Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

@Grecale
I have just assembled a similar streamer/DAC (minus the Linearpi Mk2 Dual) and had similar problems using Ropieee on the Pi and JRiver on the PC. All problems disappeared when I switched to Volumio initially, and now Gentooplayer. Have you tried other OS'es?
On an unrelated note, the manual for the OPA861 says to only use the RCA's for testing - and that the balanced outputs should be used for best sound. Does your preamp/integrated/whatever have balanced inputs?
Cheers, Stephen

Last edited:
Thanks Stephen for you input. I forgot to mention that i use Volumio and have played with settings with no success. Those flashing green LEDs and NO SIGNAL issue persists even if i disconnect RCA connectors so probably it has nothing to do with them. will trie with Gentooplayer to see how it goes.

Hi everyone,
for my very first post here I'm sharing my experience with first class "Ian Canada" I2S Streamer using following main components I'm currently building :
  • RPi 3B+ mounted remotely to limit interferences with "clean cards"
  • FifoPi Q7 II
  • HdmiPi Pro II
  • UcConditioner 5V and 2x 450F for 5V supply (5V provided by external 12V acid battery regulated to 5V)
  • Uc Pure MKIII and 2x 3000F + UcBalancer for 3.3Vdc supply (supplied by a 9V 50VA toroidal transformer)

Here an overall view of my current prototype. The next step will be to mount it inside a nice aluminium case.
Everything works fine, the SQ is rich, incredibly detailed while remaining musical, with a deep and large soundstage. All in one it is a step above my already excellent Allo DigiOne Signature mounted in an USBridge module and also very cleanly supplied (even if for now I didn't try to associate it to UcConditioner and UcPure). My DAC is an Audiogd R-27 RE (with a compatible I2S input of course :)) which I am also particularly satisfied with.

Improving of the automatic super-capacitor charging feature while not playing :
FifoPi Q7 II can be easily connected to Uc Pure to release an automatic super-capacitor charging feature when stopping / pausing playback, allowing to reduce the charging need while playing (anyway only 3-4 minutes taking). In practice I observed this feature being too reactive, double triggering for less than a second (causing relay noise and increasing its wear) when jumping from one track to another or while file resolution changes within a continuous PL.
Anyway FYI by "test and try" I succeeded to solve this by introducing an "analogic" delay in inserting a "2 sec" RC temporization circuit between FifoPi Q7 and Uc Pure as detailed in the attached scheme + picture of its practical implementation. Using the delivered cable I had just to be careful that the + pole (3V3 level) is on the black wire, 0V on red as the 470 µF cap is polarized :)

Now no longer short-time double switching when jumping from one track to another or while file resolution changes within a continuous PL as observed before. When stopping playback the charge is started with approx. 1.5s delay but pure mode reactivated when playing again without significant additional delay.

I Hope this may be of help. Any questions, let me know.
Enjoy the music !
Stéphane

Attachments

• 20240214_141530L.jpg
    20240214_141530L.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: 2 users
@shoom
@Spacejack

Thanks for your suggestions - I have begun a trial of Gentooplayer, which is looking good. It plays everything I have tried, and sounds good. Unfortunately I added sorbothane damping and a copper shield to the clocks, and sorbothane to the feet of various components (DEQX DSP/crossover/preamp, tube monoblocks), at the same time I began using Gentooplayer, so I don't know what improvements to attribute to which change :) . I'm going to try different kernels - any suggestions about which to try? I'm using the latest version of Gentooplayer

( Kernel: 6.1.73-GentooPlayer-ST+
───────────────────────────────────────
GentooPlayer | 01:26 | Thu 15/02/24
───────────────────────────────────────
v8.50-198 | Raspberry Pi 4B+ (aarch64)

Will I lose settings trying different kernels?
Pay for audiolinux, you won't be sorry. Very experienced with both and have both. Use diretta for transport. I can go on and on with further customized audiolinux settings I've worked on it actively tweaking for probably 250+ hours. You can see my build with demo videos from my posts for example, or see Ian posted to the blog section of his site. Would be happy to help if needed.

Audiolinux does work with gpio as well, I forgot about the overlay. Piero, the owner, is the most helpful quickest email assistance I have ever seen from any company. Absolutely A+++.

