old (larger) Alpairs had a sealing gasket with 2 rings of bump (like the seal that failed on the Space Shuttle booster). Both need to be loaded against the mounting shelf.

dave
They've the same features as Dave describes, at least on the 7MS which I took a pic of.

Attachments

• 7MS_Gasket.jpg
    7MS_Gasket.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 531