Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I can't agree to that. If you check all dimensions from the plug data sheet, measure carefully the distances on the PCB (which I must admit is easier if you lay out the PCB yourself, then you can measure in the CAD) it's not that difficult.

Front Panel Express has predefined hole patterns for connectors and you can position them extremely accurate.

In my case, it ALWAYS comes out exactly as it should. YMMV

Jan

We really should develop a pdf resource of construction hints, including case layout and machining, and mechanical assembly. What forum would this be best posted in? Tools and techniques?

I would be willing to post an draft outline, and the text could be done in a wiki fashion, with people contributing, but DIY Audio would have to agree.

Good evening all.
Sorry for silly question, just would like to confirm.
I saw a post by Terry about C47L and C47R capacitors, but cant find this cap on schematic,
Is it marked as C21 on volume-control schematic?
Could you please confirm it is 220uF 35V, mouser No 647-UES1V221MHM, same as C15, C18, C19?
Best regards.
Sasha.

A question for Carl, I am still waiting on a longer ribbon cable for the input selector. If that is not connected will the preamp default to input one or do I need to wait on the cable.
Thanks
David

Nope. Without the ribbon cable and rotary switch No input would be selected.

However you can force an input on by shorting from the 12v pins (most left) to the channel number that you want to be selected.

IO_CONNECTOR.jpg

Good evening all.
Another silly question about C40L and C40R.
I have PCB v1.2d,
According BOM C40 is 470 uF @35V 12,5mm dia x 5mm LS but on PCB LS is 7,5mm.
My question: can I use Bi-Polar capacitor, same as C8 and C16 (Mouser No 647-UES1V471MHM)?
Best regards.
Sasha.

Sasha,

Did you get your capacitor question sorted? Most any 470uF capacitor rated for 25 volts or greater will work.

Hi Drpro,

I ended up making a paper template by hand after I had populated the boards, then traced the template on the front and back of the case. Cut and sized the holes using a combination of drills, files, and grinding stones, while test fitting until I got the proper fit. Very hard and time consuming on the steel rear panel, took hours. The aluminum front much easier, only needed drills. Unfortunately I can't post the templates as they are made of paper and tape. Carl has posted a template for the front panel, but I couldn't get it to print out to match the actual size because of printer issues. He had said that he would try and post a rear template for the expanded I/O board, but he's been really busy lately.

PJN