Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ya Russellc, I removed them from my F6 boards to try out the autoformer idea.

I thought so. I did the same, but they are in my parts stash. As I recall, and may very well be mistaken, isn't the F6 set up so the front end is a gain stage, with no gain from the transformer, while the M2, with cinemags or Edcors make the gain and the front end merely a buffer?

If I'm correct, are you getting more gain from the cinemags? Or are you using a different cinemags than M2 here in your linestage?

One other question, did you use a cap on the linestage output before the transformer to shield against DC?

I believe I asked 6l6 whether it was necessary given the DC at the linestage output on fire up, but he didn't think the edcors (and presumably the cinemags) would be harmed by it.

Based on this, I think I will forgo the output cap before transformer. My cinemags are on the Sissy Sit boards, so my linestage will either use the jensens, or a spare pair of edcors....which leads back to wondering if your change from Jensen to Cinemags gave more gain.

I may use the jensens in a K.I.S.S. version of iron Zenmods contraption. Seems he told me that would give6db with jensens, and if I needed more to use Edcors.

Have been waiting for store version of iron pre to use jensens.... but am wanting to try on Wayne's 2018 linestage.

Thanks for any clarity,

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2001
Paid Member
All of the current and voltage gain in the F6 is provided by the output stage. The transformer there is used for isolation and a clever way to apply the feedback. Standard buffer in front. M2 uses the autoformer for voltage gain. Output stage is current gain only. I wired my Cinemag for 6db gain, same as before. No cap, I don't see a need for it. As far as "what to build next", there are obviously endless combinations. But I try to keep the gain structure in mind. I personally don't care for having a lot of excess total system gain where you just end up throwing most of it away in the volume control. This is a good linestage, and worth building once boards become available again. I don't plan on replacing mine anytime soon.

Last edited:
Dumb / Newbie question :eek:
What advantage would I hear from this Linestage.. IF fitted to my F6 ?
It currently has a Dact stepped attenuator..only.
No gain issues on My sources .. so far.
Simple attenuator sounds 'Fine' to me, as this replaced a George Wright Pre that was frankly poor on the F6.
(curiously, it worked acceptably for ~10 yrs on a previous amp, but I digress)

Am I missing something important here ?
Or is this a solution to a problem I either don't have or am blissfully unaware of ?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I can’t understand why, particularly if you are driving your attenuator from a strong and low-impedance source, but active stages always sound better to me.

YMMV

it's also matter of following impedance ....... remember why B1 is having a buffer after the pot?

so , Rin of entire shebang established with value of pot itself , Rout of entire shebang established with Rout of buffer , so amp's Rin can be tough as nails

with AVC/TVC , situation is turned upside down - buffer in front of AVC/TVC ........ Rin of entire shebang defined with Rin of buffer , while Rout of entire shebang defined as Rout of buffer , divided with imp. transformation at current tap

there are some losses ( Rdc of coil itself playing some role ) but roughly - you can drive even bigger nails

conclusion - pot is usually pretty lousy generator

Thank you gentlemen.
L6 dunno.. I've not had that; active is better experience.. yet.
Not doubting.. just haven't experienced it is all.
Zen; your techno answer is over my head .. as usual.
I realise that a transformer volume control could be notably better than a pot.
However I've finally learned that there is.. Always.. 'something better' in pretty well all human endeavors.
I am interested, just not currently eager to spend a few hundred $ exploring it.
Simple stoopid Pot is working, satisfyingly.. so far.
My recordings collection isn't large enough to actually warrant what I currently have system wise.. truth be told

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have built and tested the version of this for the store. It is a stereo board that can also be built as balanced by adding a jumper. The distortion comes close to the AP limits. It will mount in the store chassis on MM spacing.

Attachments

• IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    747.6 KB · Views: 849
  • IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 858