What's wrong with the kiss, boy?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Baby steps - but steps , in work at Iron Pumpkins (parts) ......

final pcb iteration,gave it a name, new bobbin elements specimens (0.8mm ABS plastic, reason to make them - factory made ones are sloppy)

Attachments

• Iron-Turtle-pcb.jpg
    Iron-Turtle-pcb.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 445
  • IRON TURTLEshr.jpg
    IRON TURTLEshr.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 910
  • AVC-kalemska-tela.jpg
    AVC-kalemska-tela.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 434
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yup
rotary switch operating relays through flat cable

but not snap on

you'll see as soon I get them from China - usual stuff

it's hard to find economical 24 position switch outside of China - I need them for relays , not Elma or Grayhill to directly switch signal

24Vdc PSU also on switch pcb

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
mhmm, issit a snap-on-rotary-switch-to-lazy-big-cable-converter pcb? :)
stefan

it's sorta more logical to grab pic from net , pronto , than to wait thingies to arrive and photograph them ...... :rofl:

so - something like this

as I said - no big choice of 24 pos. switches around , and pcb mount ones are available just in dreams

so - I'm gonna solder few short wires , while pcb will be mounted ditto on switch screws

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 494
I have been trying to implement the iron-pre concept using a B1 buffer (ver 0) and a pair of telefunken transformers which I bought off ebay. I have been struggling to get the telefunkens to work as autoformers. I do not understand what I am doing wrong - a 200 mV input comes out as 20 mV at the output. However, when I wire up the telefunkens as normal transformers, I can get 200 mV at the output (or 400, if I use the 1:2 links).

I can live with using the telefunkens as transformers, but I am curious as to why I cant get the autoformer concept to work? The circuit follows closely what Zen Mod posted as attached.

2785864f66da355a18e2e40c0f805411.jpg

The other question I have is that assuming that I am using the telefunken as normal transformers, can I drop the 10 uf capacitors (c101 and c201) from the circuit? And the 1k resistors too? (R104 and R204)

bbf8524cdd021afbe01d6b79d923eae3.jpg

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
post datasheet for Telefunkens and we'll see where's the catch - most probably simple phase issue

maybe faster way is - just try to swap secondary ends , in autoformer arrangement

regarding cap - no - you can't shoot DC in xformer , unless it's made for that and you're doing it deliberately .......
signal xformers are not usually made for that

so - either keep cap in signal path , or make buffer with 0Vdc offset ( complementary JFets with dual supply , or any other with same characteristics)

:clown: just don't use TL071 buffer ......

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it must be one of these iterations - one is proper , other one is Dodo/antiphase

when you find proper one , remember that you can use any of secondary taps as OUT+ , to accommodate gain to your needs

however , if you feel uneasy about all that , you can always send them to OPLDF , for proper disposal :clown:

Attachments

• funkens A.jpg
    funkens A.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 162
  • funkens B.jpg
    funkens B.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
I have a pair of those and they will work as Zen autoformers,
Can't remember the wiring but I set them up with a scope to be sure of phase.

Did not use them in the end as there was very little difference in sound between just passive stepped attenuator, and buffer with auto former.

Conclusion was that less is more and just passive used. :)