Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

The Kuartlotron - keantoken's simple error-correction superbuffer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2015, 05:32 PM   #481
Project16 is offline Project16  France
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone!

@Jean Paul:

I started an implementation for a version with two channels of Kuartlotron (without power on the card Firstly) with standard components.

Before going further, do you think that this provision is interesting?
But as keantoken working to propose a layout, should I continue?

Regard's!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kuartlotron_Stereo.JPG (233.3 KB, 473 views)
Old 2nd September 2015, 05:40 PM   #482
thimios is offline thimios  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project16 View Post
Hello everyone!

@Jean Paul:

I started an implementation for a version with two channels of Kuartlotron (without power on the card Firstly) with standard components.

Regard's!
I can't see the reason for a one version pcb only
You must continue working
Old 2nd September 2015, 06:00 PM   #483
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project16 View Post
Hello everyone!

@Jean Paul:

Regard's!
Looks good but please reroute inputs to one side and outputs to the other side. Think how it will be wired in a case and where the RCA input- and output plugs will be located. In 99% of cases inputs are at one side and outputs at the other side. Tidy wiring adds to the final result. You don't want cross wiring of inputs and outputs. Please add pads for Alps RK27 (minimum standard for quality volume control), input- and output caps and a muting relay just like Mezmerize has as you will need it. Adding pads for a a simple PSU (rectifier diodes + RC filters + LM317/337) will give you the opportunity to use it before you will be drawing a spectacular symmetrical low noise PSU If you leave the connector block you will be able to wire the new PSU later on. I would also add a simple RC filter at the inputs to filter out HF/RF. The point with high bandwidth is.... you know what I mean.

Just go on, if it is not for others it will be for yourself and it will make your skills better. I was busy with it as well but decided to change to a new GB project that needs much time.

Last edited by jean-paul; 2nd September 2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 2nd September 2015, 06:07 PM   #484
keantoken is offline keantoken  United States
diyAudio Member

I got this far and then realized the MOSFETs were TO-247 and not TO-220. Why use such horrendously oversized devices?
Attached Images
File Type: png Mesmerize-swap-pcb-shunts2.png (30.1 KB, 464 views)
Old 2nd September 2015, 06:28 PM   #485

With the DCB1 someone came up with running the MOSFETs at very high currents (so called "hotrodding"). This was supposed to sound better. I haven't tried but knowing that the circuit only draws a few mA I never even bothered. In my Mezmerize samples I used small heatsinks in standard config but let's say the MOSFETs only get lukewarm at standard current even without the heatsinks. Maybe Salas can give advice on suitable TO220 devices. I would add TO220 heatsink pads for heatsinks that can be soldered on the PCB in case you will use TO220 MOSFETs.

BTW "horrendously oversized devices" is a standard in audio land. I bet they won't break down in this application You either design "can I get away with it?" when working for a manufacturer or "over dimensioned" when it's DIY. There seems to be no middle solution in audio. Those that "over dimension" get all the girls. Fact !

Last edited by jean-paul; 2nd September 2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 2nd September 2015, 06:45 PM   #486
Project16 is offline Project16  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Looks good but please reroute inputs to one side and outputs to the other side. Think how it will be wired in a case and where the RCA input- and output plugs will be located. In 99% of cases inputs are at one side and outputs at the other side. Tidy wiring adds to the final result.
I thought a provision like this.
Attached Images
File Type: png Sans titre.png (240.6 KB, 451 views)
Old 2nd September 2015, 06:50 PM   #487

Do as you like but that is cross wiring. They taught me to keep inputs grouped together, same with outputs.
Old 2nd September 2015, 07:31 PM   #488
keantoken is offline keantoken  United States
diyAudio Member

It needs a TO-220 part that's as slow as the IRF240 to make it stable. Or I could just add another resistor and use the IRF710. Thoughts?
Old 2nd September 2015, 07:58 PM   #489
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Do as you like but that is cross wiring. They taught me to keep inputs grouped together, same with outputs.
I think that a 3D connection topology can solve this. x / y for signals and z for power feeding. This means all power feed taken off the board and just injected where needed from z direction. This is also good as fields from power feed is orthogonal to signal carrying lines.

What say you?

//
Old 2nd September 2015, 08:15 PM   #490

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
It needs a TO-220 part that's as slow as the IRF240 to make it stable. Or I could just add another resistor and use the IRF710. Thoughts?
Never change a winning team. Just use the proven parts and be done with it. They are not expensive and no heatsinks necessary. You can use the somewhat larger board space for other useful stuff... Please compare to using V8 engines in cars Horrendously oversized, polluting and uneconomic but they are still used in some countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
I think that a 3D connection topology can solve this. x / y for signals and z for power feeding. This means all power feed taken off the board and just injected where needed from z direction. This is also good as fields from power feed is orthogonal to signal carrying lines.

What say you?

//
Eh ? I never saw the Matrix. On second thoughts: I think I understand what you mean. It can also be done by turning the active parts of the design 180 degrees, leave the potentiometer where it is now and make the board somewhat larger. Then regroup inputs brotherly together and flip them to the other side of the board. This board just needs SMD parts ... and a PSU...

Last edited by jean-paul; 2nd September 2015 at 08:44 PM.

The Kuartlotron - keantoken's simple error-correction superbufferHide this!Advertise here!