What do members of diyAudio use as music players?

Primarily VLC player running on an Apple TV 4K to play audio/video over EtherNet from a Linux based OMV server. Digital audio is extracted from the Apple TVs HDMI output with a Comprehensive CPA-HDA3 (because the Samsung TV was causing drop-outs) and sent via Toslink to the system DAC.
VLC on the Apple TV has excellent performance, but it does have a very simple interface with just files / folders and no album artwork. This is OK with me but I imagine others may want more graphics and organizational tools.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Interesting discussion, and might help me with my dilemma. In the main system I use mpd off the server and run gmpc on an old linux laptop. All good bar the clankyness of booting up a laptop but I have yet to find a client that works on phone or tablet for me.

Interesting discussion, and might help me with my dilemma. In the main system I use mpd off the server and run gmpc on an old linux laptop. All good bar the clankyness of booting up a laptop but I have yet to find a client that works on phone or tablet for me.
On Android, I use Poweramp. My complaint with Android now is that I can't mount a network filesystem. I just want to connect SFTP as a drive and play music through SSH. Without root, I can't do it. Poweramp will play from a Samba share though, but I could use SFTP over SSH from anywhere without the need for a VPN.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
@pdul, so I am I, but have got used to having access to a library of thousands of albums off a tablet in the kitchen and want that in the living room as well, but in best fidelity.
What you seem to want it a remote control for MPD? Check out MPDroid...
https://github.com/abarisain/dmix
Last time I looked that was all playlist based and didn't seem up to the job of trawling a decent collection. I might be wrong.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hardware:
Analogue: SL1200mk2 x2, Ortofon 'concorde' MM cart ( nightclub/dj/pro), SL10 with 310mc or Ortofon Om40 mm. Akai 4000DSmk2 reel to reel, Pionneer CTF700 cassette player.
Cd: Tascam CD01U pro, Sony entry level dvd player ( both used as transport only, Tascam routed to pc aes input, Sony ( as well as tv) to Smsl Sanskrit for secondary analog chain).

Software:
Tv for radio,
Vlc as player into pc.
I only listen to whole album, no playlist for me.

@pdul, so I am I, but have got used to having access to a library of thousands of albums off a tablet in the kitchen and want that in the living room as well, but in best fidelity.

Last time I looked that was all playlist based and didn't seem up to the job of trawling a decent collection. I might be wrong.
"
MPDroid is a MPD client for Android. It is a fork of PMix.

You can browse your library, control the current song and playlist, manage your outputs, and stream music right to your mobile device. And all of this wrapped up in a beautiful modern Holo design!

What's not to like?"

Caveat:
"
New features will most likely be delayed. MPDroid is, in my opinion, almost fully-featured and pushes (hits) MPD's API limits. Widely requested features (like better search, better library browsing) can't be done without duplicating MPD's database locally. This is a huge project, and it will take a lot of time (if ever done).

Also, MPDroid's speed isn't that great, but considering that MPD's API was never made for 3G (read crappy) connections, it is also not that bad.

"

Raspberry Pi running Volumio being fed from iMac running Audirvana for Qobuz. Wifi/DLNA to connect the two. DAC is Topping E30 on the main system, Allo Boss on a separate Pi for the computer system, and Hifiberry Dac+ Pro on the kitchen system. Also have a MacBook running Audirvana, and any phone can also connect through either Airplay or DLNA depending on type. Max flexibility. No NAS or any other locally stored music. Why bother? Qobuz has more than enough to keep me listening.

I'm not running the latest Volumio because I couldn't get it to work with DLNA, and the Qobuz native interface was lacking.

All that and my trusty Rega Planar 3 with Grace tonearm and Ortofon Quintet Blue MC cartridge. All tweaked out to be dead quiet and dead steady speed. Speaking of which I need to replace the special compliance bands that hold the motor off the plinth. The best sounding rubber bands come from the USPS and hold the mail together!

I am old fashioned.
Me too. I have an Oppo BDP-103 for cd's, and a Dual CS 5000 for vinyl. If I want to settle for lower-fi background music without the hassle of changing albums, cable tv has a line-up of several music channels.

Several folks that I know use a tablet or small laptop with some form of Raspberry Pi setup with JRiver, etc. Some day, I'll take the plunge and do something along those lines.

Nice to get ideas on this thread. Keep them coming.

I used to stream Qobuz over Logitech Media Server on Odroid C2 to clients like Squeezebox Touch, Squeezebox Duet and RPi's with digital hats. The clients deliver the data to each system's DAC.
Recently I picked a used Bluesound Node 2 up at a good price and I found that with the Node I had fewer dropouts / skips when playing albums from Qobuz than with LMS.
So I moved the Node 2 into my main system, other rooms in the house are still LMS based.
For LMS I use Ipeng, for the Node 2 I use Bluesounds App. User interfaces for both setups are comparable, no clear winner or loser there.
My listening is 50% streaming local radio stations, 48% streaming albums from Qobuz, 2% listening to albums from my own local library.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Widely requested features (like better search, better library browsing) can't be done without duplicating MPD's database locally. This is a huge project, and it will take a lot of time (if ever done).
Hmm that could make it chewy with the size of music database I have... I tried it about 4 years ago on a very old phone and it wasn't really usable other than pause and play from the current playlist.

I have two primary sources. I use iTunes on an iMac to feed lossless files or apple music to my endpoints. Or I use an Intel NUC (using rock) to hold all my music which is served up using roon. I also use Qobuz through that system. My endpoints are two homepods, an airport express feeding an ancient tripath amp to some built-in speakers in the sunroom. My main systems use a Naim Uniti Atom as my endpoint and amp which feeds a set of quad 2912's. My second system uses a raspberry pi running ropieee which is connected to a benchmark dac3 via usb, that feeds a benchmark ahb2 amp which feeds a set of quad 2805's.

Sheldon