10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I don’t think I ever posted measurement files. If you want to do your own crossover - there are many threads in the multi-way forum that show how. Earlier in this thread I also go into detail how to measure the driver responses. Also threads in the measurement or software forum.

But countless weeks were put into the measurements and development and testing and listening and revising the XO already. And from this, a very good crossover has been developed. I would not mess with it unless you already are adept at designing XO’s.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Madisound has some more round plastic framed 10f drivers for 29$.

The frame is what is on my 10f-842203s, but these have the typical Scan fiberglass cones, with the weaker fullrange-type magnet.

So the Q is higher, but fine in a little chamber crossed where we are here.
Sensitivity should be closer to a TG or TC than the fancier Scans, but the FR curve is fine.

They surface-mount nicely, so an easy and cost-saving opportunity for those wanting to try this design,
I highly recommend it.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Cut out is a straight swap for the PS95. 83db so I guess it goes unpadded? Nice price. And they look good. Tempted although the 40usd shipping plus inevitable import taxes blunts the appeal.
I guess these are a proprietary model. Searching the model number brings up this thread and the madisound page!
BBC style 'smile' curve would probably sound good to my ears as I find the PS95 lacks 'air.'

I was looking yesterday at that cheap SS 10F 00. I was considering buying a bunch to do an array some day but there is a long way to go up in sensitivity when one starts at 83dB, especially after shading is applied. Too bad it is not the -g10 version. Else one 4424 today gets you at 90dB/2.83V1m right away and with no ugly resonances off axis.
in the meantime I will be using 6 of the 8424 here:
Scaling up a 4inch upper mid and tweet output

it would be interesting to try 10F/4424 in an MTM (actually WFW) kind of arrangement with 2 Rs225-8s (I was considering doing this with 2 Visaton AL200s but you made me reconsider now for the price of these Daytons :). I am leaning towards higher sensitivity speakers to try some flee power amps on the mid (full range) section/.

Hi X, and others who have built the floor standing TL. How does it fare with big orchestral music such as those from R. Strauss, Bruckner and Mahler?

Not sure for Orchestral Music, but I've listened to instrumental music like Kojiki Kitaro, It sounds wonderful, all the music is real, the music sounds real open and straight.

But one thing my friends hate about this speaker... I makes other speakers sounds bad. The sound difference between this speaker and commercial ones are clear once you listen to this speaker for 2 hours while chatting and having coffee :D

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks for the nice compliment of this speaker. I am glad you love the sound. I do have a hard time finding commercial speakers that sound as good. They set a high bar that’s for sure.

Your build is superb and I know you are getting some enjoyment from both the sound and how they look.

911320d1610549815-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-waw-ref-monitor-rs225-1-jpg

one can see "the walk" as the SS designers were solving the issues with the initial driver release:
8414-g00 > 8414_g10 > 8424-g00 (and 4424-g00 (4ohm version))

In its final iteration the little 10F sucker both measures and sounds great but it is eeexpensive.

I listened (in my headphones) to the RS225+10F FAST recordings which XRK posted: it almost sounds too detailed which makes me concerned about the listening fatigue. The metal cone may be responsible since i get the same with Alu Visatons.