What do members of diyAudio use as music players?

I like security holes, therefore I use the Good Old Telnet and SSH. The power they give means, I am king when I log into my Raspberry Pi. Needless to state the obvious, I must say, IT IS OBVIOUS, I log onto my Pi with my root password as root. When I am in control, I want total control.
[That was joking on my part.]

From my music player, currently the Raspberry Pi, I want predictability and stability and the ability to shut down gracefully, instead of turning the power off. In fact, thanks to this thread, especially including some humourous posts, I am after a solution which permits me to access the Pi through my smartphone and PC. There are ready made solutions. I tried VolumeIO, but it failed to connect to the network. The solution must detect and use an IQaudIO DAC hat. It should also allow me to browse its system files in case I need to change settings.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
In the main an android phone to control volumio on Rpi or to cast Spotify/BBC player/ Radio Paradise to a Google Chromecast.
Of an evening at the weekend the wife and I watch music on YouTube via Sky Q and Samsung TV ....audio through the main hi-fi.

Alas my cd collection gathers dust

Besides the Raspberry Pi with an IQaudIO DAC hat, I have a modified radio-cassette recorder which originally incorporated a CD player. The latter malfunctioned and was removed in around 2003 if my memory serves me right. The CD door was removed and a flat aluminium plate was installed. The internal CD player circuitry and mechanics were also removed. This left the CD player's input into the amplifier free, which I used to solder connections to two phono connectors which were for the CD player's output to an optional external amplifier. I use the flat metal plate to put mp3 players on it. Theses are small and hold a large volume of music on their built in memory. To avoid having battery life issues when I use an mp3 player, I installed a small 3.7V DC power supply complete with a linear regulator. This power supply is completely isolated from the built-in power supply of the radio-cassette-recorder.

Reactions: 1 user
Now I use Deezer Hifi which offer Loseless collection, i still keep my flac album around 400GB in my disc that i got mostly from torrent, i played this flac with Foobar2000. but now Deezer provides more than i can download and less hasle plus additional complete album tag, cover and lyrics. and it will sync between my pc apps with my phone and tablet too

additional AI capabilities also give some recomendation based on genre, year release, artist etc which sometimes usefull too

regarding album collection and UI menu, I prefer Spotify where I can control spotify apps on my pc or media player as slave from my android as master. this is something that Deezer does not have. but Spotify still has not release loseless services yet, so i keep on Deezer for a while

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You can now filter Beethoven's works by type, performer, ensemble, and many other criteria. Display all the Beethoven albums in MQA (664 of them) or in high-rez FLAC (1183).
That all does sound quite cool! I wonder what database it's pulling from? I can't do that with any player I have if the info isn't in the tags. And usually isn't. :(
Obviously I can see what the format is, that's read by the player, but all that other info is rarely in the music files tags.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
It creates it's own from industry sources I believe. That's why it needs a relatively powerful processor and SSD is recommended.

I can't currently find the whitepapers they had but https://roonlabs.com/features gives the marketing spin on it.

I will note some people want the 'rich experience' and some want to just close their eyes and listen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Windows has entries or columns for track name, singer, composer, album, type of music and so on in the properties tab.

These can be seen in Winamp as well.

So the program is simply displaying the already entered information.

And Winamp had an auto tag function, it could find data on line, so that was helpful, particularly for similar songs, for example by different singers in the same band.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
So the program is simply displaying the already entered information.
Nope
And Winamp had an auto tag function, it could find data on line, so that was helpful, particularly for similar songs, for example by different singers in the same band.
I am sure many programs have the ability to correct and augment metadata and of these a number will suffice a large number of music lovers. But I haven't personally seen anything that comes close to what Roon promises (and haven't used Roon yet to see if it delivers on the promise). But the joy of music is that everyone has their own way of enjoying it and I am sure many would not want the distraction of all this additional eye candy whilst trying to listen for which sort of shoes the bass player was wearing in the session.
8TB SSD for media and FLAC files. No fans.
Nice. Another year or two and I'll probably go that way for the server.

I have a 3rd gen i7 laptop with 1Tb SSD running windows, the player is VLC or Foobar2000 and Spotify. I use USB out into my DAC.
I have 2 SB Touch, one in the shed, the other connected to the main system for my wife to access internet radio.
I do have a Pi 3 somewhere, not used it in ages, it has volumio installed.

What do people think of Foobar vs other software players?

Foobar looks like a good DIY match:
  • free
  • well supported
  • highly configurable
  • can load numerous DSPs including VSTs for important configuration
  • good library
  • can stream Qobuz etc via DSPs
  • smart phone control
  • light CPU load so can run on an old windows laptop

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I used to use foobar when I just had a USB hard drive for music. It worked for what I wanted to do at the time and the plugins were useful. Wife still uses it on her phone to play off the server. I get too many calls these days to listen to music at work any more (sob). The Dynamic range plugin was fun have as it did enabled me to check if what I heard matched what the algorithm thought (sometimes we concurred).

Question for all. How does your music playing workflow go?

I never liked the Foobar interface

With skins you can customise Foobar to a multitude of interfaces for any old recycled PC/notebook/Smartphone:

1652951712991.png

1652951756611.png

Smart phone:

1652951844807.png

Great real time analyser:
1652952239377.png

Flexible upsampling DSP fully configurable for the freq vs impulse of your choice:

1652952045975.png

or load up excellent VST's like izotope.....and ....and.....

Its a DIY kind of player.

Disclosure: Foobar is freeware. Im not a Foobar developer. I have used Jriver and Linux but reverted to Foobar.

Reactions: 1 users