What did you last repair?

I bought a cheap DVR off Amazon a year or so ago, and didn't get around to hooking it up until two months ago. It is in the bedroom with a small tv.

So after two months of operation it quit. Out of warranty so I opened it up and found the output cap in the line operated switcher was swollen. 1000uf at 10V. The closest value I had on hand was 470uF at 16V.

Unit is now working fine.

I had a controller on my previous (23 year old) heat pump quit defrosting. I pulled the controller board and replaced a 100uF cap in what appeared to be the defrost circuit and it started working again.

Caps do go bad, but when they do they are usually bulging and get warm.

Planned Obsolescence!

Did anyone ever found themselves with their 'hands bound behind their backs' because of planned obsolescence? Some equipment may seem repairable at first, but then, something like a firmware upgrade, puts a 'rude' halt to your repair expectations.

At the moment, I have a simple DVR which seems to need a firmware update, but connecting it to the internet to download one, results in the DVR's OS reporting no such firmware exists!

Several years ago, I read that some motherboard manufacturers, produce BIOS settings for inexistent features to market their low quality products. Is this time, the same thing happening, but with a DVR?

In software the symptom of having continuous beeps, and a dialoge box animating the search for monitor settings, is easily implementable. Is this some kind of 'under the belt blow'?

Last edited:
Repairing PSU on CJ PV-1

I'm an infrequenting member of diyaudio.

I needed some relief from the intense daily demonstrations out there in here. So last week I did the SS PSU caps on my Conrad Johnson PV-1 coz last stored up in 2017, it had some slight 100 Hz hum so I guessed it was the voltage doubling caps playing up.

I unsoldered the 4 big cylinder caps from the PSU board, and used modern paper caps with upped capacitances and voltage instead, giving up the aesthetic idea abt "re-stuffing" them.

So when repaired, I took a listen on my Coral X-Five speakers amp'ed by Nikko Alpha 440 and later EICO HF60. Immediately the PV-1 seemed to have become something "ELSE" which I had never found it was. I even thought it surpassed my ARC SP-3 in clarity and separation/detail. But my Nak CA-7 is always the untold gem to me.

Oh yea, despite that pre-condition that this job was aimed to make it sell, I now would like to keep this PV-1 for its robustness and performance.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi edbarx,
A Standard Poodle generally reaches 50 ~ 70 pounds full grown, they are fast and very powerful - plus smart. Their jaws are slightly more powerful than a Doberman we had years ago. I forgot to mention how flexible they are. That means they pull moves you would not expect were possible. Our current Poodle is one year and two months old. He has already caught and ate a bird. So, really, really fast. They also pull like a sled dog (they were used as sled dogs for a race up north and were banned from taking part in future races because they were surprisingly good a pulling those sleds). All this and they make excellent family pets as long as they don't outsmart you. This one is #4 four for our family and I just love the breed. They can be real stinkers too and they do have a sense of humor. They are also very easy to train.

Not the kind of animal you want to run into if you're breaking in or attacking a family member! I was half joking when I said we use the dog to screen customers, but when he actually signals that he doesn't like one, I'll take extra precautions when dealing with them. This has paid off occasionally. I think almost any dog is good at this..

-Chris

edbarx,

I hate planned obsolescense too!

Are you sure about the firmware thing? I have found the name brands always make firmware available, but of course do things like take superceded versions offline, or force you to do updates by some method less convenient, like disc or cable. My experience is not huge, but Google always seems to lead me to firmware I need.

Are you referring to BIOS with white lists? Yes, that is an outrageous example of planned obsolescence. Luckily I've never owned a computer with a white list.

anatech said:
Hi edbarx,
A Standard Poodle generally reaches 50 ~ 70 pounds full grown, they are fast and very powerful - plus smart.

-Chris
I did not know Poodles could grow to that weight, my impression was that these dogs grew to a weight between 5kg and 10kg.

