What did you last repair?

Hi,
Nope, I wanted to see your extremely short cable!

-Chris

Oh!(?) I bought the switch used so it came without all the little installation bits like the short cable.

Attachments

• IMG_20191012_140809359.jpg
    IMG_20191012_140809359.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 136
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Interesting discussion about recapping. I suppose I bought into the hype, thinking that all vintage gear needed a recap. I did a few recaps, mostly vintage tube and old SS amps. Gotta say it didn't make much, if any, difference. There were a few where the caps (even ceramic) were obviously bad and the problem was fixed.

My limited experienced has been that if there aren't any problems, recapping doesn't do a thing. I always hoped it would, but it didn't. :xeye:

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Interesting discussion about recapping. I suppose I bought into the hype, thinking that all vintage gear needed a recap. I did a few recaps, mostly vintage tube and old SS amps. Gotta say it didn't make much, if any, difference. There were a few where the caps (even ceramic) were obviously bad and the problem was fixed.

My limited experienced has been that if there aren't any problems, recapping doesn't do a thing. I always hoped it would, but it didn't. :xeye:

That's the trouble with the internet......
People get on there and believe everything they read/see.
They've got no way to justify "the hype" compared to "real world" situations.
Even those YouBoob videos are potentially misleading.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Pano,
Recapping only helps when it fixes problems. We do have better capacitors these days, but it is the application that determines what - if any, changes occur. We do have some better capacitor types for specific places in an amplifier, so that is a valid reason to replace those capacitors. But there are good ceramic capacitors. Normally the ones with a black stripe on the top surface are the good type (NP0 / C0G). May as well leave those because it is easy to install a worse performing capacitor.

Some brands used pretty poor capacitors (Pioneer & others) who I won't name ... doing a recap on those can really boost performance. :)

Lower value electrolytic capacitors are the most likely ones that need replacement. When installing new capacitors, it is important not to bend the leads where they go through the rubber seal like everyone does. Did I say seal? Why, yes I did. Spreading the leads apart can rip the bond between the lead and seal, or ti can happen in the future just sitting there. So when you bend the leads, hold the lead between the bend and capacitor body. This takes time, which is exactly why most capacitor cowboys will not do it. It is unfortunate that most technicians have never been taught this either. So, the rule is, always form the leads to fit the holes, and always support the lead between the bend and capacitor body. Simple.

-Chris

Time stamps on your recent two posts does suggest an extended accidental visit. Hey, most of us have been there once. ;)
Nah, at my age I probably just dozed off for awhile... :rolleyes:

(I'm really more of a YouLeg man anyway.)

Oh but hey! After weeks (months?) of half-hearted screwing around, I finally switched from the no-longer-developed MPC-HC (Media Player Classic Home Cinema) to the apparently-still-breathing MPC-BE, and now my PC plays UHD (4K) video with proper color saturation! Does that count as a repair??

No?

<ahem> Okay, I'll just be over here then.

32" TV from our caravan.
No sign of life.
Checked 5V standby power was working.
Found power schematic online so sussed which pin activated power supply - all voltages correct.
Ribbon cable socket had lifted a couple of pins from the switch pcb (standby switch & ground).
Resoldered & now seems to work ok.
With my limited knowledge, anything more complicated I couldn't have fixed it.