Where are the ZV9 builders???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How about 6800 + 2x 2200 uf would they fit?

One of the reasons I still haven't built the ZV9 is that the Peter/Veteran PCB is too compact and doesn't allow much room to all the components I would like to include.

Besides I prefer the trannys only in one side which of course dictates a Left and a Right side boards similar to what we did for the F2.

GRollins said:

You can find people who dislike most any circuit you care to name. Don't let it keep you awake at night.

Grey

Nelson Pass said:

All the more reason why you should give it a try.

Yeah, why not...When I think about it, some people don't like Cathode Followers, yet I find nothing wrong with it. So, I'll give SRPP a try, as soon as I get some free time.

Thanks for the support,

Vix

When I order Fet's from my Fet-pusher... I simply state that I want the same lot code. Invariably, he sends me just that! If your suplier cant do that, I suggest that you find another...
I have just received 2 tubes of IRFP240 and 2 tubes of IRFP9240's with the same code and they produce 6-pack's like nothing, for the UGS poweramp I am working on. Another peculiar fact that I would like to add is that, at some point I bought a lot (well 100 pcs, oppinions do vary;) ) of IRF610 from the US. I had to go through the lot to find two sets of 5 matches!
To my best knowledge, someone had their hands in there, before me!!!
One more peculiar fact is , that Onsemi's TO247 mosfets, match like heaven;) Almost all of them are within very close tolerances, The IRF's suck in that regard, in comparison.
:)

Although I haven't used Motorola/OnSemi MOSFETs recently (it would help if they had P-ch devices--the last time I looked, they didn't), I agree that they were incredibly consistent from one device to the next. What they do that IRF, Fairchild, et. al. don't, I don't know, but they are a dream to match.

Grey

This brings up the obvious question: How can one measure the input capacitance of a mosfet device?? What I am pointing at is the fact that IRF devices has the lowest input capacitance, but they have the worst VGS tolerance, for shure!! Did anyone check their stated CiSS values? And if yes, how??

A crude way to do it is to stick a larger than usual Gate stopper resistor on the thing and check the bandwidth. Not that you can't measure the bandwidth with 221 Ohms or whatever you might be using, but it's somewhat more convenient to measure the bandwidth if it's 50kHz than if it's 500kHz.
If my memory is still functioning, the Motorola MOSFETs used to rate higher regarding capacitance, but I never actually checked it. It wasn't enough higher that I was bothered by it.
I just pulled up another tab on my browser and looked...OnSemi still doesn't show any big P-ch MOSFETs. Mind you, that isn't a deal-killer. You could still build Alephs (they do have a handful of TO-220 P-ch devices that might work for the front end), or something with a quasi-complimentary output stage, or a Circlotron, or...
I'd better stop before I talk myself into something. I'm in absolutely no condition to go buy a bunch of parts right now.

Grey

If they receive an order for some random number of parts, they'll pour them out of a tube and send them out. If they get an order for a whole tube of parts, they might just decide to backfill a partial tube with parts left over from other orders rather than send an untouched tube.
I ordered 100 Fairchild output devices from Mouser. I'm not sure how Fairchild packages them, but what I received were three tubes of 30 and a single tube of 10. If they arrive from Fairchild in tubes of 25 or 50, then obviously some repackaging went on. I got two lots, roughly 60/40, as I recall.

Grey

Here ya go, the little hero before tightening down!!

Attachments

• hero_sm.jpg
    hero_sm.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 698
It´s time for me to start building my ZV9 too. I have pcb´s, heatsinks, Jfets, power transformers and I ordered all the passive components yesterday. One question though: Can I use IRFP260 instead of -240? I have a bag of -260s...
I guess the higher capacitance won´t be a problem for the cascode Fet and the cap multiplier, but maybe for the signal-tracking CCS?

Fuling said:
It´s time for me to start building my ZV9 too. I have pcb´s, heatsinks, Jfets, power transformers and I ordered all the passive components yesterday. One question though: Can I use IRFP260 instead of -240? I have a bag of -260s...
I guess the higher capacitance won´t be a problem for the cascode Fet and the cap multiplier, but maybe for the signal-tracking CCS?

It makes no difference. I have tried with 2*irfp250, couldn't tell the difference from those to a single irfp044.

Magura :)

I had a chance to listen to the ZenV9 on the Abby's today. As you could see on previous pic's, the boards are set up without Feedback and the Aleph CCS is disconnected. Mating it to the Abby's in combination with a passive pre as Vix suggested, sounds really good, indeed. I think this is the best amp for the Abby's (that I have heard) There is more bottomend and the overall sound is smooth and fuller sounding. I made and use the filter that is suggested for the Abby's in the papers about Current source amp's and fullrangers. I will try and connect the BosoZ shortly to see how that turns out, allthough the Abby's dont need the gain. They are approx 96dB/W, so the CD-player can do the job alone:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.