XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass

I used to have a circular saw steel "sled" with metal rollers which rode on 1.5" aluminum angle stock. Two pieces of angle stock were provided. One about 10 feet long, the other 5 feet. It ideally needed a piece of wood attached under the angle to limit lateral flex.

It took careful position of clamps to work well.

If a person wasn't too concerned about a few screw holes on the back side of a panel then a piece of wood screwed down as a saw guide would help - if panels are large enough,

I'm horrible at woodworking among many other things. :eek:

Flush mounting of a speaker to its baffle looks neat. If one doesn't have router skills it could be done by gluing an overlay piece to the baffle. My K5/Xkis have front mounted PA130s, the baffles are small enough that I could use face plate turning on the lathe to get neat speaker holes in thin plywood. Would there be any reason to do this other than for appearance?

I could easily do that as my felt is vinyl backed and easy to cut w/electric scissors. Testing would be subjective. I down loaded a SA app but it looks strange on the low end. The pic is with a Sony boombox playing in the kitchen and I am in the den.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-23 at 1.15.32 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-23 at 1.15.32 PM.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 327
I used my K5/XKi pair to troubleshoot a Carver-Wharfdale system. We were trying to determine if his noise problem was from the receiver or the speakers. It was from the right channel Wharfdale. He was impressed at how well my little boxes performed. I had them connected to his B outputs so I could just flick from A to B for comparison.

Vocals were a little better on the Wharfdale because I haven't finished padding my rear chambers yet (I still haven't purchased friendlier screws for the rear panels). I thought the bass was a little better on mine but we were near field and didn't move back to the sweet spot for either. I have mine back home now and had to rework my banana plugs, now I see the advantage of premade cords like you use.

Last edited:
hey XRK971.

I have some little 6CX and believe they are close to Beta6A in spec.

Would an XKi have any advantage with such a high fs driver over a 0.44X K15?

Def_Driver ‘Beta 6A’ | Eminence 6” speaker 4.5mm xmax
Sd=129.9cm2
Fs=123Hz
Mms=11g
Qms=3.46
Qes=0.66
Re=5.18 ohm
BL=8.13TM
Le=0.43mH
Vas=3.51L

-questions when dealing with small XKi with sizable vent.

X says 17 liters total for BG20 usable to 70Hz. Not including the baffle and upper panels, but including vent and driver volumes, the total would be around 20 liters.

Is that volume adequate in hopes to reach the model's low end? What happens if the vent and driver displacements aren't included?

Does the vent at the top mitigate the cavity peak?

What would you make the internal size of this particular XKi ?

iZjv6Ei.jpg

Last edited: