Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

I don't play high res tracks just red book. My ears tell me that well recorded trumps high resolution. CD red book and great engineering good enough for me and my aging ears,

Then what are you after with all the software comparisons, diretta, etc etc.
If you want to play with filtering math get HQplayer. At least you will be able to control it instead of eq by way of software.

Reactions: 1 user
@Steviewunda
You can change kernels without worries about the other settings. I def recommend EUP100 / EUP100NOR tunings and other RPI4 users have reported that they prefer 6.1.54 version.

Other kernel tweaks I recommend are: System Expert-II -> gpkernel 1, 3, 4 and under System Config Advanced -> TWK various -> Kernel Param.: all enabled.
And next time better to make one change at a time, so you understand what does what, otherwise you'll get lost in your system :D Understanding is knowledge and knowledge is power ✌️

P.S. Also don't forget to activate Profile and RAMsystem.
Thanks @WladimirMXP -I will try your suggestions and report back.
Despite my earlier post saying I would forget about using Diretta, I would appreciate any advice about how I can use it in my system - which consists of:
-Well spec'd Windows 11 PC with JRiver MC32 for playing via DLNA digital music stored on a well spec'd UnRaid NAS
-Ian Canada stack comprising:
  • #48B PurePi II 5V +3.3V Ultracapacitor/battery PSU
  • Raspberry Pi 4b
  • #1D FifoPiQ7II FIFO clocker
  • #49B MonitorPi Pro Controller/Display
  • #4B ES9038Q2M Dual Mono II DAC
  • #6B OPA861-zero-feedback-balanced-i-v-board
The Raspberry Pi 4b is connected by ethernet to the network, and the OPA861 is connected by XLR to the DEQX preamp/DSP device, which connects to 2 DIY tube monoblocks. The Ian Canada stack has replaced a USBridge Signature which is now unused. I am currently using Gentooplayer on the Raspberry Pi to play my digital music via DLNA. Could I perhaps use the USBridge Signature before the Ian Canada stack, feed the USB output from the USBridge Sig into the Raspberry Pi, and make the PC the host, and the Raspberry Pi the target? Or is there a better way of incorporating Diretta into my system?
All feedback greatly appreciated, especially setup details ;-)

Of course.
https://a.co/d/gd1l9cx

Or Google

10Gtek Gigabit Fiber Media Converter w/ Pair of Bidi SFP Singlemode Simplex LC Module

Then add a good linear power supply like the TOPPING P50 LPS.

Approach it like you are creating a “dirty side” (modem cpu, router, switch, etc etc)
And a “clean side” ( audio gear)
The only thing that connects the dirty side to the clean side is the fiber cable. Nothing else.

For $200 this is by far the best “tweek” for improving network audio.

Reactions: 3 users
Then what are you after with all the software comparisons, diretta, etc etc.
If you want to play with filtering math get HQplayer. At least you will be able to control it instead of eq by way of software.
Yup fair point.

Tried HQplayer MK2 and 3 but to much fiddling left me in a filter choice crisis and tweaking the filters to often. It's great software and I can see why people like it but not for me really.

I've been comparing software for years going right back to Jplay MK 1 which persuaded me that bits maybe where not just bits. I've tried quite a few software options with varying degrees of success over the years but for me hardware comes first and software second.

I'm also finding the simplicity of control App and low power end point pretty attractive and working pretty well here.

It's just how I hear it and a personal opinion.

but I do get your point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
@shoom
Hardware is similar too. I don’t want any of their false coloration. I don’t want my amplifier to do EQ, I dont want my speakers to do compression. I dont want my room nullifying or boosting certain frequencies. I dont want my D/A conversion to yield an "edge" that was not there.

What you’re doing is no different than tweaking filters as you would be in HQplayer. More work and time consuming though lol.

Interesting project. I came up with exactly the same idea more than 30 years ago and I've seen others build DAC's which have used it.

I also believe that many modern D/A converters already use something similar with a built-in PLL. I'm constructing a SD-card player which has a PCM5102 D/A converter which has a PLL. The sound quality is just amazing and it only costs a couple of dimes (the board I bought was less than $10).

