Where are the ZV9 builders???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Vix said:

44 V times 4A.. :hot: :hot: :hot:

I'd be afraid to run it that high. Nevertheless, if you manage to cool it, it should be well worth...

:cool:

It sure is well worth it...I just don't expect the mosfets to have a particulary long life in this application. Surprisingly those FET's are soon to have one year birthday :) runnig an average of like 4 to 5 hours a day. I sure didn't expect that. The JFET's are too pushed very hard, and they are soon to be half a year old in that amp.

Anyway, the sound is about as sweet as it gets in my opinion without resorting to differential pairs and inductors. For the Abbey's it beats any amp I have tested so far. That includes an AX-100, a mini aleph and a bunch of commercial gear.

Magura :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Magura said:

It sure is well worth it...I just don't expect the mosfets to have a particulary long life in this application. Surprisingly those FET's are soon to have one year birthday :) runnig an average of like 4 to 5 hours a day. I sure didn't expect that. The JFET's are too pushed very hard, and they are soon to be half a year old in that amp.

Anyway, the sound is about as sweet as it gets in my opinion without resorting to differential pairs and inductors. For the Abbey's it beats any amp I have tested so far. That includes an AX-100, a mini aleph and a bunch of commercial gear.

Magura :)

isn't possible to double number of jfets and m'sfets ?

:scratch:

I was scratching my head and wondering whether I correctly assumed the feedbackless ZV9 input impedance. I removed feedback and connected 100 K resistors across the inputs. I guessed that the input impedance will then equal 100 K.

(I needed 100K input impedance because of the PLL filter I applied).

Or Not...:scratch: :headbash:

Maybe I'm wrong...

Please someone :bulb: me...

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Zen9 Heat sink

You guys think this heat sink is big enough for a Zen 9? Looks a little small.
I want to stack 2 for one channel and put the CCS on one and Jfet and Fet on the other.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Vince

Attachments

• goldsink3b.jpg
    goldsink3b.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 880
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Umm. True that.

I was considering stacking because I have these 5"+ caps that I'd like to use. However, with 20"+ on depth, I could lay the caps flat too. Should be room for caps and transfos too.

That brings up another question: what's the voltage of the PS caps? I have about 20- 10k uf 35v caps...Nope. Needs 63v. I'll have to add them to the shopping list.

Thanks,
:D
V~

My ZV9 at last.......

When a suitable chassis came up, the ZV9 amp was fired up!

382072008120-1859350.jpg

LU1014D power JFET, which will be solder at the Copper plate

382072008123-2121141.jpg

ZV9 PCB by PD & DA
Most resistors are BC's, with MUSE KZ caps and Blackgate F

382072008123-2121140.jpg

I have to wire the JFET due to fragile pins of LU1014D

382072008123-2121142.jpg

RIFA PEH169 22000uF/63V for power and coupling

382072008123-2121143.jpg

Measuring voltages

382072008123-2121144.jpg

Listening test

Still trying on different bypass cap

Thank you PAPA!

As to the coupling caps, I tried it initially with Jensens 10,000/63 electrolytics and it sounded fine; I later added 0.1uF teflon caps in parallel and the sound improved in high frequencies although lost a bit in naturalness.

The big step forward however, was using separate coupling caps for tweeter and midrange drivers (in my case I use aditional amp for subs so midrange is limited to 100Hz or so). I used Siemens MKV 6.3uF for the ribbons and BG N 330/100 for midrange coupling (the only caps between amp and the drivers) and that creates the sound that is in a completely different league ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.