A well trained 70 pound dog should be quite strong: I would not dare to challenge a dog like that.

Those are "Toy" or "miniature" breeds.

Many "AKC" or "CKC" recognized breeds come in various sizes including "Full", "miniature", "Toy" and "Teacup".

The smaller the breed , the more inbreeding an greater chance of genetic issues.

Although even full size breeds have issues.

For instance, Collies are known for hip displasia.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
We had a King Poodle that was larger and faster. He could also catch birds and was reasonably good at not harming them.

These dogs are deep chested. The only dog I have seen run faster than a Poodle yet has been a Whippet, and they are quick! We normally have had our Poodles in pairs. That really adds up to a burglar having a very bad night! As for jumping, our 6' rear fence is really only a suggestion. If these dogs really wanted out, they would clear that fence without any issues.

Having mentioned that they are deep chested dogs, this means they are vulnerable to blot. Two of our dogs came down with bloat, we lost one and the other was young enough to survive. At least I got the last one to the hospital in time for them to make him comfortable and save his life. Then they told us about the $3,600 surgery that we didn't have and we had to put him down. That kills me to even think about.

Here are a few pictures of some of our dogs. Remy, Mr. Darcy and finally Sterling. Sterling is a "Silver Poodle" and just about a year old in the photos of him. He is the smallest Standard Poodle we have ever had.

One last thing about a Poodle. They are far more interactive than any other dog I have come across. They become a member of the family in every sense of the word. They can be a real a*s*s (because they are so smart and they get bored). I hat eto say it, but if you think your current non-Poodle is interactive, wait until you share your life with one (or more) of these guys. Now, why do I refer to more than one? Because, as a pair they entertain themselves. As a single dog, you are their only source of live entertainment. They prefer their entertainment live. That means you are busy, and they do require two or more walk per day. It is next to impossible to tire these guys out for very long. I would really hate to present a threat to a bored Poodle.

-Chris

Attachments

• DSCN2781.JPG
    DSCN2781.JPG
    642.1 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCN58151.JPG
    DSCN58151.JPG
    643.6 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN6171.JPG
    DSCN6171.JPG
    585 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN3402.jpg
    DSCN3402.jpg
    580.7 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCN6785.jpg
    DSCN6785.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 153
Chris, do you need to worry about aggressive behaviour from your standards to other breeds or small active children when out on walkies? We’ve had several reports over the past few months of unprovoked attacks by pitt bulls, dobes and other such breeds against smaller pets and toddlers - some so severe to require the attacked pet to be put down, and children or protecting parents to require substantial corrective surgery. In the most egregious cases, particularly those caught on phone videos, the owners of aggressors have volunteered them for euthanization, others have taken by the authorities only after public outcry. Social media is not entirely without merit.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Chris,
No, but all our dogs were well socialized with people and other dogs. Any dog can startle and bite. One of ours mouthed a passing little girl on a bike that ran right past us. So part of the deal is that parents have to teach kids not to approach unknown animals for starters, and not to startle them. None of this should be a shock to anyone who actually thinks about this. Our parents are the ones that need to teach safety to their young. This rates up there with not playing near streams, rivers and lakes. Same for swimming pools. Animals just do what they do, and if you startle them, don't be surprised if you aren't bit.

By the same token, owners should have their dogs under control and not running free. Your dog can still bite if frightened, but that is out of your control. IF you have a dog that bites, muzzle it.

About the worst thing you can do is keep a dog inside, not meeting other dogs and people and not taking them for walks. The dog needs a walk at least. Mine needs two a day, and plenty others do as well. If you don't, a lot of pent up energy will be released the first chance a dog gets to do so.

Poodles are naturally even tempered and unlikely to bite once they are a couple years old. Every dog is learning as a puppy. The very worst dogs for biting and attacking other animals are the small ones that get carried around. They never get the chance to be a dog and tend to be afraid of everything, or simply too excitable..

-Chris