"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

Which one?

The same one these guys are asking about. I found their questions trying to search for the info we are all curious about.

@Jason, JW if you could provide those interested in the chassis any updates on ETA? :)

It sounds like the pandemic may have caused some delays with shipping and production?

Hi everyone ,

I was going to post the exact same question reguarding the ETA on the whammy chassis. I know it’s been in the works for a while. Reading back earlier in the thread I think I remember 6l6 mentioning it was in the works and they weren’t rushing it. So I was curious about a eta on it as well?

@jason also I was curious about the eta on future parts kits for the whammy. Any ideas when or if they will be restocked?

Thanks,
Brandon

Ok...found it: WHAMMY Chassis pics

6L6 said "Preorders will be arranged soon". It would be kind of nice to know what "soon" means. I have two WHAMMY amps built that need enclosures and I'm trying to wait.

Last edited:
some help !

Hello,
so, I started to stuff the circuit and I stopped at the power part as planned and luckily because I blown two resistors.
I am almost sure of the reason, but I would like to have confirmation of it. The resistors that have burned out are R38 and R21 and I think it is because of the scratch I made on the circuit board. My soldering iron slipped and this is the result.

View attachment 973046

View attachment 973047
If it is because of that what should I do, change the PCB?
do I have to check, too, the capacitors and diodes? (by the way if someone can explain to me how)
small precision, Snubber capacitor C20 0.22uf 275v 4700uf 35v for crcrc and for regulators,
SIGMA78 Regulateur de Tension LDO Faible Bruit +15V - Audiophonics
SIGMA79 Regulateur de Tension LDO Faible Bruit -15V - Audiophonics

I try again

Pictures :

Attachments

• IMG_0615.JPEG
    IMG_0615.JPEG
    741.1 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0616.JPEG
    IMG_0616.JPEG
    470.1 KB · Views: 234
Joined 2018
Paid Member
The same one these guys are asking about. I found their questions trying to search for the info we are all curious about.

Ok...found it: WHAMMY Chassis pics

6L6 said "Preorders will be arranged soon". It would be kind of nice to know what "soon" means. I have two WHAMMY amps built that need enclosures and I'm trying to wait.

Is there a way to grab Jason's attention for a brief update on this? Seems you can't DM the site admin. :Popworm:

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I switched DMs off a long time ago as I would get flooded with messages and they would not get answered in an appropriate amount of time. If anyone would like to get in touch with me please email the forum or store helpdesks (contact@diyaudio.com and contact@diyaudiostore.com, respectively).

The WHAMMY chassis are presently crossing the atlantic ocean. I'd expect them to be available for shipping in a month or so.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I switched DMs off a long time ago as I would get flooded with messages and they would not get answered in an appropriate amount of time. If anyone would like to get in touch with me please email the forum or store helpdesks (contact@diyaudio.com and contact@diyaudiostore.com, respectively).

The WHAMMY chassis are presently crossing the atlantic ocean. I'd expect them to be available for shipping in a month or so.

You're too popular! ;) I figured that was the case.

Thanks for the update! Really looking forward finishing a few Whammys. My brothers have been waiting patiently for a few years now lol whoops.

Awesome!!! Thanks for the update :D

it works

Hi,
I wanted to thank Rikiheck and Jermnz again because thanks to them my psu works.
Like a perfect beginner idiot I had put 3 diodes upside down and resistors not suitable for the CRC.
I would pay more attention to the rest. The new test went well and the measurements are correct. :D
I even started to fill in the rest :)

I just plug em into my Mega328 component tester and hit the button. Presto, the display tells me which lead is (+) and which is (-). The Mega328 is also quite useful to get the correct pinout of 3-terminal BJTs, JFETs, and MOSFETs. And it'll measure resistance and also capacitance, when the color bands are ambiguous or the printed values are small & confusing.

I love that thing since I've gotten it. I've not blown up any jfets since by putting them in backwards! :)

--Tom

_

Hi,
I wanted to thank Rikiheck and Jermnz again because thanks to them my psu works.
Like a perfect beginner idiot I had put 3 diodes upside down and resistors not suitable for the CRC.
I would pay more attention to the rest. The new test went well and the measurements are correct. :D
I even started to fill in the rest :)

Step 1 done then! Good luck with the rest. I can assure you that you'll find it worth the effort. It's no exaggeration to say that the Whammy competes admirably with the best headphone amps out there.

to funhouse1 #3934

Hello funhouse1,

your efforts will not be dissappointed! Doublecheck each step / part you are soldering on to the pcb.
If you will listen to the first tracks all 'pain' will be forgotten.... :rolleyes:
Wayne Colburn gave us a fantastic headphoneamp! ;)

Happy opamp-rolling!
And I fully agree with the statement of rikiheck!
Cheers
Dirk :D

I sent one of these to a friend of mine who has probably the best system I've ever heard. Maggie 3.6s, VTL Signature MB-450s, some insanely rare pre-amp and tonearm, all heavily modified. He was blown away, and one of his audio friends heard it and had to have one, so I sent him one, too.

Judging from all the First Watt stuff Nelson has shared with us, the Aleph schematics, etc, the cost of parts is not that huge for high quality gear. For power amps especially, the chassis is usually the most expensive thing, and by far. For preamps, it's often the pot, if you want a really good one.

I read something along these lines on Troels Gravesen's website the other day: DIY speaker builders can build monstrously heavy, solidly braced boxes for very little money (MDF is cheap) and not have to worry about shipping costs and complaints about how heavy the speakers are. We have all kinds of advantages the commercial outfits don't, really. So if you can learn to solder, etc, you can build really, really great gear at a tiny fraction of what it would cost commercially.

So, in a way, it's hard to fathom that the Whammy could be as good as it is for so little money, but it makes sense in the end.

Of course, none of it would be possible without Nelson and Wayne and 6L6 and ZM and the rest of the community!

Thanks to you for the encouragement! But despite my mistakes I already enjoy assembling and soldering my whammy. as you may have noticed this is the first print circuit i made, but i feel confident thanks to the forum community where there is always someone to help you and thats really great.
I can't wait to sit in my chair and "prendre mon pied" ("have a great time") :D while listening to my, well, our whammy !