OK you've got me interested.

What I'm looking for is stable UPNP to run Jplay IOS App minimum.

Diretta, yes I've read some interesting post's on that but worried about the rabbit hole.

I'm pretty much Tidal only these days so the question is can I run Diretta source on pc and stream tidal Desktop to a PI as target? that would be pretty cool for me.

I've used Audiolinux before but gave up as it nurtured my tweak freak side to nicely.

I'm going to need some help :spin: to get started as it's some time ago. V1 I think over on Audiophile style.

If we do a set up here then it could be useful to others.

I'll see if I can get a trail run and report back.

Pay for audiolinux, you won't be sorry. Very experienced with both and have both. Use diretta for transport. I can go on and on with further customized audiolinux settings I've worked on it actively tweaking for probably 250+ hours. You can see my build with demo videos from my posts for example, or see Ian posted to the blog section of his site. Would be happy to help if needed.

Audiolinux does work with gpio as well, I forgot about the overlay. Piero, the owner, is the most helpful quickest email assistance I have ever seen from any company. Absolutely A+++.
I'm interested too - as @crm75 said, there doesn't appear to be a trial...is that so? And like @shoom, I would like to use it via DLNA, using JRiver and Diretta host on a Windows 11 PC and a Raspberry Pi 4b based Ian Canada stack as Diretta target. Is this all doable? I can't find much info on Diretta - is it a lifetime payment?

Just wanted to share this little guy that showed up today.
I shared a link on the last page.

Takes a 32v 5a DC and splits it into 2x3.3v, 2x5v, 2x12v, 2x adjustable
No measurable ripple current.

Very well made

Take a 32v 5a power brick and feed 6 UcConditioners or UcPures

Attachments

• IMG_8508.jpeg
    IMG_8508.jpeg
    384 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: 2 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Regarding the Taica products
Right now i am in South East Asia countryside with slow internet and a tiny phone. But if i remember well they have much better solutions than the one you mention. They have it in the shape of a role of tape but also in a kind of sheet shape. These are the ones aimed at vibrations. As you can see the elastic " stand offs " they make all have their own optimum " charging weight " needed to make them work perfectly.
It will be kind of hard to get exactly the most perfect solution using this material. If you install a small layer between board and bottom side of the clock and execute some pressure by soldering and keeping it at a certain pressure downwards you will probably create a different pressure every time you will mount a clock.
If the thickness of the gel will be 10 mm i could imagine that if you reduce that to eg 9,8 mm by a little pressure, solder it it should work depending on the constituency of the gel. Could it be better with 9,6 mm? Maybe. If we will not get the best possible result with a certain kind of gel but only 90 % of it you will already gain a lot compared to a not optimal socket
Did i try ? No
Will i try? No, because i have the Italian clocks which are mounted using his ideas and then covered in cork particles.
Maybe you could also bury your complete stack in a big box filled with superdry sand if there are no parts that will heat up.
Again the French have done numerous test regarding this for turntable isolation and speaker building.
Greetings Eduard

Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
The audio creative website published an article about Diretta stating it was a giant leap once again.
So digital audio starts getting pretty close to a very good turntable with a decent recording.
Almost every present day recording has so much "improvements "by software added that i wonder if we are spending our money the wrong way. Of course there are people who think these technically enhanced recordings sound perfect and sometimes you need to be taught how to recognize these tricks. BUT if the person who worked hard to pay his gear loves it we should not worry.
I think i have about 800 books and 700 records and about twenty years to go. Probably will not buy that many new books and new music because the younger generation of today grows up without books being around . So there will not be another " white rabbit " written because they have no clue about Lewis Carroll.
Greetings Eduard

Reactions: 3 users
@Steviewunda
You can change kernels without worries about the other settings. I def recommend EUP100 / EUP100NOR tunings and other RPI4 users have reported that they prefer 6.1.54 version.

Other kernel tweaks I recommend are: System Expert-II -> gpkernel 1, 3, 4 and under System Config Advanced -> TWK various -> Kernel Param.: all enabled.
And next time better to make one change at a time, so you understand what does what, otherwise you'll get lost in your system :D Understanding is knowledge and knowledge is power ✌️

P.S. Also don't forget to activate Profile and RAMsystem.

