What do members of diyAudio use as music players?

I'm another in the RPi/LMS camp.
RPi4 (Argon case) running Moodie or PiCorePlayer, depending. Topping D50 into the analog sections.

LMS running in a docker container on my NAS for local content.

Cambridge AC35 used as a transport into said DAC.
Squeezebox Touch in Herself's office & in the porch system.

Right now music is playing from an old Acer tablet with a 128GB uSD card, running AIMP, track number 147 in a queue of 3865, regrettably through a Bluetooth speaker (but one with class-D and passive radiator witchcraft to deliver uncannily adequate sound). AIMP remembers track number and position, even if the tablet powers down due to a weak battery. Now playing: "Fish 3" by Colin Newman from the 1981 album "Provisionally Entitled The Singing Fish", 2016 remaster.
The portable player I use most (FLAC and 320k MP3) is a Sandisk Clip Sport; while it has more irritating flaws/features than the Clip+, one improvement is that volume buttons work while the other buttons are locked. I may dare to replaced the battery in the Clip+ some day; I've already been inside to repair the headphone jack.
There's also the WDTV Live Plus; HDMI to Samsung monitor, Toslink to DacMagic to TA2024 amp. It'll play FLAC, but doesn't remember track position. Videos resume just fine, so I've been downloading DJ mixes from Youtube with minimum video quality to take advantage of that.

Moode Audio via Hifiberry + turntable -> Aiyima tube preamp -> Dayton DSP408 -> Aiyima amp -> XPS DMLs + Dayton Audio subwoofer

I was really hoping to cut the preamp out and control everything through the RPi but I just couldn't find a suitable solution.

Anyways look into some audio OSs for your RPi. I have tried a bunch and settled on moOde.

so is the music coming out the android device? I wouldn't want that. Wife uses foobar2000 on her phone and loves it to access the library, but no good for playing on the hifi.
There is a remote control app for Android, works well.
For me the main Hifi has been the problem as wife is unhappy to use it. Dunno if this is a common or rare use case?
Not sure, if I do some major change on my livingroom setup I take the time to explain to my wife how it can be operated. No problems here.
I never liked the Foobar interface, for me it seems clumsy.
You do know it's configureable? I usually go with "slim view + tabs", while it may not be to everyones taste "clumsy" is definitely not the first word that pops into my mind.

Think the last time I used it was the "foobar2000 controller" by Sergi Mola, I had the Pro version, but it's been a few years, it worked quite nice though.
My wife usually sticks to Spotify though, which is a shame because there's a lot of music that will never be on Spotify, IMO the server park way of enjoying music is an active hinder firmly against diversity.

One system has a Volumio/Asus Tinkerboard device that also has an AK4495 dac inside.
Headphone setup at work uses a dedicated windows machine and Foobar to supply an outboard WM8741 dac/headphone amp.
The main room of the house use a $2 Bluetooth setup, sound just fine, and make the extra effort for the more involved setups almost laughable, considering everything imo.

I like the software, but the UX puts me off.
That's interesting. So you want something that is more "modern" in design?
I tend to have a slight affinity towards minimal UI's, function over fashion. And I like the search function and customizeable keyboard shortcuts, also a bonus that it's possible to use the plugins I wrote many years ago for AVS through an addon.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
So you want something that is more "modern" in design?
I'm not against a good looking interface, for sure. But that wasn't what kept me form using Foobar2000 as a player. Never mind what it looked like, I was never comfortable with the layout, or the logic, or something. I just found it hard to use - and for me - non intuitive. For years previous I had used the good old MusicMatch Jukebox, Winamp, iTunes (yuck), LaunchCast, SoundPlay (on BeOS) and some that are lost to memory. They were mostly OK. When I found JRiver it fit the way I wanted to work. Getting my music library organized was easy (but labor intensive). For me it just worked, and was worth paying for the full version.

Foobar might have skins that function more the way I want to work, but I never went down that path, as there were other players right out of the box that worked the way I wanted them to. Foobar remains a tool I use for the great A/B/X test plugin. :up:

Reactions: 1 user
Pano, I can relate to your journey, nice that you have found something you like. Organising music library properly is important stuff. I started having issues in about 2004 with Winamp constantly crashing, could not handle libraries properly and my meager selection of at the time about 20000 tracks was causing serious issues. Foobar2000 just works. Tried Jriver but it was not for me, found it to be too cumbersome or non-intuitive ;-D

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have a question about JRiver. I'm playing to my full range ESL 989's.
I would like to sum the signal to mono below 120Hz, and feed that to both L and R.
That way, I lower the diaphragm excursion in the bass region.allowing me to play louder.
So, above 120Hz the signal is normal stereo, going to mono below 120Hz.

Is that somethinbg that can be done in the JRiver DSP functionality?

Jan