WEILIANG DAC5 - WM8741 & Tenor TE7022

Here is a pic of the setup that I keep in my top desk drawer at work;
Sorry the image is displayed upside down, I rotated it and re-uploaded it; same thing...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    899.3 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Has anyone tried the cm6631a usb card yet? it costs $35 vs 40 for the Valab TCXO.

I tested my Op-amp biasing values and they're 1k6. Im just itching to try 2k2.

Ive replaced 2 opamps with muse 8820 and noticed a definite improvement. But I still think they are distorting under the heavy Biasing.

CM6631a USB - Card

Hallo,
I allready tried both cards, and after a lot of hours burning in(200hours!?), the CM 6631 USB card won the competition against the TE7022 (on the DAC 5).
But at the same time, I took 3 x LME 49720 ( from a German seller) on the board! Can be; that ones took this long time of burning in? - At the time I`m very happy with this solution! - Never the less I allready ordered the XMOS AK 4399 USB DAC from Weiliang some weeks ago, but the customs(Zoll) here in cologne are slow :
NEW XMOS AK4399 USB I2S 24Bit 192K DAC decorder Assembled board by weiliang | eBay
Now the question is, if the set-up with the Adam A5x and my tube pre-amp can really show the differences of the two USB cards! Imagination? After all the time, it seemed to me, that the CM 6631 USB card is a lot better than TE7022! I love the DAC 5 with the CM 6631 USB card!:D
Just listen to the music a lot more!
Regards Gabriel!

I was tempted to wait for the 6631 when I purchased mine, but I knew it would require some software, and this setup is for at work; a company that doesn't allow any software to be added. The TE7022 works, as the computer thinks it is a set of powered speakers.
The lme49720 take that long to run in then, I tried to swap a pair in the other day, and they sounded funny, so I took them out. I will have to try again.

After doing similar tweaks to my Dac5

Heres my Mod list on my DAC7 with dual WM8741 chips:
replace 4 opamp biasing resistors from 1k7 to 4k7.
(1k7 is way to much load for the op-amps.)
replace 2 opamps with MUSE8820
remove all the blue 0.1uf capacitors
replace 5 supply capacitors with os-con's.
(The clock and WM chips love the increase in clean power.)

This is money and time well spent I'm very happy!:cool:

For some unknown reason I cant post a picture.:(
Ill try again later.

Hallo,
I allready tried both cards, and after a lot of hours burning in(200hours!?), the CM 6631 USB card won the competition against the TE7022 (on the DAC 5).
But at the same time, I took 3 x LME 49720 ( from a German seller) on the board! Can be; that ones took this long time of burning in? - At the time I`m very happy with this solution! - Never the less I allready ordered the XMOS AK 4399 USB DAC from Weiliang some weeks ago, but the customs(Zoll) here in cologne are slow :
NEW XMOS AK4399 USB I2S 24Bit 192K DAC decorder Assembled board by weiliang | eBay
Now the question is, if the set-up with the Adam A5x and my tube pre-amp can really show the differences of the two USB cards! Imagination? After all the time, it seemed to me, that the CM 6631 USB card is a lot better than TE7022! I love the DAC 5 with the CM 6631 USB card!:D
Just listen to the music a lot more!
Regards Gabriel!

So I decided to rearrange my components inside the metal case I'm using to free up some space for some burson op amps in the future. The shuffling around of the transformers and boards went fine, however, when I turned it back on again, I was rewarded with a "device not recognized" code from windows:(
I will order another board and hope that takes care of it. I really wonder what I could have done to cause it to die, no issues during construction, maybe esd possibly, who knows?
Nice to know the 6631 sounds better, wish I could use it, but need to stick to default drivers in my situation.

