Where are the ZV9 builders???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
steenoe said:
I had a chance to listen to the ZenV9 on the Abby's today. As you could see on previous pic's, the boards are set up without Feedback and the Aleph CCS is disconnected. Mating it to the Abby's in combination with a passive pre as Vix suggested, sounds really good, indeed. I think this is the best amp for the Abby's (that I have heard) There is more bottomend and the overall sound is smooth and fuller sounding. I made and use the filter that is suggested for the Abby's in the papers about Current source amp's and fullrangers. I will try and connect the BosoZ shortly to see how that turns out, allthough the Abby's dont need the gain. They are approx 96dB/W, so the CD-player can do the job alone:cool:

:)

Nice!

:cool:

I wouldn't be surprised if you find that adding BosoZ in the signal path worsens the quality of sound. Not that the Bosoz is bad, but...
When I added my Boz it made the sound more dry, and I had the feeling that some details were muffled... (of course it could go hellishly loud, but I didn't need the loudness...) :devilr: :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 493
Thanks a lot for the comments, guys. I am sure it will be fun to tweak and explore all the different options:cool: Sure I will try with different preamps and without the filter:cool: A buffer in the CD player is probably a good idea. If any of you has an idea how to put together a simple tube buffer for that purpose, I would be glad to hear about it. I am planning on a major upgrade on the CD player anyways. Its not the best player, but with a new DAC circuit and NP's IV stage from the D1, it will probably sound pretty decent.

ZM, is that the last 4 posters in this thread on the pic:D
Wouldnt surprise me....

Hi Steen,

While you are at it, I'd suggest that you don't bother with the tube buffer (!) :D

It's not a joke....

I've built a tube buffer around two years ago, with the another intent: -tube buffered Gainclone: http://www.customanalogue.com/diytubegainclone/index.htm

Well, I've played with it for a while, and it was not my cup of tea (Gainclone). But I could make a good use of a tube buffer: I put it in a different enclosure, installed the inputs, switches...so I built a sort of a passive pre/buffer, which proved to be a nice companion to the feedbackless ZV9.

But, it seems that this may be a better solution:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115115&highlight=

Nice and simple, cheap SRPP. And there's some gain, too. :)

A buffer wasnt really appealing anyways, and since a tube preamp has been in my pipeline for a while I might go that way.
A second reason is, that I am negociating with a guy right now, about a CD-player ;) So the CD-player in the ZenV9 system is looking forward for a real upgrade.
For the preamp, i had my eyes on the Euridice (AKA: Choky's WOT)
Choky's WOT Looks pretty simple too?
"Tube preamp-Currentsource poweramp-singledriver speakers" Pretty exotic stuff, huh?

Hi Steen,

Choky's WOT may seem like a better preamp, but I haven't thought about it because it means I'd have to bother with output transformers, chokes....however, If You can find decent output transformers , than go for it.
OT question for Choky: What about NiCD batteries? Do they need to be taken out periodically and recharged? How often? Thanx.

CD player...why not do this:

http://www.lampizator.eu/SNIPIT/lampizator_DIY.html

Vix

steenoe said:
A buffer wasnt really appealing anyways, and since a tube preamp has been in my pipeline for a while I might go that way.
A second reason is, that I am negociating with a guy right now, about a CD-player ;) So the CD-player in the ZenV9 system is looking forward for a real upgrade.
For the preamp, i had my eyes on the Euridice (AKA: Choky's WOT)
Choky's WOT Looks pretty simple too?
"Tube preamp-Currentsource poweramp-singledriver speakers" Pretty exotic stuff, huh?

Seems that ZM conjured a Jfet XX-Bosoz in your name . It had increased gain etc. Did you use it. ??Just wondering as I have a version of that preamp 2/3 built.(Other 2/3 waiting for parts.)

Vix said:
Hi Steen,

Choky's WOT may seem like a better preamp, but I haven't thought about it because it means I'd have to bother with output transformers, chokes....however, If You can find decent output transformers , than go for it.
OT question for Choky: What about NiCD batteries? Do they need to be taken out periodically and recharged? How often? Thanx.

Vix

You are right, the Moebious is probably a better/easier first time tubepre.
That Lampizator homepage is really cool to read. I like the mans attitude and humour:cool: Thanks for the link, but the new CD player is on the way;)

sandstorm33 said:

Seems that ZM conjured a Jfet XX-Bosoz in your name . It had increased gain etc. Did you use it. ??Just wondering as I have a version of that preamp 2/3 built.(Other 2/3 waiting for parts.)

It had some noise in the topend that I couldnt get rid of, but I think that with a little more effort it could be brought to work just fine. As far as I remember, playing with the bias of the Jfets did change the distortion quite a bit, but With the Pumpkin on the way I didnt pursue it further.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Vix said:

Vix

:clown: seems that you are even more wackoo since you are independent :rofl: :rofl:

anyway - if you look again at Choky's WOT preamp schematic - you'll see that current through EC8010 is 20mA , and I think that's pretty enough for charging even 4Ah Varta's .

especially if you use it as prescribed - at least 8h a day :clown:

Lampizator ............. besides fact that I often mention that site - primary as good example of running in circles - from high tech modern drivers ...... to high tech ancient ones ( and that's exactly my cup of coffee) , I found that Lukasz's implementation of tubes is pretty sloppy , both in choosing working parameters and physical realization . he's completely right in "get rid of everything after" approach for digigigi gadgets , but - as I said - his examples aren't best for toob popularization ......

anyway - food for thought is most important thing you can get from that site , really as starting point ......

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:

It had some noise in the topend that I couldnt get rid of, but I think that with a little more effort it could be brought to work just fine. As far as I remember, playing with the bias of the Jfets did change the distortion quite a bit, but With the Pumpkin on the way I didnt pursue it further.

which version have noise - Mosfet cascodes or little bjts cascodes?

anyway - Brunhilde is in 2-3 month schedule , so your plans for toob preamp will have decent goal

:clown:

Zen Mod said:

which version have noise - Mosfet cascodes or little bjts cascodes?

anyway - Brunhilde is in 2-3 month schedule , so your plans for toob preamp will have decent goal

:clown:

Both of them had a little distortion, but the Bjt version had less, as far as I can recall. The scope showed some clipping sinewaves.

BTW, where do you find those trafo's with the high voltages?
I havent seen them here in DK shops.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:

Both of them had a little distortion, but the Bjt version had less, as far as I can recall. The scope showed some clipping sinewaves.

mosfet version is certainly Frankenstein one ; real one , where cascodes are in peaceful coexistence with jfets is version with bjt cascodes
all you need is to find adequate working point for used jfets.

steenoe said:

BTW, where do you find those trafo's with the high voltages?
I havent seen them here in DK shops.

which trafos ?
if you mean on trafos used in my gadgets........ you know that I'm scavenger ...... they are pulled form old toob gadgets

anyway - if I need any new xformer , I just order them from any of few decent vendors we have locally

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jimmyd53 said:
Which tube would be the best choice for use in a WOT preamp to drive a V9CS? Why? Thanks. James

cheapest and most universal ones - ECC88 (PCC88) /6922

both halves paralleled - for one channel - so - one toob per channel.

if you find box full of EC8020 , send them to me ................. to make few tests
I'll write you back that they're useless :devilr:

edit :

you can always try with few J310 in para..........

:rofl:

but - don't tell anyone that I tell ya that ...... ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.