What did you last repair?

Yes, Kenwood and Onkyo had the best tuners.
Just these days I found an old and first or one of the first Kenwood solid-state tuners, model TK-350. In excellent working conditions.
We'll see what's inside when I open it.

BTW, today Kenwood-TK350 is known as a hand UHF ham radio transceiver ;)

Attachments

• TK-350.jpg
    TK-350.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 164
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Sheero,
Well, you have an excellent piece of equipment for starters. The design is quite advanced as well, plus it is mostly surface mount technology. Cyrus doesn't release service information and never has - for good reason. Most technicians do not possess the dept of knowledge required of this brand, and many will not use adequate care in performing the work.

I was authorized warranty for Canada before I got really sick for a couple years. What I would get in from others attempting to service these was often a disaster. It was quite clear these folks didn't understand amplifiers in general, and especially these products. I did get a few so badly damaged they could not be repaired without replacing the main PCB. This is all workmanship issues. Those that did clean work didn't understand how they worked. So with widespread destruction of their products, much like Carver, the decided (properly) that service would be restricted to those shops they had approved for warranty service only. I also did Carver warranty service and am used to being screamed and swore at because I couldn't release service information. I was bound by my word, and an NDA contract.

I would recommend you return your amplifier to the authorized warranty depot closest to you, or to the factory where it will be returned to a reliable as new condition. To have someone else attempt to service it would be to condemn the unit to the scrap pile. You really do have an advanced piece of audio equipment.

They stress that you shouldn't touch the speaker connections unless the unit is unplugged (or just off). I would say the same applies to the signal and remote connections as you might disturb the speaker connections. The same damage can occur if you move the speakers while the unit is running. If you have solid connections, you shouldn't have any problems, but an accident can always happen. Blowing equipment up happens with all makes of stereo amplifiers from moving things when the power is on.

Sorry, I know you don't like my answer, but it is the truth and I have seen the evidence to back it up.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Chris,
Is there still sufficient terrestrial FM broadcasting in your area to justify that?
Yes, the dial is jammed full of radio stations here. I have several tuners, my best one is Revox B-261. FM is a great source of music and even the ads are sometimes helpful. Not often, but sometimes.

This particular tuner looks really cool, and it sounds nice. If they shut down the FM stations, I'll transmit my own stations for them. AM is also alive and well here. Between AM and FM you can find literally any type of programming you might desire. We are lucky here to still have a strong FM band.

Through alignment, I have this tuner delivering a little lower than 0.1% THD in mono. I suspect I can get it down even further with my planned upgrades. I'm starting right at the detector and moving towards the output following the audio path. It came with the original box too!

-Chris

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
..............Dexron ATF.

My neighbor is going to try ATF in his Hudson.

1940s-1950s Hudsons, manual shift, still used a "cork clutch". Much like the now-common disk clutch, except instead of an asbestos-blend surface they still used cork inserts, a technology known from the 1880s for smooth engagement. His old one was worn down to the metal. The new one he got looks like a wine-drinker's trash: metal disk with 1/2" holes and cork disks shoved in. Not even nice cork.

Anyway this technique use oil (only 6 ounces, a splash not a bath) to smooth engagement. He had three cans of genuine vintage 1950 Hudson clutch juice, but he got four Hudsons through this year, so what to do? He was thinking ATF, and I think he's probably right. (However the consensus is that you can buy cloned Hudsonite for $9, so why fool around?)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Chris,
I've seen them, but never had the desire to work on one. After working on the B&O linear tracking P.O.S., a repeat of anything even close to it was unpalatable. Same for the Nakamichi Dragon TT. Another thanks, but no thanks. I'm perfectly happy working on Thorens and the odd whatever else that isn't linear tracking.

-Chris

Hi Chris,
I've seen them, but never had the desire to work on one. After working on the B&O linear tracking P.O.S., a repeat of anything even close to it was unpalatable. Same for the Nakamichi Dragon TT. Another thanks, but no thanks. I'm perfectly happy working on Thorens and the odd whatever else that isn't linear tracking.

-Chris

I've been repairing a few Pioneer and Yamaha linear trackers...so much fun:rolleyes: but customers have deep pockets so I don't mind

Account Closed
Joined 2018
In discussing about Linear Tracking Turntables...
A lot of people seem to gravitate to machines that suit their superficial senses - the fancier, the better.
That's their business and obligation of course.
However, I am more interested in enjoying my records for their fundamental reason - the music.
And yes, I am "fussy" about what comes out of my speakers and system, I don't want hums, noises, etc., to impede "the experience".