So I decided to rearrange my components inside the metal case I'm using to free up some space for some burson op amps in the future. The shuffling around of the transformers and boards went fine, however, when I turned it back on again, I was rewarded with a "device not recognized" code from windows:(
I will order another board and hope that takes care of it. I really wonder what I could have done to cause it to die, no issues during construction, maybe esd possibly, who knows?
Nice to know the 6631 sounds better, wish I could use it, but need to stick to default drivers in my situation.

sorry to hear your board suddently stop working. ever try to another usb cable? or does the s/pdif still working? i had extra unsolder dac5 pcb, drop me a pm if u wish me to mail you the board.

share my 2cents, did some mod, not the dac board,
but the 10pin cm6631a usb card which comes with the DAC5 (transplant to the 9018 board now)

Have improvement extending the top and bottom.
- replaced the bc 100uf with oscon sp (red circule).
P1100210 - Copy.jpg
- replace 2pcs X7R 0.1uf with CP0. (output from 3.3v regulator)
P1100213 - Copy.jpg

Orginal comes with unknown grade ceramic caps.
I did try replace the 104 caps next to clock(blue circule) with a 0.1uf CP0, however, SQ becomes bad.

enjoy ~;)

Here's the photo I promised. It's great to see people testing different components and sharing their results. The OSCON's are great at noise suppression. It may be beneficial to add them on top of the 104's.

Attachments

• dac7.jpg
    dac7.jpg
    632.6 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
I managed to get spdif to the main board, and the output sounds like playing cards in bicycle spokes. It looks like the problem with mine extends beyond the usb board...
Now I need to decide what direction to go from here. Am a little hesitant since I really don't know what or how it went bad.
Kent, now I understand which ceramics you were talking about.

I managed to get spdif to the main board, and the output sounds like playing cards in bicycle spokes. It looks like the problem with mine extends beyond the usb board...
Now I need to decide what direction to go from here. Am a little hesitant since I really don't know what or how it went bad.
Kent, now I understand which ceramics you were talking about.

Maybe try to undo the modiciation piece by piece? was the extra add-on clock causing the problem? just my feelings: the dual 8741 board has extra space to play with the mods.. the dac5 board is a bit small but sound is fantastic.

the multailayer ceramics was on the cm6631board :p

Kent, I tried to walk through what I had done, but the odd thing is I didn't change any of the components, just moved them inside the cabinet.
The external clock board had been working for several weeks, and it was only for the te7022 board. Do you think that could have taken everything out?

I will be afraid to do anything to the new board when it arrives.

Kent, I tried to walk through what I had done, but the odd thing is I didn't change any of the components, just moved them inside the cabinet.
The external clock board had been working for several weeks, and it was only for the te7022 board. Do you think that could have taken everything out?

I will be afraid to do anything to the new board when it arrives.

i also have no idea what went wrongs with digital.... the signal go in first to the wm8805 then the 74hc gate then to wm8841.

I had the same feelling like you now, afraid to modifying too deep until i learn/examine how the system works...:eek:

I think I found the problem: there was a tiny, flat piece of loose solder between a pair of pads that would have grounded the signal out from the 8741, so at least I now have a clue as to what I've done. The piece was close to one of the resistors near the opamp socket, and the nearby 104 box capacitor. I did break protocol by not blowing everything with compressed air as usual, and this is the price.
I did try an spdif input through the 8805, not working there either...
I'm hoping to get it all back again here soon, just waiting for the mail to arrive.
I did take a glance at the sabre 9023, and TE7022 board, looks pretty cool, and tempting, but I just want to get back what I had before hopefully.

I think I found the problem: there was a tiny, flat piece of loose solder between a pair of pads that would have grounded the signal out from the 8741, so at least I now have a clue as to what I've done. The piece was close to one of the resistors near the opamp socket, and the nearby 104 box capacitor. I did break protocol by not blowing everything with compressed air as usual, and this is the price.
I did try an spdif input through the 8805, not working there either...
I'm hoping to get it all back again here soon, just waiting for the mail to arrive.
I did take a glance at the sabre 9023, and TE7022 board, looks pretty cool, and tempting, but I just want to get back what I had before hopefully.

Well I finally purchased an optical cable, and the dac works. I have extra usb, coax cables but not the optical variety. I guess the two devices that I have around that will output spdif aren't producing a useable signal, thanks damuffin.

The windows error (device not recognized) isn't there anymore, and it appears to be playing, yet no sound; strange...

I will have to wait for yet another te7022 board to arrive and then see I guess.

Unless someone know how to troubleshoot the TE7022 board?