Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Hello,
for the OPA861 I/V Stage:
how would I adjust iv resistors for lower output? The standard resistors give 4V rms balanced. What values would give 2V rms? This would be for Ian’s dual mono DAC hat.
What values to use with ES9038pro?
Thank for any help
Regards
Branko

Reactions: 1 user
Hi to all,

I did some testing with the FifoPI Q7, the DDDAC and the HQPlayer. Sounds excellent!

I was wondering whether somebody tried the Ian mono dac with HQPlayer en what your experiences are?

@Ian: can the mono dac be used in a way that the filtering is completely managed by HQPlayer?

Thank you,

Rgrds, Jan

As I would like to keep the enclosures on my deck as small as possible:
Could I place the regulators and/or the transformers (linear-pi, ucpure etc.) in separate enclosures away from streamer or dac.
What would be the benefit of putting the regulators as near as possible to dac, fifopi etc.

BR
Branko

I finally finished my personal D11 Dac, based on UCpure.
I struggled when I started a few years ago with the lack of complete examples of builds and decided to share my projects. May not be perfect but hope it helps someone starting out.
Detailed build on my YouTube Chanel.
Happy Holidays to all
Gaby

Awesome videos, Gaby. I started my adventure after watching your video with IanCanada components 2 months ago, still waiting for some parts to finish it. Hope I get to show the off soon :) One thing to let other beginners like me to take note is that this is not as simple as Gaby made it look, got to be very careful with Ian's DAC, one really must read and understand the instructions. I have already broke one of the 3 UcConditioner while try to soldier the capacitors to the board, over heated it I wonder or connected to the wrong terminal, mixed up + and - ? Who knows. Good solder Iron, some knowledge on electronics are a must. It's all fun, and expensive, if not careful.

Reactions: 1 users
A long time ago, I made a DAC based on RPI4, AUDIOPHONICS ES9038Q2M and Sigma 11 power supply. Toroidal transformer and 230 V power inlet are medical grade.
But I want to take the next step because my Lotoo PAW 6000 sounds better with a ZMF Verité closed headphone.
I've put a BOM together based on what I've read on this formum and Gabster's video's.
- 1 x Toroidal Transformer 300VA 2x12V
Power supplies for everything but the RPI:
- 2 x Maxwell 18V 500F Super Capacitor Auto Start Battery 3.0V 3000F Super Capacitor 6pcs/set with OA Screw Type
I need 5 pair and buying two of these is cheaper than 5 seperate pairs. And the balance boards are included.
- 5 x IAN CANADA UCPURE Ultracapacitor Power Supply Module Class A 3.3V / 15V
Power supply RPI:
  • 1 x IAN CANADA LINEARPI SOLO Ultra-Low Noise Linear Power Supply Module 5V / 3.3V 2.5A
  • 1 x IAN CANADA UCCONDITIONER Ultra Capacitor Conditioner Board 5V
  • 2 x MAXWELL Supercapacitor 2.7V 325F
Or I could reuse the sigma 11 as it delivers more power. I have a 4 TB Samsung SSD connected to the PI. 2,5 A could be just not enough.

• 1 x IAN CANADA STATIONPI PRO Raspberry Pi and HAT Boards Adapter Station
  • 1 x IAN CANADA SHIELDPI PRO Multifunction Board EMI Shielding / Power Supply Filter for Raspberry Pi
  • 1 x IAN CANADA FIFOPI Q7 Synchronous FIFO Reclocker Board I2S 32bit 768kHz DSD1024 DoP256
  • 1 x IAN CANADA MONITORPI OLED Screen and Signal Analyzer Board for Raspberry Pi
  • 1 x IAN CANADA OPA861 fully Balanced Zero Feedback I/V Stage

I'm using Volumio and are extremely happy with it. Love the peppymeter plug in. Will this setup play Volumio. I suppose, but want to be sure.
I would buy most of the material at audiophonics in France, no customs since I live in Belgium.
The ultra capacitors are from Amazon, dispatched from China. I can't find the Eaton ultra caps in Europe, any suggestions?
The OPA861 needs +5 v and - 5 V. Can I connect the 0 V from one UCPURE to the +5 V of another UCPURE to create a + and - 5 V?

I would like to have a headphone connection next to the XLR connections from the OPA861. Any suggestions how to add something to do so? Mini xlr or balanced in any case of top quality. Unfortunately Furutech has no mini xlr nor 4.4 mm rhodium panel mount connectors (I hear the difference). The OPA861 manual explains that the RCA connections are for testing only.

Gabster uses 3 toroidal transformers in his D11 ultimate DAC. Together they deliver 300 VA. Could one 300 VA suffice?

Once everything is put together, I would like to change the crystals.

@Panamarenko The way I powered my setup. I also installed 3.15A time delay fuses in the LinearPiMkII's because the stock fuses blew.
IanDAC.jpg

So your setup should similar
UcPure OPA861.jpg

Last edited:
@Panamarenko I created the drawings referencing Gabster's video and adapted them to my setup and cleared it with Ian. I'm interested in the UcPure + Ultra Capacitor PS performance but I've heard a similar capacitor explode (Not sure what caused this) before and don't want that in my living room. Maybe if I installed caps in the garage and ran a two-foot cable trough the wall into my living room. I not completely sold yet. PM me if you or anyone else has a cap go off(explosion), I'd like to know. I'd probably calculate caps end of life and replace it way before then, that and keep my whole house surge suppressor up to date.