What did you last repair?

I just replaced the LEDs bulbs in an antique French art nuveau lamp with B22 sockets. I had ordered Philips filament style B22 golf ball bulbs a few years ago from the UK, three of which started blinking and then staying dead within a few weeks of each other. That model is no longer made, and I don't think there are any B22 golf balls from reputable manufacturers left, and shipping and tax from the UK has become expensive after brexit.

Turns out that GU10 LED bulbs can be modded within seconds: snip off the contacts, leving just the pads. Drill a hole through the case at 90° to the contacts, make sure you have stayed clear of any wires and stick a shortened toothpick trough the hole. Voilà your newly minted B22 bulb.

I retrofitted an earth wire to the lamp years ago, otherwise I would advise only using plastic or glass rods for this mod.

Has B22 gone out of style?
In Europe, B22 was only ever used in the UK and France, maybe Greece also. I usually get to go to France quite often and used to haul B22 incandescent lamps every time. LED B22 were slow to catch on there and are fading again from supermarked shelves, especially the smaller golfball from factor. I ordered the Philips one from amazon uk, but they are no longer listed.

We get small lamps up to 3 watts or so in LED, good for passage lights and so on.

Electronic waste on the beach is not a joke...
We had factories making 250k CFL daily, that means sooner or later 250k to dispose of daily, and those were glass tubes with mercury inside. LED is much safer.

Of course, I wonder at the need for LED indicators in greeting cards and pregnancy kits, it is as if the sellers were not worried about the issue of safe disposal. Just something new to achieve sales.

OK. I was so used to seeing B22 in France and the UK that they felt like the default.
I once saw one on the beach in Mexico, which made me wonder.
Could also have floated down from the US. I am not sure if it is really B22 form factor they use, but it certainly looks similar. There are lamps with a rotary or cyclical switch to set three different intensities. They do this with two filament bayonet light bulbs, by using the case of the bayonet as a contact (which is never done in Europe), so you can run one or the other or both filaments.

I never saw B22 bayonet used in the US. I wondered if maybe it floated north from South America.
They show up here and there. We have a lamp that uses a B22 to illuminate the interior of the lamp. My wife was out with my sister and they found it somewhere (antique mall I think.) It had a working incandescent B22, but it made the lamp too hot to touch. So I ordered an LED B22 online.

I put a new lithium battery in my old TI scientific calculator.
Had to expand the slot but I got one to fit and now I can calculate and talk on the phone at the same time.
Cool. The lithium should work well. I have an LCD Casio desktop that I use for most of my work. I don't like using my phone either as I tend to fat finger it. The Windows calculators are nice too.

Today I was called to a customer who had an annoying noise problem around his home studio that made it impossible to do any recording. He told me on the phone that it was worst with single coil p.u. and the expensive mains filter could not fix the problem at all. I assumed a magnetic field interference caused by some loop in the electric installation. So I soldered a small 47mH inductor to a guitar cable, plugged this into my tiny battery amp and set it to max gain using its high gain distortion channel. With this "sniffer" we checked the cellar and finally landed in the garden where the noise was all around. It turned out there was an electric power loop layed around the hole garden and the noise source was the pond pump. Removing it from mains solved the problem immediately. Talking more about this I learned the noise problem has been around for about 2 yrs - since the installation of the pump.

Resuming this is a quick and dirty work-around and next summer the problem with the pump has to be fixed. Personally I do not have a clue what makes this pump generate excessive noise on the power grid. Nonetheless the customer is happy now being able to proceed with recordings.
This was the - totally uncalibrated - h-field sniffer:

Attachments

• IMG_20220121_231313676.jpg
    IMG_20220121_231313676.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 66