What do members of diyAudio use as music players?

Hmm that could make it chewy with the size of music database I have... I tried it about 4 years ago on a very old phone and it wasn't really usable other than pause and play from the current playlist.
I know the feeling. I can't even use a database based music player - I have 1.4TB of music. Instead, I use file/folder and use the system to find my song. Sometimes, it's just easier to find it on Youtube though.

I'm compiling Clementine to give it a try again... Source didn't build so I'll use a binary.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
This is where gmpc is superb. I can search for things really easily (and they usually work). But it needs a linux laptop to be usable. I'll have another look at the web based clients. Last one I tried required a mouse to be useable as didn't map right click to anything you can do with your finger...

Of course wife would be happy with a bluetooth receiver off her phone. Any recommendations for ones with SPDIF output for not silly $$$?

Both at work and home: Core2Duo DDR3 PC, Winamp, Philips Powerhouse (Matsushita chips in output).

Powerhouse series was a sort of boom box, double cassette, tuner, and CD /Aux inputs. No attached speakers, that was not like a boom box in that sense.
I use them as amps, about 20 W/channel , and really good parts inside.
Philips speakers at home, 6"...and 8" local made speakers at work. Both have piezo tweeters.

Winamp is able to handle the 60 odd GB in my music collection, and most of the files are 320/ 48.1 bit rate resolution.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
For 13 years I've used JRiver Media Player on Windoze. Also tried it on Linux and MacOS. It's the best player I've found for large libraries, and it has some nice built in DSP that comes in handy. I ran a Logitech Squeezbox for a few years, but found it a bit limited.

Reactions: 1 users

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Raspberry Pi is becoming combersome as modern monitors are too big for such a purpose. A 10 inch screen is enough, but I found only 24 inch monitors.
???? The RaspPi market has monitors from wall-size to postage-stamp. A 7-inch is very common. A 3.5" fits on the Pi.
https://www.electronicshub.org/raspberry-pi-lcd-display-kits/
https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-screens
https://thepihut.com/collections/mi...-ips-240x240-lcd-display-hat-for-raspberry-pi

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Raspberry Pi 3B+ running Volumio -> HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro -> Benchmark DAC
-> DIY preamp -> Acoustat TNT-200 -> Acoustat Model 3

The Pi has attached SSDs containing lossless files; control is via any one
of the many iPads we have around the house. It's worked well for the length
of time we've had it--over three years

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
For 13 years I've used JRiver Media Player on Windoze. Also tried it on Linux and MacOS. It's the best player I've found for large libraries, and it has some nice built in DSP that comes in handy. I ran a Logitech Squeezbox for a few years, but found it a bit limited.
YES! I'm surprised that nobody else mentioned JRiver on this thread.

I have been using JRiver on a Windows laptop. It has an audio driver that you can "play" to from other apps, such as Chrome, iTunes, etc., and so there is no problem at all using pretty much any streaming service under the sun. It has a decent remote app for the phone or the iPad.

I perform room and speaker correction using the convolution engine within JRiver. In addition, it has all other usual DSP capabilities, such as delay, crossover, polarity, mixing channels, and a lot more. You can also try other plug-ins, such as mid-side EQ (which I use), PKHarmonic, and others.

It also has a neat "loopback" facility that I used to read from an ADC, do the speaker correction within JRiver, and then output to a DAC. This is how I run the turntable--Technics SP10 MKII->Pearl II Phono Preamp->RME ADI-2 Pro (used as an ADC here)->JRiver convolution-> RME ADI-2 Pro (DAC)-> out to preamp. That sounds complicated, but it works seamlessly and let's me enjoy both digital and analog sources without much hassle. Switching back and forth takes less than 10 seconds and the full speaker correction is in place.

• Thank You
Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2014
Paid Member
What you seem to want it a remote control for MPD? Check out MPDroid...
https://github.com/abarisain/dmix
Ok had some time this evening so went to install MPDroid on wife's phone (turns out before I'd tried DriodMPD which sucked). Anyway told it to sod right off when it asked for access to pictures and phone records it has no need of. It's Job is to connect to a remote server and play the music on my server. Anyway turned out we'd previously installed M.A.L.P on her phone so we tried that. It's clanky but does play music, just not the way 'I' want to do it. But maybe after a sleep it will make sense. Wife happy (for now) anyway.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
YES! I'm surprised that nobody else mentioned JRiver on this thread.
I downloaded a 30 day trial version last year. I really tried to like it but the workflow just doesn't gel with me and if I have trouble using it then the better half will be very grumpy.

Amazon fire 7" is £40. Almost tempted to just splurge on one of those as the dedicated MPD front end if I can find a client that doesn't annoy me too much

Ok had some time this evening so went to install MPDroid on wife's phone (turns out before I'd tried DriodMPD which sucked). Anyway told it to sod right off when it asked for access to pictures and phone records it has no need of. It's Job is to connect to a remote server and play the music on my server. Anyway turned out we'd previously installed M.A.L.P on her phone so we tried that. It's clanky but does play music, just not the way 'I' want to do it. But maybe after a sleep it will make sense. Wife happy (for now) anyway.
It needs access to "files and photos" because it makes a database and needs to write it somewhere... Why is everyone so damned paranoid?