@shoom

Def go with Diretta, you won't regret this rabbithole (and it's relatively simple compared to any proper OS settings).
I've abandoned Tidal for Qobuz some months ago, because it still didn't have direct ASIO out (don't know if anything has changed about that).
But you can stream from Tidal under Windows via VB Audio ASIO bridge. That's a 3rd party utility for "virtual" streaming, really easy to set-up. That way, you can listen to anything from Windows via Diretta.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the update wladimir.

VB audio Asio I've used with Jplay in the past so maybe worth re-installing that.

Tidal Vs Quobuz. Well it's more about the music with tidal satisfying my needs better than Quobuz and i like the Tidal App Also.

Shame about Diretta being USB only which means setting it up with another DAC but i may do that.

I've ended up getting Gentoo and Audiolinux to do a side by side so I'll be exploring your suggested settings when up and running.

Thanks for taking the time.

It's appreciated.

And while I remember. Any special requirements RAM wise to get Ramroot in Gentoo?

Tidal Vs Quobuz. Well it's more about the music with tidal satisfying my needs better than Quobuz and i like the Tidal App Also.

After all that MQA garbage, I just can’t trust Tidal to deliver actually hi-res files.
Not sure what music you listen to but Qobuz is a completely different animal when paired with Roon. It’s unbelievable the difference.

@shoom np, happy to help (y) Diretta can play to any active "soundcard", not just USB out. I'm using it with Ian's stack. But if you have DigiOne Sig, then I don't know about that.

Also, you can combine your Jplay Femto renderer with Diretta ASIO driver, then normally control through UPNP. Imo this is the best combination. Hit me up via PM if you want detailed settings for this Jplay/Diretta combo.

Share your observations on Gentoo vs AL, when you get them properly set up, I'll take a peek as well (thx for the tip @badd99 )

P.S. For Ramsystem on Gento, just less than 1GB RAM required for simple configuration like Diretta Target. With some other active software, could be little bit more.

Last edited:
Hi Wladimir.

here is where I'm at.

I have Ian's DAC stack with PurePI mk2/UCC on the clocks. I've Split the DAC PSU LifePO4mini 3.3V/UCC into AVCC 1x LifePO4mini 3.3V/ and 1x if you got em smoke em PurePI mk 1 3.3V (going to change once the money tree grows a little) powering the rest of the DAC. LinearPI dual 5V UCC for the OPA software is Moode UPNP with Jplay's super IOS control APP.

Splitting AVCC was quite nice :) and then some:)

A kind of IanC junior Build. and not up with the big boys here but neither is the rest of my gear.

I wanted to get a few others ears on the DAC just to make sure that new shiny syndrome was not in play before making comment.

At our small reprobates gathering the above combo of DAC/software blew me away and blew the other ears away also. Really impressive for the sort of cash/time involved. Changed my mind on PI DACs That's for sure and asks serious questions about the need for power PCs IMHO.

Sounds amazing.

I'm keen to hack through the software mire to find the ultimate software. I've tried most of what's out there at one time or another but the low power and great sound has me thinking.

Really I'm done with USB and the add on gadgets that often do very little I hope.

I also use Roon (lifer)(squeezelite not RAAT) and volumio/Tidal Connect but the above is my fav so far to my ears.

So my plan is to try Gentoo and AL as UPNP end points and control them with the Jplay IOS App to see what that does SQ wise. Then Diretta so some meaningful comparisons can be made.

I'll need 2 PIs as the software is fixed to the hardware so it looks like a few weeks listening on each.

Should be fun but I'm a bit rusty with Linux so may need a few pointers. I know it's GUI driven but AL web seems as impenetrable as I remember and Gentoo gaining brownie points for their destruction manual.

Many thanks for taking time.

After all that MQA garbage, I just can’t trust Tidal to deliver actually hi-res files.
Not sure what music you listen to but Qobuz is a completely different animal when paired with Roon. It’s unbelievable the difference.

Which leads me nicely on to heresy 2:ninja:

I don't play high res tracks just red book. My ears tell me that well recorded trumps high resolution. CD red book and great engineering good enough for me and my aging ears,

Just my Take and I may be wrong.