After owning, servicing, and listening to hundreds of "vinyl disk players", and a multitude of cartridges on them, I've settled down with a Kenwood Direct Drive Linear Turntable with an Audio Technica cartridge.
Yes, a lowly, somewhat "plain" 1986-era model KD66F.
Serviced, re-capped, this turntable plays records flawlessly, and is utterly silent and stable in its operation.
Absolutely no platter spindle noise, no indication of the minute tonearm movement mechanism, and allows the P-mount AT elliptical to do its job with extrordinary accuracy.
I guarentee anyone blindfolded, hearing a record on this machine could not know if it costs a thousand dollars or 100.
All that "hype" over turntables is merely driven, biased opinions and nonsense - "the more expensive, the better" - is just BS.
I don't need "flashy" or some insane reason to enjoy the music.
I don't stare at the machine like it's some kind of amazing "god".
I don't care about obsessing over "vertical tracking angles" and all that goony obsessions.
This lowly Kenwood does its job nicely.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi wiseoldtech,
Hmm, we'll agree to strongly disagree then. The difference between the Thoren TD-125 MKII and TD-126 MKII to the great majority of other turntables is not minor. It is shocking how much lower the bearing noise is on these (the motor noise is even further down). The Linn tables also do this right. I wish I could afford one of the new tables from Thorens. Similar things are said (properly) about cartridges. I have an Ortofon 540 MKII cartridge right now. It totally outclassed my Ortofon VMS-30E MKII. Until that point in time I was very happy with the VMS30E cartridge. I'd once again love to have a current Ortofon Black. Surely others will have their favorite cartridges, but they will be more expensive still. With performance at these levels you need an absolutely top notch preamp for the phono. Mine is a Marantz SC-9, and it is wonderful. The best I have heard yet. I've made changes to both the preamplifier and Marantz 300DC amplifier to make measurable differences. I guess must be slumming with my speakers which are PSB Stratus Gold, the original ones (don't care for the next model at all!).

You can be perfectly happy with the equipment you have, and that's fine. But for some of us, we can hear the difference between good equipment and stuff that is better. I can assure you that many of us could hear the difference between what you have and what they consider to be a better system. Maybe not within seconds, but certainly over the longer term.

What I will say that often more money past a certain point may even see performance falling as the price rises. Once they have a good design, the push for a "statement piece" leads to degraded performance as they try to spend more money, looking for places to spend it.

Finally, if the cartridge is not aligned properly, you will hear a difference. Even the measured performance will greatly suffer when the alignment is off. Believe me, you will hear this unless there are enough problems with your system.

-Chris

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Ah, Chris, disagreements aside, as I stated in my post, I've "been there" with many turntables, and a plethora of cartridges.
I've had the chance to bring home turntables, as well as audio equipment, to audition when I worked in various "audio salons", as well as when I was in the repair shops.
Most people don't have that luxury, particularly in today's market.

I do agree with you on the law of diminishing returns.....
Once you get to a certain perfomance level, the added costs are simply a waste of money.
In reality, that "performance level" - the "ultimate", perhaps human limit of sensing any improvements, is attainable in some products far below the "high-end" tier level that are ignored by purists and their followers obviously because these "lowly products" don't have the glitz and glitter, reputation, and "rave reviews" that high-end does.

The "bragging rights" and focus on such things as rotational silence and speed stability, along with critical tonearm/cartridge geometry is what most people gravitate to.
And yes, these are important details for sure - to a point.
Utter silence, freedom from resonance, perfect pitch - is all what people strive for.
And yet, that Kenwood of mine does that, and quite nicely.
With less than 0.2 degrees of "out of tangent" cartridge alignment throughout the entire record....(no traditional pivoting arm can match linear design in that way)

With about 0.025 percent of wow/flutter due to it's well-designed DD motor system.... (seems that a lot of turntables costing way more are 5 to 10+ times higher in that department)

Imperceptable rumble due to its finely machined spindle assembly....
(Spinning the platter up to 300 RPM results in absolute silence with perfect balance)

For sure, it's not a stunning, eye-catching piece to look at, but as I said before, I'm only interested in the music it can produce - besides, it's hidden behind a smoked glass door in my entertainment cabinet.
I've even adapted/modded it to respond to remote control. (play/stop/cue/pause)
I don't know exactly who designed this unit, but the exacting care it seems to be built with was done with "high end" in mind, yet at a price point only seen in those "big box" stores.
Perhaps, being "mass produced", I must have gotten "a good one" off the assembly line, who knows!
When the customer plunked it down on my shop counter and said "If you can fix it, you can have it".
He must not have been satisfied because of the draw to something else.
Maybe a Thorens........LOL!

Hi wiseoldtech,
Hmm, we'll agree to strongly disagree then. The difference between the Thoren TD-125 MKII and TD-126 MKII to the great majority of other turntables is not minor. It is shocking how much lower the bearing noise is on these (the motor noise is even further down). The Linn tables also do this right.

-Chris

I have a TD 124/II, a TD125/II and the original Linn (Ariston RDII) gathering dust in my basement and none of em sound as quiet as my $10 Sony CD thrift store purchase.

I have a TD 124/II, a TD125/II and the original Linn (Ariston RDII) gathering dust in my basement and none of em sound as quiet as my $10 Sony CD thrift store purchase.

LOL

I'm running a Toshiba SR-255 that I recapped (including the motor controller) that I bought for 100$. Combined with an old Pickering XV-15 with a "vivid line" stylus, it's the best value for the money I've seen in a very long time.

I too have a CD player. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I just rip a CD on the computer and play it from there. I haven't had to do this in years though. The CD is dead unless you want to borrow music from the library and even then they offer streaming services now.

The only problem with vinyl is the cost. I can get the FLAC of a song I like for $1.50. I can buy the 12" of it for $15.99... It's still worth it if you like the music enough though but who's got the money anymore?