What's wrong with the kiss, boy?

@6L6
would be cool if the PCBs are ready being sent out with the Vfet supplemental Kits, so postal charges would be half.
Is there an estimation? don´t know if there is an evaluation single test PCB before the mass production ("pcb is married to the schematic thing")
Anyway, one could order the sup-kit later, but its winter and i´m hot :D

tnx (and sorry to paw the ground)
st

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Zen Mod - Yes, download received. :) And as you say, currently in San Francisco for Burning Amp, using just Phone during the day.

noeletrix - I need to download the PCB, have a test run made, build the preamp and make sure there are no PCB errors, then have the production run made, then package everything, get it to the fulfillment / shipping company, etc... It's a straightforward process, but not particularly quick. They will be available when they are available, that's all I know. :D

Also, shipping costs and order combination is mainly done at the time of your order, the fulfillment company is a subcontactor, and we have very little control how they pull and ship the orders, they wouldn't wait for one SKU to be in-stock before shipping another except in very strange circumstances. Also, I'm not sure if the Vfet parts kits are going through our normal distribution... ?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• sent.jpg
    sent.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 747
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Iron Pre , finished files

it's already tomorrow :clown:

anyway - that's it

Attachments

• Iron-Pre-pcb-ss.jpg
    Iron-Pre-pcb-ss.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 869
  • Iron-Pre-pcb-pp.jpg
    Iron-Pre-pcb-pp.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 725
  • Iron-Pre-Good-Gemini-sch.jpg
    Iron-Pre-Good-Gemini-sch.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 2,008
  • Iron-Pre--Gain-Stage-sch.jpg
    Iron-Pre--Gain-Stage-sch.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 737
  • Iron-Pre-Twister-input-selector sch.jpg
    Iron-Pre-Twister-input-selector sch.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 382
hi ZM, could you (after recovering from hard work) loose a word on the difference between the SE shop/ooltimate versions?
Xformer is offboard in ultimate, thats obvious : ) but still Jensen + ordinary pot could be substitute fancy AVC till one can afford it?
disadvantage could be the possible hum with offboard wiring of jensen, but overall (connectors, possisble relay voltag(es) etc...) is optimized in ooltimate for xternal AVC?

is there schematicwise a difference? And to be honest, i didn´t get if we need two of ooltimate for SE stereo : ) ?

best (and thanks again)
stefan

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
easy peasy

let's call them Iron Pre and Iron Pumpkin .

Iron Pre
is for DiyA Store :

relay selector - usual pot - JFet buffer - jensen output autoformer , one shunt reg on board (called Good Gemini)

goes in two flavors - SE and Bal ; in both iterations one Jensen per channel , difference being - connected as usual autoformer for SE , and as (SUSY , tnx to Papa) differential/balanced/whatever for Bal

SE is one stereo pcb

BAl is one mono pcb , so two needed for stereo

trambolinity:
on both you can toss ordinary pot (short adequate pads on pcb) and instead of Jensen - connect on his pads AVC** of your liking (maybe with ZM's help to decipher proper connection for you)

**(for SE iteration you can choose AVC of your liking , several of them on market , mine hopefully soon too

for Balanced iteration you need Balanced AVC , choose one of your liking , few of them on market , mine hopefully soon too )

mains xformer - secondary 36Vac CT 10VA is minimum , either one per channel of common for both

piccolo heatsinks on Good Gemini

now , Iron Pumpkin

relay selector - Diamond Buffer - AVC connected with gain (you choose tap - anything between 0db and 7.5db (let's just say that I'm declaring 7.5db less optimal vs. smaller ones)

shunt reg on board ,same as in Iron Pre

goes in two flavors - SE and Bal

both as mono pcbs , due to bloody number of parts in DB , comparing to elegant and simple JFet buffer

schematic and all habla would be published , but my pcbs stays in my domain

for SE iteration you can choose AVC of your liking , several of them on market , mine hopefully soon too

for Balanced iteration you need Balanced AVC , choose one of your liking , few of them on market , mine hopefully soon too

trambolinity:

you can connect ordinary pot in front of buffer (two pads strategically on pcb,cut trace between them) and wire Jensen (or any other brand of adequate) autoformer in place of AVC

mains xformer - secondary 48Vac CT (minimum 36Vac CT) , 10VA as minimum when using one per channel , double that when using one for both channels

not so piccolo heatsinks on Good Gemini

applies to both Irons :
for explanation of function of two additional relays on Bal pcb , read one of previous posts ...... #199

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
whatever type of pieces of puzzle you choose to use - pot (or not) , reg , buffer , autoformer (or AVC) ......... there is some heavy Voodoo at work , especially with SUSY iteration

spooky wholeness of sound , hard to get with any other approach of gaining da gain :clown:

disclaimer - under condition that you're using decent iron
however , taking in account experience with M2 , even dirt cheap Edcors are decent enough ...........

The more time I have had my 1:5 autoformer installed in my 100 to 500 hz amplifier the more I have come to appreciate what this does. This is driven by the complementary buffer (2SK170/2SJ74).

There is something about "iron" in the circuit. As many have commented over the years there is something about iron that seems to complement how we perceive sound even though there are plenty of folks with pages of numbers to prove how inappropriate magnetics are for audio.

Though my implementation is over a limited part of the frequency range this wholeness is heard.

Looking forward to the DB for a 1:2 autoformer as a line stage after both the line stage and the DAC.

Folks trying this should also be considering Dave Slagle's custom autoformers instead of wiring a transformer to be an autoformer. But then I am a partisan of Dave's work.