"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I made one : Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier , post #4704

Have a Nephew moving to States in few days ,he was there for a year or so and succeeded in complicating own life , falling in love in Florida

So , I promised to make him head-amp to bring with him.

'nuff said , except - Kudos and Thank You - to Wayne , straightforward and easy , of course that you can't expect anything else from Funny Firm

My build is , in fact , pretty much quick'n'dirty approach - changes on the fly .... somewhere smaller caps , somewhere larger caps, regs ditto to 15V (Donut is dual primary wired for 115Vac , but secs are nominally 15Vac) , pot is clickety 220Klin jobbie , shunted with 33K so pretty nice log law with precise channel balance ... old heatsinks , raw case etc.

sound is good , everything stable , no problems

I guess it's too late to edit the last message, but for the LED on the front, just in case anyone needs one, I ran off the 22V AC secondary and used a couple of spare parts to rectify/protect the LED. D1 can be any of the 1N400X series ... I happened to have a UF4004 laying around. There's probably easier ways of doing this but I'm used to tube amps where I just pull the AC off one of the heaters. The schematic is modified from a Classic Valve design.

Sorry for being dumb but I'm guessing we need an LED that's around 22 volts right? Or am I missing something? Would love to use my Ice blue pastel LED but it's only around 3 volts.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
LED's are current driven rather than voltage driven. 3 volts will be the forward voltage when its conducting, in other words the voltage you might measure across the LED. Nver run an LED from a voltage source directly.

So your blue LED will fine with that circuit although it may be much to bright with a 1k8 series resistor... if so fit something higher, maybe a lot higher such as 10k or 22k.

LED's are current driven rather than voltage driven. 3 volts will be the forward voltage when its conducting, in other words the voltage you might measure across the LED. Nver run an LED from a voltage source directly.

So your blue LED will fine with that circuit although it may be much to bright with a 1k8 series resistor... if so fit something higher, maybe a lot higher such as 10k or 22k.

Ahhh yes thank you that makes more sense to me now. Sorry my electronics principles are a little rusty, think I need to do some brushing up. :)

I have seen some excellent builds of this amp which is making me even more eager to build mine when the board finally arrives.

Can anyone who built theirs using the stock hammond enclose tell me if the volume pot is vertically centred through the front face plate then board mounted or will I have to mount it off the board to get the positioning right?

I have seen some excellent builds of this amp which is making me even more eager to build mine when the board finally arrives.

Can anyone who built theirs using the stock hammond enclose tell me if the volume pot is vertically centred through the front face plate then board mounted or will I have to mount it off the board to get the positioning right?

I board-mounted the BOM Alps pot and drilled the Hammond front plate after marking where the shaft made contact with the front plate. Not sure it's formally vertically centered, but it's where it needs to be and looks/works perfectly!

BK

Hi guys one last question, looks like the board I purchased may be lost in the post and not heard anything back from the store so I managed to find an early set of gerber files without the 2 resistors near the pot and wondered if anyone knew the pcb type, thickness, layers etc to use so I can get some made. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you. :)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Missing Inputresistor in Available Gerbers

I have been using this amp with boards I had ordered some time ago. I just soldered the resistors directly onto the input rca sockets with a short lead - place heatshrink over it and solder the cable to the other side of the resistor. Works like a charm. So no need to modify the Gerbers - at least in my eyes.

Cheers, Ernst

What about my situation?
I use clone note LDR so I don’t include a pot after the input resistors(2.2kR);
Also I tried once direct coupling so there is no 1uF capacitors.
Now what’s left in the path is 2K2 and 1K resistors in series before the op amp.
It does not smoke or explode or anything. It sounds great.
Is this setup safe?
How about a single 3K2 resistor instead of 2 resistors in series?
I am just curious.