Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

Wayne's LS has a really nice low output impedance and low DC offset, so I have found that I like an autoformer on the output for more gain (+6). I use the 80% nickel Cinemags (CMOQ-4H). The Jensens's from the F6 work well too. Slightly different character.

Yes, that looks like a perfect solution for what I want. I saw your builds while going through the thread earlier today and realized 6 dB gain using transformers were exactly what I was looking for--and hadn't realized it until I saw it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've got the diagram for the Jensen somewhere too if someone needs it.

Attachments

• cmoq.jpg
    cmoq.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 862
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've got the diagram for the Jensen somewhere too if someone needs it.

Unless you already posted it, I asked about this back when you first added the transformers, I believe they were jensens at first? You may have posted it then. Otherwise I would like to see this with jensen, with my rebuild (got a new board from store) I would like an alternate out with this. One out regular, one out hooked to transformers.

Thanks,

Russellc

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I think if you study the schematic attached to post #1 of this thread, you will discover that the gain of the entire PCB is (R16 + R17)/R17.

Thus you can CHANGE the gain, either upwards or downwards, by changing the resistance value of R16 or R17 or both.

Naturally you must consider the circuit's stability (propensity not to oscillate) too. In this case with single dominant pole compensation, the circuit happens to become more stable when you increase the gain. Good news perhaps, for people who want an extra +6dB.

I think if you study the schematic attached to post #1 of this thread, you will discover that the gain of the entire PCB is (R16 + R17)/R17.

Thus you can CHANGE the gain, either upwards or downwards, by changing the resistance value of R16 or R17 or both.

Naturally you must consider the circuit's stability (propensity not to oscillate) too. In this case with single dominant pole compensation, the circuit happens to become more stable when you increase the gain. Good news perhaps, for people who want an extra +6dB.

Fantastic explanation, Mark! I will experiment, within reason.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Hi all. After successfully completing the Whammy headphone amp and building an external power supply for a pre and power amp I've almost got all the parts sourced for building the BA2018 line stage. I'm looking for some advice regarding the selection of potentiometer for the volume control. I've got two Alps pots to hand, 10k and 50k. Would one of these be better suited than the other, or is there a different value I should be looking at using?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The BA2018 doesn’t care about pot value, your sources do. If you have something that has a tube output, you’ll likely have the best luck with the 50K. If your sources are all solid state output, the 10K will work well.

Try both, see if there’s much of a difference.