I believe this project is therefore superfluous.

BTW I also came up with the idea to use an atomic clock as a timing reference. Thirty or so years ago this was barely feasible. Today you can buy small modules with an atomic reference which fit on a small PCB.

Last edited:
I need some help for debugging the issue appears after I made some changes.

Until couple weeks this was my transport build based on Ian modules:
  • StationPiPro
  • Dual LinearPi (mk1) + 2 x UcConditioner 5V - feeding RPi and dirty side of FifoQ7
  • 1 x UcPure (mk1) + 2 x 2.7V/3000F capacitors (TPLH-2R7/3000SL60X138) + Aliexpress balancer feeding clean side of:
- FifoPiQ7 (mk1) - stock clocks​
- HDMIPiPro (mk1)​
- TransportPiAES​
  • MonitorPi
  • Toroidy transformer
- secondary1 6V / 3A​
- secondary2 6V / 3A​
- secondary3 6V / 5A (not used)​
- secondary4 12V / 4A​

Recently I made this changes:
  • stock clocks --> SC-PURE clocks
  • Aliexpress balancer --> UcBalancer (I discharged the big caps before installing UcBalancer)
  • MonitorPi --> MonitorPiPro with GPIO extender
  • added ReceiverPiPro mk2

On my initial build, the pure time was about 3 hours, but after I made the changes there's only 1 hour of pure time and sometimes when
changing from "pure output mode" to "protection mode" I have short audible interrupts on music played.

I am thinking this is not a normal behavior and I would need some advice what could I try or measure to figure out what's wrong. I wouldn't buy boards just to verify what's wrong.
My first thought is maybe something wrong with UcBalancer or with UcPure...

I just added a photo of my initial build.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6095.jpg
    IMG_6095.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 148
I need some help for debugging the issue appears after I made some changes.

Until couple weeks this was my transport build based on Ian modules:
  • StationPiPro
  • Dual LinearPi (mk1) + 2 x UcConditioner 5V - feeding RPi and dirty side of FifoQ7
  • 1 x UcPure (mk1) + 2 x 2.7V/3000F capacitors (TPLH-2R7/3000SL60X138) + Aliexpress balancer feeding clean side of:
- FifoPiQ7 (mk1) - stock clocks​
- HDMIPiPro (mk1)​
- TransportPiAES​
  • MonitorPi
  • Toroidy transformer
- secondary1 6V / 3A​
- secondary2 6V / 3A​
- secondary3 6V / 5A (not used)​
- secondary4 12V / 4A​

Recently I made this changes:
  • stock clocks --> SC-PURE clocks
  • Aliexpress balancer --> UcBalancer (I discharged the big caps before installing UcBalancer)
  • MonitorPi --> MonitorPiPro with GPIO extender
  • added ReceiverPiPro mk2

On my initial build, the pure time was about 3 hours, but after I made the changes there's only 1 hour of pure time and sometimes when
changing from "pure output mode" to "protection mode" I have short audible interrupts on music played.

I am thinking this is not a normal behavior and I would need some advice what could I try or measure to figure out what's wrong. I wouldn't buy boards just to verify what's wrong.
My first thought is maybe something wrong with UcBalancer or with UcPure...

I just added a photo of my initial build.

Thanks!
When reading about your updates my first thought was the same as you regarding the UcBalncer.

Are the voltage across each of the super capacitor the same?

Regards Mikkel

Of course.
https://a.co/d/gd1l9cx

Or Google

10Gtek Gigabit Fiber Media Converter w/ Pair of Bidi SFP Singlemode Simplex LC Module

Then add a good linear power supply like the TOPPING P50 LPS.

Approach it like you are creating a “dirty side” (modem cpu, router, switch, etc etc)
And a “clean side” ( audio gear)
The only thing that connects the dirty side to the clean side is the fiber cable. Nothing else.

