What's wrong with the kiss, boy?

Love it! Sounds open, detailed, Spacious! warm and just wonderful in front on the X150.5 and it hasn't even warmed up! Thank You many times ZenMod and Jim 6l6 for the boards and abundance of knowledge! Added a bunch of extra iron to a 16 gage steel case from a clapped out crest audio pro power amp. Plan to rework the signal wire management and possibly fab some covers for the edcores. They just seem too close to input signal wires...And I have nice 16 gage steel covers. Peace
IMG_20230420_183939940_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230420_183910567_HDR.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The signal wires probably care about the power transformers and AC power wires though. At least the power transformers have covers.

One solution - rotate everything inside 90 degrees counterclockwise, locate the AC input and AC wires on the right side of the chassis, and locate the input and output jacks and wires and volume pot wires down the left side of the chassis.

A question regarding volume control. For my setu, Iron Pre is receiving balanced source from a PS Audio Perfect Wave MKII DAC which has what appears to be a WM8741 dac based volume control. I can't find the spec, but I suspect 12+db gain. I seem to have read that chip works best at greater than half volume. I'm thinking I could delete the pots on iron pre and increase R28, R30 by 5k or more so that I can control volume from the DAC (with a remote!). No?

The signal wires probably care about the power transformers and AC power wires though. At least the power transformers have covers.

One solution - rotate everything inside 90 degrees counterclockwise, locate the AC input and AC wires on the right side of the chassis, and locate the input and output jacks and wires and volume pot wires down the left side of the chassis.
Yes Ben.I appreciate your observations. I am totally cognizant of the AC B fields.I studied physics as part of my science and engineering degrees..Maybe you noticed the welded square tube ac mains channel. Early days on this iteration.. I may attenuate volume from my DAC and do away with those long wires to front.