Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

A question for Jim or Wayne, finally getting around to building this pre, I got an early kit that has 2SK209GR grade Jfets supplied, but I notice the latest schematic in the store page is showing 2SK209BL grade. Had a quick scan of the thread,but did not see any posts on this.

What is the correct Idss grade for the Toshiba 2SK209 for this design?

Thanks in advance guys.

For me it's not clear how to connect the psu. I have this new toroidal transformer that I never used. It has 2 x 15 volt AC. Actually the voltage is a bit higher, 17 volt. So I need a rectifiers for DC power. How do I go from 2 x AC to 2 x DC with 3 cables (one for ground)? Most images here I can't follow the cables. I should take the ground from the case? Do I need a ground protector loopback?

tor.png

wayne.png

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Bert:

I assume the photo you posted is just an example; the toroid's label indicates the secondaries are 25V. Using that toroid as an example, though, the red and black wires are the primaries -- they would be connected to the 230V AC live (after the fuse and switch) and neutral connections. The orange and yellow wires constitute one secondary and the brown and blue wires are the second secondary. The secondaries are also AC; they need to be connected to rectifiers (e.g., two bridge rectifiers) to convert the voltage from AC to DC. You need a capacitor bank for your power supply, and by properly connecting the DC output from the rectifiers to that capacitor bank you will end up with +DC voltage, Ground and -DC voltage, which is then connected to the two sets of power inputs on the BA2018 pcb.

Keep at it -- you're going to to be very pleased when you've completed your BA2018.

Regards,
Scott

Reactions: 1 users
For me it's not clear how to connect the psu. I have this new toroidal transformer that I never used. It has 2 x 15 volt AC. Actually the voltage is a bit higher, 17 volt. So I need a rectifiers for DC power. How do I go from 2 x AC to 2 x DC with 3 cables (one for ground)? Most images here I can't follow the cables. I should take the ground from the case? Do I need a ground protector loopback?

You need a power supply board to give you rectified, DC filtered power. That isn’t part of the diyAudio store kit.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Using that toroid as an example, though, the red and black wires are the primaries -- they would be connected to the 230V AC live (after the fuse and switch) and neutral connections.
No, the red and black are not the primary on the pictured transformer. The Brown and Blue are the primary wires. As per the label on the transformer and conventional wire colours for mains.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Reactions: 1 user