Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

Do you think audible noise can be reduced by using this kind of resistors in pre-amps?
http://www.vishaypg.com/docs/63140/var.pdf
I never see them in any pre-amp projects but they are made for the purpose?

I think it depends on different factors, such as, where it is in the circuit. Or the gain of that particular part of the circuit.

I was going to try those on the input stage of my 300B SET amps but Gordon Rankin told me the original Shinkoh resistors sound better. He also said lower resistance values don't impart much of a sonic signature.

So maybe the 27K resistor in this circuit possibly be a place to try it. Or the series resistor of a stepped attenuator.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Technically they would reduce the noise, but the active devices will swamp out any possible gains. The only place they would make sense, in my opinion, would be loading resistors on phono, since the Johnson noise of those gets amplified along with the cartridge's information.

In no world could I see the expense of those resistors resulting in gains equal to the cost. For example, the Wayne's 2018 BAF project uses 22 resistors a channel, so to populate a set of boards for single-ended stereo would cost $670...

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Jim, is there a BOM for these boards.

Here's a Mouser cart -

Mouser Electronics

Cart ID # - faf14ca149

This is just the stuffings for STEREO PCBs except one item, the Jfets, which Mouser doesn't have. EDIT: Nevermind, they have everything to stuff the purple PCBs, project cart updated.

DigiKey has a bunch of them... Get (8) for stereo -

2SK209-BL(TE85L,F) Toshiba Semiconductor and Storage | Discrete Semiconductor Products | DigiKey

If anybody wants to make an equivalent full Digikey order please share it here.

Last edited:
Gary S:
Yes, but for DIY projects we do not need that many and if DiyAudioStore buy them in "bulk" we may get them cheaper. It probably requires that PCB layout are made for these as you just want to drop them in.
But if they don't do anything we can measure in terms of noise reduction……..

Last edited:
When you look at how they are made, yes you need the correct lead pitch hole spacing, as they would not tolerate much lead bending.

They might be beneficial in certain positions within the circuit and it would be beneficial to hear from anyone that might have used them, maybe in moving coil and phono preamps for instance.

I am unaware of any high end manufacturers that might be using them - even in $100,000.00 plus amps!!

Reading the Vishay data sheet for them, they state they are specifically made for high end audio, so it would be nice to find out who is actually using them, as Vishay would not be making them if they did not sell.

Here's a Mouser cart -

Mouser Electronics

Cart ID # - faf14ca149

This is just the stuffings for STEREO PCBs except one item, the Jfets, which Mouser doesn't have.

DigiKey has a bunch of them... Get (8) for stereo -

2SK209-BL(TE85L,F) Toshiba Semiconductor and Storage | Discrete Semiconductor Products | DigiKey

If anybody wants to make an equivalent full Digikey order please share it here.

Thanks Jim. Mouser now has the 2SK209 in stock. Buy 10 for the better price then just 8.
2sk209 Semiconductors | Mouser

Last edited:
I am unaware of any high end manufacturers that might be using them - even in $100,000.00 plus amps!!
Reading the Vishay data sheet for them, they state they are specifically made for high end audio, so it would be nice to find out who is actually using them, as Vishay would not be making them if they did not sell.

I know that Khozmo use them for their highend attenuators for the shunt attenuators. They use it for the serie resistor. Leg spacing fits for this kind of resistor. Apart from that I have not seen them in use.

Sheesh - there it is. For some reason I was skimming right over that - repeatedly.

Attachments

• IDDS.PNG
    IDDS.PNG
    173.2 KB · Views: 1,056
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes. I like the Wayne better, but I’ll be hard pressed to say why. But I do

Also remember it’s not really an apples to apples comparison, the BA3 has much more gain

Thanks 6L6. I am using BA3FA/F4 combo. Sound ok but a bit too much gain. That's why I am asking. I will put Wayne's pre into the box and test it with F4.