For $200 this is by far the best “tweek” for improving network audio.
Thanks @camrector - yes that's more in line with my budgetary requirements ;) - I have ordered the Fibre Media Converters. I have an unused 5v 1A output on an Allo Shanti psu - so I only need a linear psu with one output - any recommendations? Are any of the Aliexpress 5v linear PSU's ok?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This used to be my setup, consisting of two stacks connected by a HDMI cable
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/attachments/_mg_2855_radiant_photo-jpeg.1246669/

Stack 1: RPI + IsolatorPi II + HDMIpi MKII
Stack 2: ReceiverPi DDC + FifoPi Q7 + DAC

I have modified Stack 1 to be RPI + IsolatorPi II + FifoPi Q7 + HDMI Pro II.

The new setup is:
RPI -> IsolatorPi II -> FifoPi Q7 -> HDMI Pro II ---> HDMI Cable ---> Receiver DDC -> FifoPi Q7 (with SC-PURE) -> DAC

So, I am using two FifoPi Q7, which makes a noticeable improvement. It reminds me of hearing Diretta's improvement when I heard it for the first time. The music is so clean and detailed across the whole frequency.

Surprising. How does doubling FifoPi Q7 in the signal path bring a noticeable improvement?

Reactions: 4 users
I found a similar positive effect but by removing things. Started with RPI -> Isolator -> HDMI Transmitter -> Receiver dcc -> fifopi ...

Then removed HDMI Transmitter and Receiver DCC. I just use a gpio extender instead to get some room between RPI and fifopi because of EMI. Sound is cleaner in this Setup. Like I know it from jitter improvements. But i don't get it. Input should not have no Impact when fifopi follows. And also in your case, why two fifopi are better than one?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Sounds a bit like the solid state high voltage shunt supply ( designed by the famous Allen Wright) that used a 15 volt supply as a reference voltage. This thing could be upgraded by using a shunt supply for the 15 volt as well.
So this added board needs an ucpure supply as well?
I thought that the transmitter and receiver couple where used to allow physical separation between Raspberry and sensitive boards and create an electric/galvanic separation as well.
Maybe can use your old fifopi board as the added board populate it with your old clocks and consider yourself sustainable.
Of course it will get even more difficult to create something that will not have the looks of Centre Pompidou in Paris ( will add a photo for the young ones)
If you have Rpi and hdmi transmitter why will you need the isolator because the " isolation" will be created by using the hdmi connection or not? You need the isolator to supply the transmitter with something it can handle?
Maybe the second fifopi can be a downscaled, more basic and cheaper one?
Like the German gentleman asks why need another board? Is there a reason that could explain this?
Greetings Eduard
Screenshot_2024-02-18-14-43-21-02_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

@Flikoman - Just trying to help with a few ideas - no diagnoses on your actual issue ... The WaveIO is optically isolated - which might be the reason why you have the noise in the other solution. which I do not know - so just asking if there is optical isolation in there or a galvanic connection?

just a quick check. if you run the USB from a notebook on battery power, is the noise still present?

Hi,

@dddac I have tried with a notebook on a battery power, noise is still there. I tried a few different USB cables, so no problem with that either. Noise is a high pitched noise from a tweeter, if that helps.

So, my configuration is 4 deck DDDAC with transformers on the output. Input part is Amanero --> BridgePi --> FiFoPi Q7 --> I2S to DDDAC.

@iancanada Do you maybe some some idea to try?

Thanks

Anyone here with a suggestion how to debug / fix the following?

I have the StationPi Pro Universal Multi-inputs Digital Audio FIFO Re-Clock Platform Bought/build as separate components, a stationpi pro, a receiverpi pro II, a monitorpi pro and Amanero usb (bought from audiophonics). With Fifopi Q7, sc pure clocks and TransportPiAES out. The setup works like a charm for rpi and optical input. However, I do not see USB as an input option on the Monitorpi pro (see attachment)

I have DDC control setting of the monitorpi set to RCP enable. Pin 3 and 7 of J14 of the stationpi pro shorted, in line with application note 2.

The usb input led is on (see attachment) when the selected input is optical, so it might be I misplaced a jumper or missed a step in the documentation. But I am unable to figure out what I did wrong. The software version of the monitorpi pro is 2.5.

Attachments

• monitor-no-usb.jpg
    monitor-no-usb.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 38
  • streamer.jpg
    streamer.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 40