10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Like your little style X.!
Honestly I don't think my room would want TLs. Plenty LF as is! I heard a small ' noise' this evening whilst pushing them a bit testing an Ian Canada DAC. Air is managing to get out of the secondary rear baffle that is bonded on by approx 85% its surface area with butyl....adhesive both sides. These RS225 are pretty formidable!

X, been catching up on this (amazing looking project - what a journey!) after being introduced to your musings in the purifi thread. Ive always wanted to try a full range driver, but being as reliant on bass as I am, the WAW has much more appeal to me.

I have 4x 225's from an old project here. What are your thoughts on mounting them dual opposed on the side of a sealed floorstander with the 10F forward firing? XO - DSP- 300ish? Should I just build the wider baffle and forward fire the whole lot? A narrower front baffle would be ideal.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Mainframe,
If bass is what you seek, try the TL and only 1 RS225-8 is needed for deep satisfying bass. two in an opposed sealed is nice but the XO is going to be very different. Although you are going to be doing it with DSP vs a passive XO. The RS225 is a special driver with a lot of great mid bass and midrange oomph. Try an MTM and cross at 900Hz. You will get about 87dB sensitivity this way and this will match the 10F without any padding.

Finally, I have completed veneering with real rosewood veneers.
For the RS-225 I measure approx 350-400 gram of stuffing is really good to my living room. More than 400 I heard bas is heavier but sound so muddy. Putting 360 is the best bet where I got clean and punchy bass that I really like.

For the 10F I put 10-12grams. I tried 20 grams the mid-low is really nice (kind of mellow sound). I put 12 grams to get clean treble without sacrificing mid-low. All have trade off so we need to ensure adjustment is performed in actual position.

Finally, Thanks X for such an Incredible design. Now I can have a loud speaker with so much better performance than my bose.

Regards

Attachments

• RS225-1.jpg
    RS225-1.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 1,206
  • RS225-2.jpg
    RS225-2.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
Very nice work, Mas Penk! They look beautiful and so happy the sound is pleasing to you.
Thanks for the quantitative measures of stuffing. Very helpful.
:cheers:

Btw, your box is taller at the top above the woofer. Did you modify the design somehow?

This is the plan showing it much closer to the top:

I just re measured again, and yes aparently i misread the dimension from top top to center :headbash:

I read the top to center of RS-225 8 inch where is supposed to be 6 inch... :ashamed:

is it really affected the sound? because What I heard so far is really nice...

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
No worries - it’s a very minor effect and has to do with trying to reduce the acoustic reflection of the TL terminus - but with all the bends and stuffing, it is not a big deal. Your driver height from ear level is maybe a bit lower but that might be good depending on your situation. As long as it sounds good it’s fine. It certainly looks great.
:cheers:

thanks for the confirmation, i do really like the power of bass for these speakers... RS-225 definitely give the precise and clean bass..

Question X, If i have the 10F but 4 ohm impedance, Is there any changes need to be made for the crossover?
my brother also wants to build these, but due to Scanspeak agent in my country only carries 4 ohm model (car Audio application).

Mas Penk,

Congratulations on your build, and enjoy the music!

What type of music have you tried and what amplifier and preamp are you using?

I tried several music from Alan Walker, Red Hot CHhilli Peppers, Sublime and secveral oldies song which I know they used Double bass. I also played with ladies singer (Susan Wong, Diana Krall and Jin Chi) to see is the voice is clear or muddy (this is where stuffing won 10F really plays)

I played with My own Preamp using tube CV-249 and gyrator.
For Amplifier, I tried with Odd Watt KT88 (OT James Transformer) and I compared the sound with NAD C372

Attachments

• Preamp.jpg
    Preamp.jpg
    736.7 KB · Views: 576
  • KT88.jpg
    KT88.jpg
    867.2 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
If i have the 10F but 4 ohm impedance, Is there any changes need to be made for the crossover?

Yes, theoretically, the lower impedance will require a smaller capacitor and the padding resistor network needs to be adjusted to compensate for the apparent higher sensitivity. Without having one and measuring it, hard to say exactly how to scale it to achieve identical performance. I would really go for a different brand of driver that is 8ohms and then only have to adjust the padding resistor values.

Other 8ohm full range drivers with well behaved response work well too like B80, TC9FD, RS100, 3FE22 or 3FE25, FR88EX, PS95-8, Peerless P830897 and similar etc.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Well, you can make a new design using the same goals. But it’s a totally new design as far as the passive XO.

It’s not that hard, the trick is finding a very wide band woofer that behaves well near breakup and is flat response. The RS225-8 is a rare design that it critical to this speaker.

The ScanSpeak 18W mentioned above has a breakup bump near 4kHz. In order to use a 1st order crossover, you need to be about 3 octaves below that at least or 500Hz. This will increase the distance needed for time delay compensation to about 6in vs 3in. So a highly stepped baffle might be needed.

Last edited: