What do members of diyAudio use as music players?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Yes I have. Big get stuffed Oracle cluster.

M.A.L.F returned by search results in well under a second from the server database. That is what I need when looking for an album and too lazy to walk the directory tree. And that's with 100,000 tracks on the server. It's why I like MPD. For the kitchen I use minimserver. That has a nested tag search which is completely unsable on the old tablet we use there due to shunting too much data about.

if I get to the stage where I want to see all the Mozart with Hogwood conducting I'll know it's time to bite the Roon bullet.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes I have. Big get stuffed Oracle cluster.

M.A.L.F returned by search results in well under a second from the server database. That is what I need when looking for an album and too lazy to walk the directory tree. And that's with 100,000 tracks on the server. It's why I like MPD. For the kitchen I use minimserver. That has a nested tag search which is completely unsable on the old tablet we use there due to shunting too much data about.

if I get to the stage where I want to see all the Mozart with Hogwood conducting I'll know it's time to bite the Roon bullet.
Ya in my case, there is usually no database as I use files/directories and a player without a library. It takes seconds to more than a minute because I use the search in the file manager... We have similar sized collections apparently.
My favourite player for years was Winamp 2.95 with Wincue. For the first 5 years of running Linux, I still used it with Wine.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I understand that. I did think of getting a NAS for the music then HP were doing a great deal on microservers a few years back so decided to put as much of the software onto that. I may have architected myself into a corner in some ways but the files are all there should I want to go for an external solution.

Reminds me I rebuilt the server 6 months ago and need to get video replay off it working again. Me and newer debian releases don't get on but I didn't realise that until it was too late..

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I would like to get hold of a reliable music/audio player which supports various digital formats. My Raspberry Pi setup is not satisfactory. It needs a monitor, keyboard and mouse, and other similar music players need another device like a cell phone or another computer. I would like to have a standalone player with a screen and keyboard built in. The Raspberry Pi is becoming combersome as modern monitors are too big for such a purpose. A 10 inch screen is enough, but I found only 24 inch monitors.
There is the official 7 inch touch screen for Raspberry Pi. Should be lots of options for standalone (or USB output to DAC,etc) moode, volumio, etc. I use a touch screen with an RPI 4B as a Roon endpoint in my home office which works well. Finding RPI 4 right now is a bit of a challenge unless you are willing to spend a lot more than the normal retail price.

It is interesting to know what members of this forum use as music players.

I use a Raspberry Pi with a monitor and keyboard. The music is played through an IQAudIO card. I should think there are better options than this and sharing such knowledge should be beneficial to all forum members.
Cambridge CXN for the main system and Raspberry Pi with PiFi hat running Volumio for other

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Can't compete with the coque waving.
Sorry wasn't trying to boast, as I know music lovers can have vast collections, but trying to set scale. There are solutions that work really well for a few hundred albums that start to struggle at a few thousand. Then at some level higher than that very few solutions can handle it properly. So the type of solution does depend on the size of the problem...

Joined 2015
Paid Member
In my main rig I use Squeezebox and CD-player (optical) to Musical Fidelity DAC for digital, and a Rega Planar 3 w/ Ortofon MC 20 Supreme to Musical Fidelity RIAA for analog.
For the rest of the house I use Squeezeboxes with various old amps and speakers.
I would love to get a better DAC and RIAA some day, but I have kids, so the economy is just not there.

If anyone has a FET TEN/PC they want to get rid of, please send it to me. :LOL:

Joined 2016
Paid Member
The Cocktail X10 I use is basically a server linux box with a display, IR remote interface and a CD rom drive for ripping. The replay to optical link code works well as does the remote control and box LCD "basic" operation. Being linux it was easy to add some local db search and control fronted by a web interface, so now it's remote controlled /search etc by simple browser interface on any device on the lan.
Wiim mini is good for playing from Spotify. It should also be able to access all the files on the cocktail server, if I can get around to sorting permissions!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
How do you see multi-user? For example in JRiver more than one person can have access via the remote apps. And there can be multiple Zones - Simultaneously I can send different content to the TV, the HT receiver, the local computer, etc.
If you mean that each user sees a different interface with custom setting, libraries, playlists etc, I don't know. Never tried it. Interesting thought.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I meant more are these all 'man setups' rather than used by multiple family members? The tablet in the kitchen (blackberry playbook on a charging stand running kalemsoft music player) also replicated in the bedroom is a limited but very usable system. For me the main Hifi has been the problem as wife is unhappy to use it. Dunno if this is a common or rare use case?

Mind you I just had to move an album to where it should be the old skool way on a telnet session :D