Where are the ZV9 builders???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jimmyd53 said:
How about the Russian 6h6p? They are cheap on epay.

why not - decent mi/S/Ri ratio ....... not ratio but values ;)

anyway - all depends of exact needs for gain , where you must look at mi/ Ra / Xformer ratio ........ and decide what are your goals .......

in any case - that's job for decent tube - with smallish Ri , highish xconductance and adequate mi

Zen Mod said:

:clown: seems that you are even more wackoo since you are independent :rofl: :rofl:

Independent? I was independent, but last year I got married!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Now I have to obey to the new laws....(luckily, OB's are still permitted)..

(OT: Just between us, recently me and my wife moved to the smaller apartment; Now the listening room is ho-rri-ble.. (4x4m) agh...I will try some room treatments...my OB's are now along one of the walls, but nonetheless they sound baaaddd :bawling: ) If nothing works out, I'd have to build some smaller speakers (metronome of half-changs...) we'll see in the couple of days, I have to stuff some more things into that room....)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
sandstorm33 said:

Kindly define working point??I'm really into this circuit and need whatever advice you may have.

you can go to Pumpie thread and post exact schematic you use ;
I know that you somewhere already does that , but - I must confess that - I'm somewhat lost between threads,posts,foras,languages ....... :clown:

just point me in right direction and write which jfets you intend to use .....

I'd also like to say something in favor of the F3 . Somewhere I read that it sounds as hard as hell .
Well it is not a simple amp to build . But depending on power supply and audio source quality this amp is pure joy . I obtained 2 very soft traks from it , very musical . Not hard at all .
But I repeat it is IMHO very sensitive to ground pollution , audio sources PS arrangements and why not I prefere it with high efficience driver .

It is very nice to be a diyer sometimes .

:drink:

Zen Mod said:

you can go to Pumpie thread and post exact schematic you use ;
I know that you somewhere already does that , but - I must confess that - I'm somewhat lost between threads,posts,foras,languages ....... :clown:

just point me in right direction and write which jfets you intend to use .....

Attached schematic is my reference. I am building as drawn. This was given to STEENOE for f4.

Attachments

• steens-jfetbosozbjt.jpg
    steens-jfetbosozbjt.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 634
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
sandstorm33 said:

Attached schematic is my reference. I am building as drawn. This was given to STEENOE for f4.

yup , for crazy danske :clown:

good enough for start ; you must use 170BL, at least ;

later - with sine and scope , you can fiddle with load resistors , to fine tune it .

keep us informed ............ steen was lazy , and I'm always quicker in drawing than in testing ........ :rofl:

stefanobilliani said:
I have paralleled one film cap to the modulate cascode cap ( 220 uF ) . 1 uF .

My Zen V9 is now and F3 which I adore .

:smash:

Stefanobilliani, did you find that adding a filmcap improved the sound? I am using the Zen9 with efficient speakers (FE166E's) and dont find the sound hard, but it does like a good audiosource as you say. A not so good CD-player, sounds just like that. In that respect it's not as forgiving as a BosoZ/Aleph combination.
Almost anything sounds good with a BosoZ, though;)

sandstorm33 said:

I still have the boards I build in a drawer, so when you are done tweaking I will take advantage of your findings. Great :)
Thats the lazy approach, just in case you didnt know:D

:cool:

Steen, are you still using Zv9 without a pre? Have you tried it with BoSoZ?

In my opinion, ZV9 does not sound hard, but if you have hard-sounding CD-player it will be instantly revealed. That's why I am still using an old Denon DCD800 cdp, while my newish Rotel RCD-02 is collecting dust...

Vix said:
Steen, are you still using Zv9 without a pre? Have you tried it with BoSoZ?

In my opinion, ZV9 does not sound hard, but if you have hard-sounding CD-player it will be instantly revealed. That's why I am still using an old Denon DCD800 cdp, while my newish Rotel RCD-02 is collecting dust...

Yep, I have connected the BosoZ right now (A plain BosoZ) and like it a bit better. What I liked even better was swapping out the CD-player with something else;) Yesterday I P2P wired a simple TDA1543 DAC (Inspired by Peter's design, ofcourse). I hooked the DAC to a 200$ Phillips DVD player with SPDIF out, and it actually sounds surprisingly good:) This is close to a Frugal-file system!
Here is a pic of the DAC. The passive IV is just 2 Riken carbonfilm resistors. I used one of Russ and Brians receiver boards. Next step will be trying adding a D1 IV stage. Never mind the messy build, I just popped it into an old network box.
Overall my ZenV9 system is very nice sounding for the money, indeed.

:)

Attachments

• tda1543dac.jpg
    tda1543dac.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 580
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
Peter Daniel said:
I couldn't care less for display window light, it's one of those myths people like to read in Stereophile.

I have not read in Stereophile.

I have three players:

- SACD player
- two CD players having tube ends

All have the buttons turning off the display windows. Further than turning off, I killed them (recovery still possible tho) for better sound.

My own finding by chance . . .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.