Which 10" driver for 4m TL?

To be more specific, I'm referring to REW's "Trace Arithmetic" feature to combine the response of the vent and the response of the driver, as illustrated in the example below.

Hey Brian, thanks a lot! Found it.
Look at this graph. I combined the SPL of the driver and the port.
And I put is in comparison with HR also.

Attachments

• TL towersub measurement combined.jpg
    TL towersub measurement combined.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 153
  • TL towersub - comparison measurement2.png
    TL towersub - comparison measurement2.png
    189.9 KB · Views: 162
Note that you'll have to adjust the level of the vent's response before doing the combination, based on the difference in surface area between the vent and the driver.

In my example's case, the driver and PR have the same Sd, so no level adjustment was required before combination of the two response curves.
Hey Brian, how do I adjust the vents response?

Hey Booger, look at this picture. Is this what you mean?
The design and the measurement next to each other.
In Hornresp the first big dip is at around 75 Hz. In the measurement it is around 65 Hz. In my opinion the shape is 'confirmed', but shifted to a little lower frequency. Mention the same shift at very lows. The vent extends to 13 Hz instead of 17 Hz.

Yeah, looks like you found it. kinda fun to see what you created. i just about finished up a dayton rss 265ho4 sub in ~300 cm as 2 folds(3segments) and a couple goofy bolton ‘chambers to mess with that nulled spot

Can we follow that build somewhere?

I dont think i could do a build thread without changing my mind and switching so many things around and altering silly little insignificants around justto daydream long enough to conjure up the next half baked version of theres never ever enough of these or the ways to tweak and twist the same basic air mass and driver in idea and almost guarantee thanks to all of ’better than any store bought that the DiY community and Mr McBean have grabbed:D

Attachments

• AC6654A2-AF18-4A67-A510-28E474260B6D.jpg
    AC6654A2-AF18-4A67-A510-28E474260B6D.jpg
    831.2 KB · Views: 134
one wants a lot of clean xmax in a 10" driver. Years back, I had two of Roger Sanders T-line (~3M IIRC) for 10" with Eclipse W1038. Those were woefully inadequate for theater organ playback and excursions at moderate levels would jump far past xmax. One low tuned K15 (per Exemplar) with 416Z and ~30Hz boost sounded much better.

Adjustment = 20 log(Sp/Sd)

Example, if Sp (the cross-sectional area of the vent) is half that of the driver, the nearfield response of the vent needs to be reduced by 6dB in comparison to the nearfield response of the driver.
Thanx Brian!
In my case:
20*log(261/342) = -2,3 dB
Here is my new plot.

Attachments

• TL towersub measurement combined2.jpg
    TL towersub measurement combined2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 127
I dont think i could do a build thread without changing my mind and switching so many things around and altering silly little insignificants around justto daydream long enough to conjure up the next half baked version of theres never ever enough of these or the ways to tweak and twist the same basic air mass and driver in idea and almost guarantee thanks to all of ’better than any store bought that the DiY community and Mr McBean have grabbed:D
That is a nice project Booger. Would still like to follow, and you mind changes too ;)

Nice measurements PCSoldaat. Have you taken any at your listening position? My two L26ROY were shipped from Norway yesterday :)
Hey Mart, I tried to make in room measurements, but they look rubbish. Must be the mic. It's not omnidirectional. So my best measurement in room is by ear (and stomach) and they love it :D

Nice yours are coming. You needed to import? Here in NL I can order them local. Arrived in 1 day.

Yesterday I finally found some time for a last sanding job. Sanded with 120, 180 and 240 paper.
Unfortunately I can't paint inside - I have a 15mo running around - so I tried it in my shed. It barely fits in, but got the job done. Now wait couple of days due to low temperature. I miss him already :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_20210123_085823.jpg
    IMG_20210123_085823.jpg
    701.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20210123_085804.jpg
    IMG_20210123_085804.jpg
    605.7 KB · Views: 141
Ordered from UK based company, but they didn't have in stock, but happy to wait. Hoping for a significant sound quality improvement over my two peerless drivers which I bought second hand for my build.

Bet you miss it, build looks great. Would love to build something similar to yours, but wife wouldn't allow it! Haha.

Yesterday I finally found some time for a last sanding job. Sanded with 120, 180 and 240 paper.
Unfortunately I can't paint inside - I have a 15mo running around - so I tried it in my shed. It barely fits in, but got the job done. Now wait couple of days due to low temperature. I miss him already :rolleyes:

Wow, that looks really good! 45degree chamfer with the router all those edges or the panel was cut prior to assembly?

Ordered from UK based company, but they didn't have in stock, but happy to wait. Hoping for a significant sound quality improvement over my two peerless drivers which I bought second hand for my build.

Bet you miss it, build looks great. Would love to build something similar to yours, but wife wouldn't allow it! Haha.

My sub will squeezed in a corner, next to a big cabinet, behind a curtain. Completely out of sight. Very wife-friendly :D.
Don't you have such a corner left? Low frequencies are omnidirectional anyways. SPL is pretty equal in the whole room.

Thanx Brian!
In my case:
20*log(261/342) = -2,3 dB
Here is my new plot.

One final bit of advice - using 10 dB steps in a frequency response plot tends to make it look smoother and flatter than it really is. Adjust the plot range in REW so the steps are 5dB as per attached example..

Attachments

• 20200705-PITA Bass Response.png
    20200705-PITA Bass Response.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 145
My sub will squeezed in a corner, next to a big cabinet, behind a curtain. Completely out of sight. Very wife-friendly :D.
Don't you have such a corner left? Low frequencies are omnidirectional anyways. SPL is pretty equal in the whole room.

I've gone over other designs with missus. Limited to ported, but am allowed to build more subs if we have a house extension! My two L26ROy are both going in a single 3.25 cuft ported enclosure (profile picture), would like have each driver in their own ported enclosure to smooth out room modes, I have 30Hz standing wave issues.

You should give bassotronics curtain shaker a demo on your new awesome build!

Last edited:
I've gone over other designs with missus. Limited to ported, but am allowed to build more subs if we have a house extension! My two L26ROy are both going in a single 3.25 cuft ported enclosure (profile picture), would like have each driver in their own ported enclosure to smooth out room modes, I have 30Hz standing wave issues.

You should give bassotronics curtain shaker a demo on your new awesome build!

So you only swap the drivers. Does the box fit well? No changes needed?

I will try that track and show it :nod:

It's pretty fun to listen to big beats, but not for long. Now I am discovering music I couldn't listen properly before. Like deep bass guitars. My favorite atm: Long After You're Gone (High Quality) Audiophiles Music . - YouTube

So you only swap the drivers. Does the box fit well? No changes needed?

I will try that track and show it :nod:

It's pretty fun to listen to big beats, but not for long. Now I am discovering music I couldn't listen properly before. Like deep bass guitars. My favorite atm: Long After You're Gone (High Quality) Audiophiles Music . - YouTube

The L26ROY have the exact same bolt hole spacing as my existing peerless drivers, so a straight swap. Modelled, the change to SEAS will have a slight drop in efficiency below 30Hz but an increase above 30Hz. Main goal is SQ.

Yeah agreed, awesome to hear the bottom octave between 16 and 32Hz, most HiFi speakers can barely make that octave audible. Thanks for recommended tune, will check it out.